Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Can I do good here?

JadeSphynx

Lairian
Hey!

So I’m a hairless kitty momma of two. they are the absolute joys of my life. I have always been insanely allergic to cats and these little hairless babies allowed me to fulfill my dream of having a cat. My girl is spayed, but my boy is not as I have been letting the breeder continue to breed with him as he has been for the past 3 years before I brought him home.

Now my breeder friend is moving out of the country partly due to hardships with COVID. one of his girls just had a litter from my boy. He offered me payment, one of their kittens, or to take in his lovely girl and continue breeding the pair on my own after he moves away in a few months.

I have some experience with helping cats in birth and pregnancy (I worked in vets offices for a few years and helped with some friends cats). I would love to take in his girl and make sure she has a good home, and I would love to try and breed them for the love of the breed. I’m not really interested in shows or anything, just having healthy happy pets. Both cats have great bloodlines and a clean bill of health. What would I be getting myself into? I understand basics, but I really want to understand how to do it correctly and if it would be something beneficial for the cats and also something I would be capable of.

of course I’ve spoken with my breeder friend about it, but I feel like he may be making it sound a bit easier than it might be because he wants his girl in my home. He sees how much I care for my cats and I know he wants her to wind up in a situation like mine. I just want to do the right thing.

im afraid of insane costs (I have a degree to pay off still haha), and I’m also afraid of not doing the right thing. I don’t want to take this task on if I have a doubt that I can manage everything properly. I also don’t want to see this girl go somewhere where she won’t be properly cared for and loved due to how quick everything is happening.

sorry for the novel, I just really need some opinions. I grew up around a lot of puppy-mills and horrible experiences with breeding and I have a lot of reservations. But I’ve learned about the community of people breeding properly and with love, and I would love to be a part of something so beautiful. This could either be a wonderful opportunity, or a huge undertaking for someone with too much love and clouded judgement.

thank you for your time!

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would get parents and kittens DNA gene tested for HCM.

It is in conjunction with the yearly scans, you can do it yourself and is a one off inexpensive test.

Breeding homozygous cats is not recommended.

SPHYNX HCM DNA TEST

This test is available to all of us, pet owners and breeders. Taking the test can help save lives. More information can be found here...

There is also a Facebook page for breeders aswell.

Search Sphynx DNA HCM test group

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It can certainly be expensive as all responsible breeders will HCM scan their breeding cats yearly, which I've read can cost up to $600 in some Countries. I'm sure the cost to feed kittens adds up as well as vetting for them (spay & neuters for ALL kittens before going to a forever home, vaccines). I'm sure it can be quite time consuming as well, in the beginning I'd imagine you'd have to weigh kittens daily to make sure none of their weights are dropping, and if they are then you'd have to supplement moms milk with formula too. Its great that you're already looking for advice and knowledge before getting into anything :)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also, if you bring an unspayed girl into your home, your male may start spraying, if he isn’t doing that already.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very true very expensive with vet bills for medical care.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yeah if it was me I would bring her in and get them both neutered. I would not want to go through everything entailed in breeding. But that’s just me.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've adopted retirees (from breeding and showing). When the cats get to be a certain age, part of being a breeder must be knowing when to let the breeding cats retire and just be loved on as 4-legged family members. I'm not sure how old are the 2 that we're talking about but maybe with your friend moving away, it's time.

JadeSphynx

Lairian
Thank you all for your input! I decided to get my boy neutered. I agree that it's time for him to just be a pet and nothing more. As for the other girl, she has not yet been spayed and I am having a hard time getting the breeder to do so. If she isn't spayed I don't see her getting along with my current girl as they didn't in the past. I am however working on a deal to get her to live with a friend of mine, who will be able to spay her at their own discretion.

Maybe one day when I'm all settled and I have the funds I will look into breeding. Or at least help someone who does. I have all the love to give for these Lil naked critters haha