Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Butter Jones Rushed to Emerg. Vet Today

So today we had been out shopping all day as it is Boxing Day here and we hit some sales. Anyway, we got home and Butter Jones came up to me and when I picked him up I could hear and feel him breathing labored and he would leave his mouth open and he was puffing his cheeks in and out as he was trying to breathe. Off to the emerg. vet we went. We got there, they saw him and the desk and rushed him back to immediately put him in the oxygen tent. They wouldn't let me go back with him and I sat in the waiting room crying. The vet came and got me and did his initial exams and said "your kitten is very very sick". She did blood work and x-rays and said he has pneumonia. She said his counts are good all things considered which is definitely positive.

However, on the first xray, she said showed the left side of his heart was larger and said his heart looked "valentine shaped". She said it did not show that in the second x-rays, which was side view of chest but said she still wanted to let me know as that the asymmetrical heart can indicate HCM. She did say that it could have been the positioning of the kitten, or the xray, so she was definitely not saying there was a heart issue but that she needed to make me aware to follow up with my vet and to look at getting him scanned as a preventative measure as she knew this was an issue with the breed.

So I stood there and looked at my baby and further broke into tears and thought I was going to puke. Not only is she telling me he is very sick with pneumonia but she said those dreaded words. She said in her professional opinion it was not indicative and that she advises me that it was not something to worry about at this time. She likened it to finding a spot on a human x-ray is not a diagnosis of anything without further testing.

Anyway, he is on Azythromycin and gentamicin in his eyes. Every time I hear him cough and wheeze, I break out into tears again. I love this little guy so much. He just has to get better and be healthy.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We would appreciate it so much.

Gizzymom

Banned
As I already said on your FB, Kris... we are full of prayers and good wishes for you and Butters. Tell Butters we hope he feels better soon!!!

And we will keep fingers and paws crossed that the xray view was a fluke and Butters will be happy and healthy once he kicks this icky pneumonia!!:Sick:

Thank you so much! When we came home, both Amaryllis took turns coming over and licking on him. I believe they know he is ill. Amaryllis has been laying with him most of the night.

Gizzymom

Banned
Thank you so much! When we came home, both Amaryllis took turns coming over and licking on him. I believe they know he is ill. Amaryllis has been laying with him most of the night.

Awwww... I am glad he has Amaryllis there comforting him. That is always nice when you are sick. Also, I love your new profile pic of Butters! He looks so handsome!!:ThumbsUp:

I already posted on your fb also.
Did you see the post on your fb about 2 more cats from your breeder that were sick also?
Prayers for him to get better.

I saw Monica's post on my FB about one her boys coming sick but they are not from Butter's breeder.

One of her boys is Butter's uncle and the other a cousin on his mom's side but again from another breeder. I didn't see any other posts from anyone about their cats being ill.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Blood Lines will not cause what he has.
Did you tell his breeder he is sick?
We must have posted at the same time since I was putting blood lines after I said breeder.

JacksMom

Banned
I hated reading it on facebook and it just breaks my heart to read it again here because I know (or atleast I can imagine) how scary this must be for you having your baby sick. I said a prayer for him earlier and will continue to keep him in my prayers. Keep positive on the hcm thing, too, xray readings can totally be skewed based on the position or angle of the xray. Prayers to Butter boy!

kaoticharmony

Banned
I hope he feels better soon... and hugs to you. I know what you are going through... I have been so afraid of losing my Shiva. I found myself holding him and breaking down in tears... The problem with Shiva was that all he knew was he was somehow making mommy cry. As hard as it is keep your spirits up when you are around him.
Let him know everything will be okay... he just has to be strong. He won't give up as long as you don't. He needs your strength and reassurance.

My kitties all send purrs and headbutts.
Shiva sends an extra special one for Butter Jones and you

I send love and good wishes.

susi794

Staff member
I am hitting my knees right now Kris...praying for Butter to get better and for the xray to be just a fluke. One of the vets I took Boo to when all my cats were sick told me he had an enlarged heart and that it was indicative of HCM too--got me all worked up. But Boo scanned neg. for HCM in July and his heart isn't enlarged. So take heart in the fact that an xray doesn't mean too much when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Much love,
Susi

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor butter!!! Try not to worry...you got him to the vet quick and he's on meds, and he has lots of love and care. Its horrible to see them sick!!!
Dont worry about the xray yet though...it could totally be nothing....I know its easy to say dont worry...and harder to do it.
Thinking of you guys lots!!!
Love your profile pic!

Back