Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Car sick in the worst possible way!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Today we took Rankle to visit my Nana. She's 96, got all her marbles and is a fan of Siamese cats (my love of that breed stems from her) so we thought she'd like to meet a sphynx. So, my husband and I dutifully fed Rankle and put him in one of his smart new jumpers for the trip. We'd nearly reached our destination when he threw up his breakfast all over the carrier. No probs, I thought, I'll shake it out in the gutter. This done, we went in and had a lovely visit. On the way home we'd planned to visit my great grandmother's grave but had to abort when Rankle started expelling from his rear end. To start with it was solid, and again I thought no probs, pull over when safe to do so, shake out blanket and proceed with journey; then the diarrhoea started. Cat freaked out in the carrier, got himself covered in it, husband and I are retching from the smell and there's nowhere safe to stop. Finally found somewhere we could pull over and luckily I always travel with baby wipes and plastic bags in the boot. So there we are on the side of the road trying to clean Rankle off as best we can getting covered in crap ourselves. I got the giggles which didn't help matters and we then had to drive the remaining 1/2 hour home collectively smelling like a cess pit with Rankle voicing his extreme displeasure all the way.

Needless to say, we won't be traveling unnecessarily with him again!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ooooh yikes! Sorry for Rankle, you and your husband. Not a fun outing at all.

Was Rankle at the back in the car in the carrier?

I ask cause I have a similar experience with 2 of my 3 sphynxs in the car (pucking, pooping the diarrhea, only I had two in one carrier so...yep...cleaning two;-)). Later I realized they were in the back and it never happens when they're in the front.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhhh
Not sure if you are still on the road?
You can cover 3 sides of the carrier with a towel of blanket article of clothing unscathed by poo to try to make a comfy cozy cave may help to relax for thr rest of the ride home ?

Oh my .. If it's any comfort.. Several of us have been there and it is no fun for all parties or paws
May want to withhold feeding tonite till tummy settles (fresh water avail )

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Toa and Ross - no, he was in the carrier on my husband's lap in the front. Will definitely refrain from feeding him before any trips in future.

@Yoda mom - luckily this happened a few hours ago and Rankle's had his second bath of the week now. I'll be taking spare blankets/towels wherever we go in future. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh my goodness..I had to laugh (I know to you it wasn't funny), but it reminded me of my Dash's first trip home from the Vet. He was in the front seat with me and he pooped in his carrier and I had to drive all the way home with my head hanging out the window it smelled so bad. I hope you don't have to take Rankle any where soon, so maybe he'll forget his bad time in the car.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had this happen before! Lots of stinky experiences. For some reason, I learned that it only happens when a carrier is involved. If I let them roam the vehicle, they're fine! Go figure...
Good to know. My old Siamese was the same - not good in a carrier but fine out of it. Once Rankle is used to a harness and lead we'll try him in the car without a carrier.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's ok I work up to Toothless throwing up all over my thigh and butt at 1:30am!!!
The poor thing had eaten a small piece of little ring that you get after you crack the seal on a bottle (the milk jug) that my step daughter so kindly left on the counter for her ... at least she got it all up!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's ok I work up to Toothless throwing up all over my thigh and butt at 1:30am!!!
The poor thing had eaten a small piece of little ring that you get after you crack the seal on a bottle (the milk jug) that my step daughter so kindly left on the counter for her ... at least she got it all up!
Poor Toothless. I hope she feels better soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MelissaAlice awwhhh Toothless
Fell better vibes! Glad it all came up and didn't cause an obstruction - phew
Is she doing okay ?

@Beckinboots is Rankle's tummy all settled from the big adventure ?

Want did your Nana think of Rankle ?
My mom is a Siamese car person to the core .
During Xmas dinner we were talking sphnyx about her Sphynx grand kids .
She told me ewww she thinks they are "disgusting" :( lol but she still googles Sphynx pics

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom - no his tummy is really bad. He has the runs and has been stinking out the house all day :sick: I've had to change bedclothes again. We think it's because he stole human food 2 nights ago (underestimated his ninja-like abilities to track down and get into covered pots). I'm going to go to the supermarket tomorrow morning and see if I can track down some pumpkin puree.

Nana loved him. She thought he was wonderful and he was such a good boy in her house. We usually take Dajjal (our Siamese) to visit her but he's got a bit aloof as he's got older and doesn't sit on her lap anymore. Rankle kept jumping up for her to fuss him so he was a big hit. I'm glad your Siamese doting mum secretly loves sphynxs. I have friends who won't even let me show them photos of my boy :(

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Beckinboots Poor Rankle, I'm sure pumpkin will help with his tummy. And never underestimate a sphynxies ninja skills!! NOTHING IS SAFE o_O

@Yoda mom She is doing ok today; I ran home on my lunch to check on her and she was running around being a butt .. so back to normal

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LOL. I'm sorry, I'm laughing. That's the thing... you NEVER know how a cat is going to react to a car ride until you embark on a journey. Poor Rankle. Poor hubby.

Here's hoping Rankle never needs to travel far.

Back