Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Buying a rehomed sphynx, thoughts/tips/suggestions?

Laurwadz

Lairian
I have been in search of an emotional support animal and after extensive research I’ve fallen in love with Sphynx. My preference is to have an older cat and I found someone rehoming 3 Sphynx cats, 1 of which is a 4 year old male. They are asking $800 for a rehoming fee, he is fixed and the owner said they will provide vaccines, vet checks and the last HCM test. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that despite many comments interested in the cats, all 3 cats are still available even though the post has been up for a few days. I’m going tomorrow to meet the cat, is there anything I should be privy to/ suspicious of/ know since I’m a (potential!) first time sphynx owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Truly look at the paperwork and dates of scans and health checks. Ask about litter box habits, what litter, what type of litter box, what food etc. Look over the cat are eyes clear, skin clear.I’d ask if they bathe them and how often. I’d also ask in the dynamics of their current home how would she describe him...is he the alpha cat etc.

Why are they rehoming 3 cats? They might still have them posted in hopes they all go to the same home perhaps? Let us know how it goes. Good luck! @Laurwadz. Welcome to Sphynxlair!!!!

Laurwadz

Lairian
Truly look at the paperwork and dates of scans and health checks. Ask about litter box habits, what litter, what type of litter box, what food etc. Look over the cat are eyes clear, skin clear.I’d ask if they bathe them and how often. I’d also ask in the dynamics of their current home how would she describe him...is he the alpha cat etc.

Why are they rehoming 3 cats? They might still have them posted in hopes they all go to the same home perhaps? Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Those are all excellent questions and I will make a note to as them all and double check him for those things!

She actually already told me his wash and moisturize regime as well as diet(1x a week bath, olive oil moisturizer, Rohan canin soft and wet food). I believe the reason she’s giving them up is that she is an essential worker and has had highly increased hours since Covid and can’t provide them the attention/love they deserve. She seems genuinely sad to let them go, I asked her when was a good time to rehome and she “ideally never because I love them”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Great advice given by @Catzzzmeow. Seems like you have the answer why the cats are still with the owner: she loves them dearly and will not let them go to another home easily. That's a good thing. My ex-breeder girl Jade was up for adoption for 6 months. Just ask all the questions, look into the paperwork and decide if you want to go for it. Also ask about the bond between the 3 cats. It can be hard for a cat when they are all of the sudden alone after years of being together when those 3 are best buddies

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laurwadz welcome, glad you are asking questions. I have 4 adult adoptees. one was nearly a scam off a hoobly ad. I did ask the questions Patti mentioned.

I also asked to see any vet records. I kindly requested a "wellness check". she obliged and emailed me the dated receipt and results. ask about spraying, behavioral, tummy or poo issues. are these retired breeder sphynx?

the rehoming fees for my adults were $250 , Toby was $450 , negotiated , I had to pay to get him neutered, my retiree girl came HCM scanned, spayed, full medical history, papered ,lots of goodies and was $600 (originally imported for much more). I typically see rehoming fees for an adult HCM full medical records for $600.

Back