Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Canadian Raw Food Testing Project

Sheldon13

Staff member
The only one I was familiar with was Big Country and that link want working just yet. Interesting, nonetheless.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Natalie Murphy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow very interesting. Thank you for sharing. As here in China the Canadian and Australian imported cat foods are more popular. I thought it was maybe an international import/export deal as to why so many brands were from Canada. Now I understand why because their cat foods are regulated.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow very interesting. Thank you for sharing. As here in China the Canadian and Australian imported cat foods are more popular. I thought it was maybe an international import/export deal as to why so many brands were from Canada. Now I understand why because their cat foods are regulated.
Canadian pet food is NOT regulated. I'm not sure about Australian.

We live in a global marketplace so companies sell where they can maximize profit. Ocean freight is cheap; a company in your city will just ship their goods around the world if there's somebody there who is willing to pay more than you are. The exception is sometimes the product doesn't meet the specs for what the highest paying country requires so it's sold in the next highest paying country. Consumers don't really dictate what gets sold unless they can afford to outbid other consumers.

Natalie Murphy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Th
Canadian pet food is NOT regulated. I'm not sure about Australian.

We live in a global marketplace so companies sell where they can maximize profit. Ocean freight is cheap; a company in your city will just ship their goods around the world if there's somebody there who is willing to pay more than you are. The exception is sometimes the product doesn't meet the specs for what the highest paying country requires so it's sold in the next highest paying country. Consumers don't really dictate what gets sold unless they can afford to outbid other consumers.
Thank you for clarifying that as that was my first thought when I started looking into purchasing high quality food here. I had to use the internet to do research and that too was very bias. I did not trust what all pet suppliers where selling. As it appeared to my logic they where an easy import product to bring in.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for clarifying that as that was my first thought when I started looking into purchasing high quality food here. I had to use the internet to do research and that too was very bias. I did not trust what all pet suppliers where selling. As it appeared to my logic they where an easy import product to bring in.
That would keep me up at night but I don't even know what you can do about it when you live in China. I think if it were me I'd buy the most expensive thing available and hope that means it's the highest quality. Of course it's not always true, but most of the time there is a direct correlation.

Natalie Murphy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
LOL that is exactly what I have done. But I did not want to sound like a pompous ASS. Stating I buy the most expensive cat food I can find. But I do swear by it as he has never had any health or tummy issues.
But he is stuck on no variety as I buy the biggest bags available for 1 cat. Just Incase I can not find it again. I also look at import licenses to make sure it is not a Chinese brand copy. Me and my little translator on my phone must be a Chinese persons nightmare when I head into their shop. But bless them they are so patient and friendly with me.
I have started him on fresh chicken which seems to be going well as a bit of variety for him.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sounds like you are doing the best for him - keep up the good work! Since you started him on something new, you shouldn't introduce anything else new for 2 months. That 2 months is the line to cross; if the food was going to cause an issue it would be then and if it hasn't then you should be golden. After 2 months you can introduce yet another new thing if you so wish. I'm sure he appreciates the variety and I also think it's good if you're afraid you won't be able to find something later that he not get hooked on just one thing.

Natalie Murphy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sounds like you are doing the best for him - keep up the good work! Since you started him on something new, you shouldn't introduce anything else new for 2 months. That 2 months is the line to cross; if the food was going to cause an issue it would be then and if it hasn't then you should be golden. After 2 months you can introduce yet another new thing if you so wish. I'm sure he appreciates the variety and I also think it's good if you're afraid you won't be able to find something later that he not get hooked on just one thing.
Great advice thank you.