Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cameras -- what do you use & like?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hope this is okay to post here.

With the impending arrival of my naked, I'm looking at cameras, which I don't buy often. I've had the high end digitals, and they're so unwieldy. I had a Canon G2 (which was great), then a G9 (which I did not like), and that's where it's stopped.

My BFF has had great experience with her Canon PowerShot SX700 HS, and she has two cats, a turtle, and her yard is home to many squirrels. She takes great shots.

What cameras do you use and have liked as well as disliked?

Cheers.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use a canon rebel t5i and really like it.

Here are some examples

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I would recommend a portrait lens (no zoom) for DSLR.

I also find that the camera in my iPhone 5s can be really nice :)image.jpg

I bought a cheap digital camera (Samsung) for $50 from Amazon at first and it really sucked. Every photo was blurry.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so struggling. Part of me wants to go (pardon the expression) "balls out" with a new camera, but expenses are pretty tight right now for us (we're buy two new cars today... ugh). So I'm thinking of a decent point and shoot to hold me over. Maybe I'll make a promise that if I finally learn how to actually take acceptable photos, THEN I deserve a Rebel. ;-) heee.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Personally as much as you want great photos, spending money on a camera is not cheap if you really "go for it." From experience getting a new kitten will be expensive enough. Wait a year and upgrade once you have gotten through the first year of bumps in the road and expected neuter expenses etc. no matter how great the pictures are, they can never compare to the memories in our heads.

Patti

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a Sony a5000 and it is a compact DSLR that I really like. It is small enough to fit in my purse and takes some pretty good pictures. The lense isn't great for trying to get distance shots but for close up cat pictures it is great.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sigh - still using my icky ipad camera and terrible samsung galaxy s4 :(
Time to break out my ole little cool pix! If I can find the charger :)
Yes, agree with Patti
And the best pics are taken with my mind :)

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use a Pentax K-x DSLR when I want good pictures, and the iPhone for most quick snapshots. (I think the majority of the pix we've posted on the forum are iPhone pix- they are always handy! Lol)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I picked up the Canon SX700 last night, and it seems quite nice, although I haven't had a chance to dive into it yet. It's the lightest digital I've owned and feels good in my hands.

I was amused that I could "name" the camera. When I told hubby he said, "kitteh". So I named it "kitteh"... after all, it was bought to take photos of Max :cat:

Nefertari

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I recently bought a Nikon D5100 and im in love! My old digital point and shoot was a Nikon Coolpix S8200 and also takes lovely photos.
But the difference in photo's is amazing . Sharp,focused and clear although i do need to read the manual a few more times haha

deanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a Canon m (which I love Unconditionally) its the perfect size for me and my husband has a Canon 60D

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just bought a cheap Nikon Coolpix S6800. The lens seems ok for a cheap camera but I find the focus and shutter speed excruciatingly slow (not good for my VERY impatient and reluctant feline subject). Probably wouldn't recommend but it's still better than the horrible one on my cheap phone. (You can tell where my priorities currently are... lol)

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
90% of my pics are taken with my phone (MotoX, not the greatest camera) but last summer I bought a used Canon S90 for diving. I've taken some great pics with it, I feel like it was good bang for the buck, especially for someone just getting into photography. It has manual mode and takes pics in RAW, so when I'm feeling motivated I'll take it out and have some fun editing in post, which I have to do for all my diving pics anyway
I'm still learning all the camera settings, for whatever reason it is hard for me to remember what ISO and aperture/F-stop mean, and that increasing ISO increases the noise/grain in a picture, but increasing the F-stop lets *less* light in and not more -_-. It's a lot to think about when you're trying to get the perfect shot!

Once I have a handle on everything, I'd like to upgrade to a bigger camera with lenses I can switch out. That's probably awhile out though, since a nice camera with an underwater housing/strobe set up is going to be several thousand, most likely!

Cleos mom

Lairian
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have been a photographer for many years and actually have a degree in photography. Right now I am using a canon 7D. I always recommend the canon line of cameras. They seem more user friendly than other brands. The rebel is a great little camera I had one for years! You can't go wrong with them. (I've actually found a forum about sphynx kitties AND cameras? Oh I think I have found my people!!!) Here are some photos I've done with my 7D.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 69156 View attachment 69152 View attachment 69153 View attachment 69154 View attachment 69155 View attachment 69151 I have been a photographer for many years and actually have a degree in photography. Right now I am using a canon 7D. I always recommend the canon line of cameras. They seem more user friendly than other brands. The rebel is a great little camera I had one for years! You can't go wrong with them. (I've actually found a forum about sphynx kitties AND cameras? Oh I think I have found my people!!!) Here are some photos I've done with my 7D.
Wow! beautiful pictures! I know @Catzzzmeow is into photography as well and has some great stuff. (y)