Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Can I trust this vet? *HCM SCANNING*

Josie9

Lairian
I haven’t got my Sphynx yet but have been looking into the breed. I know that I need to annually get my cat scanned for HCM, but I didn’t know how much it would cost. I emailed a vet near me (a private vet) and asked how much I’d be looking at paying to get my cat scanned for HCM yearly, and also whether they offer this service. Here is the email I got in response. Should I trust this? She told me that it would be £50. I know that people in America are paying up to $600 per cat so I don’t know if I can trust it? Advice? Thank you fellow Sphynx lovers :)

Attachments

• 41689B76-0F5A-4D19-873F-9C74D9BE2573.jpeg
    41689B76-0F5A-4D19-873F-9C74D9BE2573.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 40

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I haven’t got my Sphynx yet but have been looking into the breed. I know that I need to annually get my cat scanned for HCM, but I didn’t know how much it would cost. I emailed a vet near me (a private vet) and asked how much I’d be looking at paying to get my cat scanned for HCM yearly, and also whether they offer this service. Here is the email I got in response. Should I trust this? She told me that it would be £50. I know that people in America are paying up to $600 per cat so I don’t know if I can trust it? Advice? Thank you fellow Sphynx lovers :)

Its best to use a board certified cardiologist. Be sure this is what they are using- Cardiac Ultrasound (Echocardiogram): This test allows the visual examination of the interior of the heart, its valves, and its surrounding structures via ultrasonography. It is a sophisticated diagnostic tool. :)

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@admin gave some great advice! Personally that does not seem right to me at all. I emailed my vet a couple of days ago asking the same question, and they quoted me $500 + tax for the ultrasound here in Canada.

Josie Ent

Lairian
Hi sorry only just seen your post so might be a little too late. I work at the University of Liverpool small animal hospital. We have a cardiology department and they scan for HCM an echocardiogram is usually around £350 the consultation is £140 please don’t settle for cheap scans as you won’t get the correct results. I’ve just have my kitten re scanned it took about 30mins for the cardiologist to scan both sides of his heart and take all the measurements she needed. Again sorry the reply is late but I hope it helps xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back