Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat 5e, 100% packet loss

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My wonderful buddy of 7 years has passed.
I named him as a bad pun - cat.5e is the spec. name for ethernet cable.

Last Monday evening, I noticed 5e wasn't in his usual evening spot (on a pillow beside me, while i either played video games, or programmed) -- I wouldn't have thought much of it except the other cats were staring behind me and I was hearing a periodic rasping noise...

Turns out my buddy was hiding under the cat tree, totally gray(instead of his normal pink) and gasping for breath.

I rushed him to emergency clinic, and the vet lets me know he's in congestive heart failure. likely HCM.
it took two days to get him stable and able to breathe without oxygen.

I finally got him home Wednesday evening, and although he's better -- I can tell he's not going to be with me much longer -- he would eat and drink and cuddle, but wearily -- I found myself hoping it was just fatigue from his ordeal and he'd recover but i was quite doubtful.
5e was sooo food focused for his entire life, and even more so as i had him on a weight control diet. I had got his weight from a grossly obese 16# to only a little overweight 12.5# over the past 2 years.

We cuddled and he got fed his favorite treats Wednesday and Thursday. I adjusted the heat in the house to be a bit warmer for him (he likes it over 85F). It was obvious he was very tired, and the diuretics were barely keeping him going.

Friday morning, he eats like one bite and goes to lay down. By the time I made my coffee he was starting to breathe hard. Judging by how fast he was fading, he wouldn't last long enough to make it to the vet. I immediately curled up with him, fired an email off to work--letting them know that even if everything caught fire that I was unavailable, and turned off my phone.

I made the decision that his last moments wouldn't be stuck in a carrier, being jostled by traffic. I held him for the next 15 minutes. the entire time he was purring between gasps. Once he passed, I wrapped him in the tshirt(my favorite) that he had stolen to curl up on both times his heart started acting up.

I'm normally a pretty stoic, get things done fellow. It took me nearly 2 hours to hold it together long enough to dig a grave for my buddy, and another 3 for me to be strong enough to bury him.

Great companions are hard to find, and even harder to let go of. 5e, you were the best. Miss you, buddy :hugs:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Fester, i am so so sorry to read of the passing of your friend 5e..
Your eternal love leaps off the page with each word... Teary eyed here.
5e was surrounded by your love and comforting arms when he got his wings...
He only knew your love.
He took that eternal love with him ..
So saddened to learn HCM took another lair baby 5e :(

my heartfelt condolences
Rest in Peace ^5e^
You live in hearts forever and ever

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry. I am crying right along with you. Keep the best memories closet to your heart as hard as it is to do,right now. Your sweet boy is pain free and will always be with you.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Fester oh gee, you've got me crying. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. 5e was your special buddy. I'm so glad you were able to be with him, holding him in his last moments. So sad. Big hugs from me to you. Take your time grieving. Again, I'm so, so sorry. :(

RIP 5e, fly free and out of pain and discomfort.

:cry:

bluejay1919

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aw, this is heartbreaking and I'm quietly crying as I read this.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You gave him love and warmth and he gave you his very best as well. In the end, I can't imagine how much love & peace he felt as you turned off & shut out the world, to be with him in his final moments. Cherish all your memories you have of him and never let that go. That's what keeps them alive in our hearts .

I'm sure you will see & hug your little buddy again.

Sending light and hugs to you-

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry for the loss of your buddy 5e. It's painfull to loose the best buddy you can imagine. I'm glad you were with him and cuddled him in his last moments. He died knowing you love him and with his purring he let you know he loves you a lot.
Wish you the strenght you need.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry. I'm just reading this now waiting for my tram home and I'm crying in public. Just the thought of my sweet pink girl fading to grey and struggling is too much.
I know a little time has past, but I'm certain the pain of losing your boy is as strong as ever. I hope you can find peace in some happy memories. If you're up to it, maybe post a thread showing your boys photos. We'd all love to see him.

Back