Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Can kittens eat at 3-4 weeks

J

Jinxlover

Hay..Me again..
My friend found kittens today while cleaning out there shop. They were in a pile of insulation, they did not know they were there.
The momma ran away and has not come back, so now they have 4 kittens with no momma. She is guessing they are around 4 weeks. She called the pound and they said they would just put them to sleep b/c they were to young to mess with(how sad). She does not want that to happen. I don't want to go over there, I don't want to make my Berries sick if they might have something. She said they are up walking around with there eyes open and look healthy but I'm not going to take any chances with my Berries.
So this is my question.. Can they eat on there own at around 4 weeks or is that to young to teach them to eat.. (She will not bottle feed them).

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wasn't there something just on here about an orphan kitten formula called Glop?? Maybe that would work, I think they can probably eat but it would need to be something like that not regular food

J

Jinxlover

Wasn't there something just on here about an orphan kitten formula called Glop?? Maybe that would work, I think they can probably eat but it would need to be something like that not regular food

LOL...That was my Berries Thread, it was the first thing I tough of also...But I'm not sure if these are to young to eat it..Im not sure you can teach a kitten to eat that young.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Your friend can try a little bit of wet kitten food.
I have dealt with many kittens younger then that.
She can also give them KMR in a bottle if they do not eat the wet food.
Just give a little food at a time.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's right! I dont know, maybe birthday suit would know as she has used it, I have seen kittens at the vet clinic I worked at eating as soon as they had tiny teeth, it's worth a shot. If they are walking well, I am not sure you would get them to accept a bottle anyway, they are already used to momma.

susi794

Staff member
They can probably eat if what they have is soft enough--my hairy kittens when I was a kid have been weaned at 6 weeks, so they should be able to eat at 4 wks. Not sure at 3. How long has the mother been gone? Maybe if she stays away from them, the mother will come back.

J

Jinxlover

They can probably eat if what they have is soft enough--my hairy kittens when I was a kid have been weaned at 6 weeks, so they should be able to eat at 4 wks. Not sure at 3. How long has the mother been gone? Maybe if she stays away from them, the mother will come back.

Thats what I told her.. That after dark the mom may come back and move them to leave them alone for now.. She left them in the same spot in a box in hopes mom will come back for them. It's still cold here at night tho so if it gets to late she might have to bring them in so they don't freeze.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
This is just me but I'd leave them alone and check in the middle of the night to see if mama came back. If not I'd go ahead and take them and try some wet kitten food. If they are unable to take to that then I'd try GLOP. It will be a struggle to feed them as they are probably used to nursing by now but with patience she should get them to take it. The mama cat sounds like she may be feral and just not up for human contact. I hope she came back and all is well but atleast if she takes the kittens in, your not worried about them freezing thru the night without their mom and you know your taking care of them. The mother cat has obviously been fending for her own so atleast she can take care of herself if needed. Knowing me I know I'd leave a bowl of food for her tho. lol Poor little kitties, I hope it all works out.

J

Jinxlover

She's so funny.. She just called me in a panic that one of the kittens is lost..LOL.
I told her that it was most likely not lost, that her momma probably came back and got her. She should go inside and peek out the back window and see if momma is back and moving them. Sure enough, It was momma back for her babies.:ThumbsUp: So I guess all is well..Thanks guys

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Glop would work in this situation, but really- 3 week old kittens would not survive on solids alone without a lot of assistance from someone. 4 weeks- you are pushing it. 5 weeks- most kittens would survive.

If I am handfeeding a kitten, I start introducing it to eating solids at 4ish weeks.

I am glad these babies are doing good :) I have had a hard time in the past with not bringing in foster babies anymore- I really want to do it, but can't risk illness either. Sigh.

gizmo6370

Banned
They could eat solid food from 4ish weeks off....i usually give them Royal Canin babycat soaked in kittenformula......and after a few days....i give them the babycat dry:Smile:

susi794

Staff member
Hurray that mama has come and picked them up...but so sad that another unhomed family goes on to make more another day. I wish people would spay/neuter so stuff like this doesn't happen so often. It makes me so sad to say no to all the cats that appear at my door...but can't risk the illness either.

Back