Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Can you make your cat puke safely?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
So late last night around 1am Snuffie started with this awful coughing, alot the way Johnny sounded a couple of weeks ago. She settled down and went to sleep with us as usual, again this afternoon it happened while I was away paying bills. It's almost like there is something stuck in her throat and she can't get it out, not to mention everytime she sounds like she's yacked it up she swallows and I think she is just swallowing whatever is trying to come up.

She is still eating and pooping, I can't think of a single thing it could be that she ate except I had chicken last night and gave her a peice of gricel just like I always have. She has never had problems with it so I thought nothing of it. When she is sleeping she is fine, no coughing.
Not sure what to do other than a vet visit and unfortunatley all of my money is gone so I'm hoping for a in home remedy. Being laid off for a year hasn't helped me one bit. And my unemployment runs out on Jan 6th thanks to congress. We aren't even having a Christmas this year because we will be lucky to keep the lights and gas on. :Cry:

So what I've done to try and figure it out is:
I've opened her mouth and looked down her throat - nothing.
I've massaged her throat/neck in hopes of helping it come up.
I've sat and rocked her and prayed to god to help her and she started coughing it up but then she swallowed it again.
I've fed her a little tuna with olive oil hoping to lube her pipes up - didn't work.
She ate her dinner normally, went and used the litterbox normally but has this mysterious cough.

Any thoughts??

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
HHMMM kind of sounds like what Athena wa doing 2 years ago when she ate the turkey bone:Sweat: There was nothing stuck in her throat but it was in her belly, but the bone scratched her throat on the way down and made her gag like you are explaining but nothing really came out. The vet gave us something called laxatone it is toothpaste like and I had to get ger to eat it, he said it would sooth the scratch and help what was in her belly not get stuck on the way out. It did work. Maybe you find something like it in a pet store? It's not a medicine.
I sure hope this helps.

Inferno12

Banned
I have felt the same about Johnny. I actually found videos of other cats on Youtube that have asthma and that helped me be convinced that it is asthma and not something stuck in his throat. I would maybe look at those and see if it is the same kind of thing. Johnny gets to the point where he gags at the end too but the vet says its just the coughing thats causing a gag reflex. I dont know what to do other than say that it sounds like Johnnys deal. It could be seasonal allergies that is causing it or maybe a change in food. Also the vet said that I needed to change my filter in the heater because that could trigger it too. Think of all the things that could cause a humans asthma to trigger and see if there is anything to pinpoint a change.

FYI... My vet trip cost me almost $200 because there was the initial fee then the X-rays and the meds.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thanks for the replies thus far. I'll certainly look into that laxatone tonight just to see if maybe I can give it to her without causing her harm incase she doesn't need it.

Also in regards to asthma...wouldn't it flare before now? She is 1.5 years old now and her food change was over 2 months ago now and the heat has been on since mid October. We do live in a older house and it wouldn't surprise me if it were dust or something because this house even grosses me out but I keep it the best I can, especially since Jimmy has allergies and we have to keep it a certain level of clean for his health sake.

I just hope it stops. She is still purring when I pick her up and acting normal.
She even had me hold her for a while when she was having a episode, broke my heart. She is so attached to me and me to her and I'm in this financial crap and feel so helpless.
Not to mention,,,why does she always have to get sick on a freakin weekend when emergency rates apply?!?! lol

TotenEngel

Banned
I'm sat racking my brain what we used to give suspected poisoning cases when I was working in practice, I'm thinking charcoal but not 100% sure :(

From wikipedia:
An emetic, such as syrup of ipecac, is a substance that induces vomiting when administered orally or by injection. An emetic is used medically where a substance has been ingested and must be expelled from the body immediately (for this reason, many toxic and easily digestible products such as rat poison contain an emetic). Inducing vomiting can remove the substance before it is absorbed into the body. Ipecac abuse can cause detrimental health effects.
Salt water and mustard water have been used since ancient times as emetics.[3] Care must be taken with salt, as excessive intake can potentially be harmful.[4][5]
Copper sulfate was also used in the past as an emetic.[6][7] It is now considered too toxic for this use.[8]

No idea what syrup of ipecac is though???

Inferno12

Banned
Syrup of ipecac.....ha ha.....It is a syrup that will make someone puke for a long long time. We were cleaning out an old cabinet at work and found a 20 year old bottle and paid this firefighter $20 to drink it (he had no idea what it was but we did) and he threw up for days!!!

Sorry for the off subject post but I thought I would share what ipecac was :LOL::LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm sat racking my brain what we used to give suspected poisoning cases when I was working in practice, I'm thinking charcoal but not 100% sure :(

From wikipedia:
An emetic, such as syrup of ipecac, is a substance that induces vomiting when administered orally or by injection. An emetic is used medically where a substance has been ingested and must be expelled from the body immediately (for this reason, many toxic and easily digestible products such as rat poison contain an emetic). Inducing vomiting can remove the substance before it is absorbed into the body. Ipecac abuse can cause detrimental health effects.
Salt water and mustard water have been used since ancient times as emetics.[3] Care must be taken with salt, as excessive intake can potentially be harmful.[4][5]
Copper sulfate was also used in the past as an emetic.[6][7] It is now considered too toxic for this use.[8]

No idea what syrup of ipecac is though???

Syrup of ipecac is what we use in the US for humans to puke. I'm not sure I could safely give that to a kitty. Not to mention if it didn't come back up it can make you very ill even as a human. I wouldn't want to use that on Snuffie. Thanks for the info tho. I appreciate it.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Syrup of ipecac.....ha ha.....It is a syrup that will make someone puke for a long long time. We were cleaning out an old cabinet at work and found a 20 year old bottle and paid this firefighter $20 to drink it (he had no idea what it was but we did) and he threw up for days!!!

Sorry for the off subject post but I thought I would share what ipecac was :LOL::LOL::LOL:

OUCH,,,that would not be fun at all!!!! I'm broke as a joke and that isn't worth $20 for me! lol

TotenEngel

Banned
OK, I'd have been the fool to drink it as never heard of it before!!!:LOL:

Sorry it wasn't as much help as I hoped :(

Maybe another option would be to find a safe cough medication to use, if as ilovemysphynx suggested she has scratched her throat with something on the way down, maybe something to soothe it might help while its healing?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
This is what I've found - scary:

Not sure I want to do this at all! But here is some info

HOW TO INDUCE VOMITING
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING IF YOUR CAT
1. Has already vomited.

2. Is unconscious or convulsing.

3. Has swallowed an acid, alkali, cleaning solution, household chemical, petroleum product.

4. Has swallowed a sharp object that could lodge in the esophagus or perforate the stomach.

5. Has swallowed the poison more than two hours before.

INDUCE VOMITING BY GIVING
1. Hydrogen peroxide 3 percent (most effective): one teaspoon per five pounds body weight (up to three teaspoons per dose) every 10 minutes or until the cat vomits. Repeat three times only.

2. Syrup of Ipecac (not Ipecac Fluid Extract, which is 14 times stronger): 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds body weight once only. NOTE: Do not give a second dose unless approved by a veterinarian because of toxic effects on the heart if the cat does not vomit the syrup.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Found a store close by with hairball remedy - he couldn't gaurentee laxatone but I'm gonna try to go find something with the same active ingredients atleast. And of course its snowing. lol

The things we do for our kitties. Keep ya'll posted!

Inferno12

Banned
INDUCE VOMITING BY GIVING
1. Hydrogen peroxide 3 percent (most effective): one teaspoon per five pounds body weight (up to three teaspoons per dose) every 10 minutes or until the cat vomits. Repeat three times only.

2. Syrup of Ipecac (not Ipecac Fluid Extract, which is 14 times stronger): 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds body weight once only. NOTE: Do not give a second dose unless approved by a veterinarian because of toxic effects on the heart if the cat does not vomit the syrup.

Number one is a good one to try on the guys!

I think number two should add, NOTE: do not drink one full bottle or if its expired! :LOL::LOL:

I hope the hairball remedy works and you dont have to make her throw up. Its terrible to see them cough like that

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Number one is a good one to try on the guys!

I think number two should add, NOTE: do not drink one full bottle or if its expired! :LOL::LOL:

I hope the hairball remedy works and you dont have to make her throw up. Its terrible to see them cough like that

LOL - Guys can be idiots at times!

I found some generic Hartz crap - it has some of the same ingredients. It won't hurt to give it to her so what the heck. I'm willing to try it. She ate it right up so hopefully it will help. She got up and went and say by her favorite vent and haven't heard a cough yet. Well nevermind, she just did a tiny one.

Fingers crossed here! Keep ya'll posted.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
not sure i have anything good to offer. I do hope she feels better soon.
As for looking for something to help her throw up... last christmas my fiancee's grandmas dog ate chocolate, we called the vet and they told us we needed him to throw up asap- and for us to give him a tablespoon of peroxide in order to make him throw up. it worked. but he threw up A LOT (numerous piles)... it's is a stratch this will highly irritate her throat.
good luck, hope she feels better soon!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

You are so friken bad IT IS FUNNY.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

emmysmom10

Lairian
I know your situation must be hard, because my unemployment ends the same time as yours, but some vets have flexible payment plans even if you don't go until 1st thing monday morning so you don't have to pay emergency prices...I guess I look at it as if you don't know for sure what's wrong and you can't diaganose yourself don't give your kitty anything that could possibly do more danage or create another problem.
Do you by chance have one of those lighted things doctors use to look down throats and in ears?
Good luck!!!!!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sometimes cats can cough so hard they they throw up. It seems if it is asthma you would here wheezing. If it is a lot of coughing with gagging it could be an obstuction. Apparently there is not much stress involved because of the healthy appetite and the healthy poopage. It could be seasonal allergies. Cats srat around on the floor all the time. The floor has all kinds of critters that are microscopic and they get inhaled by the scatting around cat. Try cutting down on the chemicals in your house. Chemicals like air fresheners, cleaners fabric sprays and anything oily. I want to buy a steam cleaner sooooo BAD. That way I can steam surfaces, walls, tile, ounters and more without using chemicals. Good luck.:Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I know your situation must be hard, because my unemployment ends the same time as yours, but some vets have flexible payment plans even if you don't go until 1st thing monday morning so you don't have to pay emergency prices...I guess I look at it as if you don't know for sure what's wrong and you can't diaganose yourself don't give your kitty anything that could possibly do more danage or create another problem.
Do you by chance have one of those lighted things doctors use to look down throats and in ears?
Good luck!!!!!

Defintley doing the vet thing tomorrow if things don't change.

Sometimes cats can cough so hard they they throw up. It seems if it is asthma you would here wheezing. If it is a lot of coughing with gagging it could be an obstuction. Apparently there is not much stress involved because of the healthy appetite and the healthy poopage. It could be seasonal allergies. Cats srat around on the floor all the time. The floor has all kinds of critters that are microscopic and they get inhaled by the scatting around cat. Try cutting down on the chemicals in your house. Chemicals like air fresheners, cleaners fabric sprays and anything oily. I want to buy a steam cleaner sooooo BAD. That way I can steam surfaces, walls, tile, ounters and more without using chemicals. Good luck.:Smile:

I did find 3 piles of puke this morning, all normal, poked through it, nothing alarming. I don't use alot of harsh chemicals because my boyfriend is allergic to those as well. I use homemade cleaners, vinegar and dish soap - things like that. Now the carpet, yea that could be infested with tons of dust I'm sure. I'm not blessed with a steam cleaner YET. lol

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I hope everything turns out ok for her.

Thank you

ckutkuhn7

Banned
UPDATE:

Well if things don't change they are both going to the vet tomorrow and hopefully they will work with me on payments or something.

This morning, no one woke me for their 6am breakfast!!!:Sweat:
Got up at 9am and fed them. SoBe would not eat out of her dish which is very strange, she always scarfs hers down then goes and finishes up Snuffies. She did however, go check out Snuffies plate and ate a little off of her plate. I left SoBe's food out and Snuffie just finished it. She is still coughing/gagging.
I found 3 piles of puke. None of it led to any clues to whats going on. One pile was tiny and the other two were about 2 tbsp's each and they all consisted of dry food.
When SoBe heard me and came out this morning she had one arm through her neck hole of her sweater, lol its typical of her to be in dissarary in the mornings but odd she didn't want her plate of food.

There's poo in the litter box, looks like SoBe's - still not sure whats going on. I really hope today shows progress.

I was thinking,,,I did introduce them to their new fountain. I got them the DRINKWELL 360 Drinkwell 360 Degree Free Falling Pet Fountain as an early Christmas present. Could this be making them sick you think? If thats the case I would have thought SoBe would have gotten sick first since she is so tiny. I got it through an awards program thru my bank, you get points when you use your card etc and you can redeem them. I had a ton of points, still have over 2000 to use.

I don't know - odd day here. Hope ya'lls day is better!

Thanks everyone for your input - hopefully today will get much better.

Inferno12

Banned
UPDATE:

Well if things don't change they are both going to the vet tomorrow and hopefully they will work with me on payments or something.

This morning, no one woke me for their 6am breakfast!!!:Sweat:
Got up at 9am and fed them. SoBe would not eat out of her dish which is very strange, she always scarfs hers down then goes and finishes up Snuffies. She did however, go check out Snuffies plate and ate a little off of her plate. I left SoBe's food out and Snuffie just finished it. She is still coughing/gagging.
I found 3 piles of puke. None of it led to any clues to whats going on. One pile was tiny and the other two were about 2 tbsp's each and they all consisted of dry food.
When SoBe heard me and came out this morning she had one arm through her neck hole of her sweater, lol its typical of her to be in dissarary in the mornings but odd she didn't want her plate of food.

There's poo in the litter box, looks like SoBe's - still not sure whats going on. I really hope today shows progress.

I was thinking,,,I did introduce them to their new fountain. I got them the DRINKWELL 360 Drinkwell 360 Degree Free Falling Pet Fountain as an early Christmas present. Could this be making them sick you think? If thats the case I would have thought SoBe would have gotten sick first since she is so tiny. I got it through an awards program thru my bank, you get points when you use your card etc and you can redeem them. I had a ton of points, still have over 2000 to use.

I don't know - odd day here. Hope ya'lls day is better!

Thanks everyone for your input - hopefully today will get much better.

I would take that fountain out ASAP just to be sure. It could be something that is in that filter.

It seems if it is asthma you would here wheezing. If it is a lot of coughing with gagging it could be an obstruction.
There was never any wheezing with Johnnys asthma which is why I always questioned the Vet. I would look on YouTube and compare the coughing on there. There are several videos that look just like Johnnys.

I hope you figure this out soon. I could be anything and I think you need an X-ray to make sure there is nothing stuck in there. Good luck and I hope they work with you.

Back