Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat Allergies or Something More?

Shontae

Lairian
Do my kitten I just got, Pavlov, seems to always be squinting and closing his eyes, and they're always goofy with brown stuff. He also always sounds like he has allergies sniffling and sometimes coughing. He'said also very lethargic, but will get hyper when hes playing. Should I take him in? Is it normal for him to be so sleepy all the time? He had a wellness check last week and they thought he's fine, I'm just terrified he's sick.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds like he has a URI. most kittens get them, sadly.

Definitely take him to the vet for appropriate treatment.

You may also want to start Pavlov on Lysine supplements.

L-Lysine Poll

Toa and Ross

Staff member
The brown (brown red)stuff in his eyes is normal eye goop. But the coughing and sniffling sounds like there's something going on. Kittens do sleep a lot and when they play they get crazy. After playing they will sleep deep again. So that could be normal too. But to be sure it's best to go to the vet for a check up. Hope Pavlov will be fine!

Natasja

Shontae

Lairian
@Xandria Thank you! I was worried about that. Luckily he gets L-Lysine twice a day but I guess it didn't help.

It sounds like he has a URI. most kittens get them, sadly.

Definitely take him to the vet for appropriate treatment.

You may also want to start Pavlov on Lysine supplements.

L-Lysine Poll

Shontae

Lairian
@Toa and Ross that is good to know he's just being a baby! I'll have to take him in :sorry:

The brown (brown red)stuff in his eyes is normal eye goop. But the coughing and sniffling sounds like there's something going on. Kittens do sleep a lot and when they play they get crazy. After playing they will sleep deep again. So that could be normal too. But to be sure it's best to go to the vet for a check up. Hope Pavlov will be fine!

Natasja

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shontae -- every cat is a little different. Max had a very tiny, mild URI on adoption whereas Min had quite the infection (not really bad, but not great). It's always best for a vet visit where they can take x rays if necessary and then give a treatment plan.

Don't be so sure about the lysine. It's an immune booster, but doesn't necessarily prevent illness... just lessens the effects.

Keep us updated! And sending positive vibes.

Shontae

Lairian
@Xandria that's true. I was hoping this wouldn't happen though!

@Shontae -- every cat is a little different. Max had a very tiny, mild URI on adoption whereas Min had quite the infection (not really bad, but not great). It's always best for a vet visit where they can take x rays if necessary and then give a treatment plan.

Don't be so sure about the lysine. It's an immune booster, but doesn't necessarily prevent illness... just lessens the effects.

Keep us updated! And sending positive vibes.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shontae -- I know. Hugs. But it's totally recoverable.

Just wait until they go through growth spurts -- one moment they're sleeping all day and the next they're climbing the walls LOL