Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cage Cats

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't cage my cats, but when Jack was really young when he was really sick he couldn't make it to the litter box so I bought one of those really tall 3 level cat cages to contain his poop. I still have it and all it has in it is cat beds and toys and a small cat scratcher and a small litter box. All the cats love it in there. I leave the door open 24/7 and they prefer to be in there to play and sleep. Is that weird? They have toys and scratchers and a large litter box and whatnot in the house but they really love the cage. The other two have never expirienced it with the door shut. Are they crazy? Do cats like "dens" like dogs do?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yea Mo and Lola seem to love anything they can go inside, boxes, carrier cases, wardrobes etc. My bengal used to go and sit in the litter box to rest when I first got her! I think she felt safe in there. I think they do just love little dens and places they can go in to play and claim as theirs where they feel safe.

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
I was looking for a nice cat carrier and eventhough there were less expensive and more conveniently shaped models, I just couldn't get past the Sleepypod. When I splurged, I knew it was because I just liked it and figured the whole schpeel about it being a stress-free travel option because it's also a bed for home was just hooey marketing. Turns out Sabrina loves to nap in her Sleepypod. I keep the top open and a blankie and some toys in there. I keep it on the bed down by the footboard so it's still near, and she can even sit inside and watch TV if she wants. We also have one of thos Kittywalk 5 level over the door thingies and she loves to go to the top cubby hole and just chill.

So, yeah, I'd have to say they like a safe haven...especially if it's one where they think nobody can see them but they can see everybody! LOL

dragynflye

Lairian
when i first brought the orphans home, i kept them confined to a dog kennel when i wasn't around to watch them. now that they have graduated to run of the bedroom, i still usually find them hanging out and napping in the kennel, even though there are tons of other hidey holes and beds in the room.

the boys love to hop up and hang out while i'm cleaning the rat or ferret cages, too. of course, cage cleaning doesn't take too long, so they don't get to spend a whole lotta time in there.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Mom has a three level cage that has three separate cages/litter pan areas for nursing queens (it was an investment for the future)- so far, the cats in the house LOVE it. They all go in and out of the different levels, sleep in the beds that were put in there, hang out...

I know my cats LOVE any hidey-hole they can find- cat trees in particular, so I'd imagine same thing with the cages- to them, it's just another fun place to hang out.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The Tokyo cage is great for breeding. I had one set up in my living room when I raised Maine Coons; perches were layered inside and the top door was always open so that the queens could easily leave and enter. It kept the kittens contained while keeping them in a busy room for socialization but the mommas didn't have to be locked up. When the kittens turned 5 weeks old I'd open the bottom door and put a carpeted ramp from the bottom edge of that door to the floor. When the babies could tumble out they were big enough to have the run of the house when we were there to keep an eye on them. Plus it made a really safe familiar place for the kittens while we were sleeping. I would have preferred to let them have the run of my bedroom but my stud lived there.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't know anything about breeding cats so exuse my ignorance but would the male cat hurt the babies?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't think he would have hurt them intentionally. But his playing was really rough and I didn't want to risk it.

susi794

Staff member
I don't know anything about breeding cats so exuse my ignorance but would the male cat hurt the babies?

My stud, Moody, was the best daddy ever. He would take over the grooming, etc. when one of my queens went to use the litterbox or go eat. He loved those babies and fretted over them just like the girls did.

The last pic was taken right after Habibi had had her first litter of kittens--she was tired and Moody was soooooo loving to her--he was holding her hand if you look closely. Moody would NEVER have hurt one of his babies. My vet said that males killing kittens is mostly a wives tale, but might happen in the wild where food is at a premium--and then the stud would only hurt someone else's kittens, not his own...and then only to protect the food supply. My Moody wouldn't hurt a flea. And he is and always has been, a hands on daddy. I hated to neuter him.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My stud, Moody, was the best daddy ever. He would take over the grooming, etc. when one of my queens went to use the litterbox or go eat. He loved those babies and fretted over them just like the girls did. The last pic was taken right after Habibi had had her first litter of kittens--she was tired and Moody was soooooo loving to her--he was holding her hand if you look closely.

I think I'm in love with Moody. What a wonderful kitty.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My stud, Moody, was the best daddy ever. He would take over the grooming, etc. when one of my queens went to use the litterbox or go eat. He loved those babies and fretted over them just like the girls did.

The last pic was taken right after Habibi had had her first litter of kittens--she was tired and Moody was soooooo loving to her--he was holding her hand if you look closely. Moody would NEVER have hurt one of his babies. My vet said that males killing kittens is mostly a wives tale, but might happen in the wild where food is at a premium--and then the stud would only hurt someone else's kittens, not his own...and then only to protect the food supply. My Moody wouldn't hurt a flea. And he is and always has been, a hands on daddy. I hated to neuter him.

That is so sweet, what a lovely daddy! :BigSmile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was looking for a nice cat carrier and eventhough there were less expensive and more conveniently shaped models, I just couldn't get past the Sleepypod. When I splurged, I knew it was because I just liked it and figured the whole schpeel about it being a stress-free travel option because it's also a bed for home was just hooey marketing. Turns out Sabrina loves to nap in her Sleepypod. I keep the top open and a blankie and some toys in there. I keep it on the bed down by the footboard so it's still near, and she can even sit inside and watch TV if she wants. We also have one of thos Kittywalk 5 level over the door thingies and she loves to go to the top cubby hole and just chill.

So, yeah, I'd have to say they like a safe haven...especially if it's one where they think nobody can see them but they can see everybody! LOL

I finally had the chance to see what a "Sleepypod" is. What a great looking carrier. It doesn't look heavy or too bulky. All they need is a stroller base and you couldn't ask for anything more.

Back