Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

cat attacking face issues.

Rens

Lairian
hello everyone!
it's been a while since I've posted here. generally things have been going well with our baby.
she's little over a year old now.
20220802_1512162.jpg

but recently she's been attacking us?....
like we know when you pet a cat and they softly bite to let you know it's been enough. but this feel different :s

Sometimes when she's doing something naughty and we have to scold her (we say a stern NO, and blow air in her face)
she'll sometimes like, instead of going away, will stand ground and stare at us and like tail whipping, and then slowly move closer to attack our hands or face! : (

and today when my GF was just on the floor puzzling, she came up to her being all cute and rubbing against her, even purring when being petted! and suddenly she launched at her face!
this time it wasn't even after being scolded or anything!

it's scary and devastating. we're not sure how to properly scold her when she's rly doing something bad....
and now she also did it without any provoking from us. we're not sure what this is and what it means, and what to do ab it :'(

if you have any tips. plz help us♥

tennisplayer

Lairian
I would not suggest not using words to correct, but sounds. I use an air can to correct unwanted behaviors. If I don't have the air can then I make a hissing sound. I use a clicker to train and found it to be effect to reward good actions.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Is your baby spayed? I agree with either canner air (not in their face) but I always had luck hissing at them as that is what their mothers do to them to correct behavior. Also have toys close by so you can redirect their behavior to the toys.

Rens

Lairian
@tennisplayer @Catzzzmeow

She is spayed, and we also clicker train her, but just for like little tricks she does before we feed her.
I don't realy know how to use it correctly to reward good behavior?

We have tried the canned air in the past, but thought it was bad so stopped using that. but we can give that another go.
She doesn't startle easy, like a loud clap in the hands when she's doing something bad doesn't make her jump at all and she just goes on.
the NO doesn't often work either. it's only by the time you step towards her that she runs off :')

as for toys, she has many, and we try to like cycle them around so they stay "new" but she rarely plays on her own. so I don't know if they'll distract her?

Rens

Lairian
Oh! @Catzzzmeow
another question ab the redirecting with toys.
we've like heared ab it, like when she's going crazy and zooming around and being naughty ab redirecting with toys.
but we were unsure on how to do this correctly, cuz if we play w her after she does something bad, isn't that like rewarding the bad behavior?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Having toys near by helps direct the energy to the toy not the human. We see that in some cases people have played with there cats/kittens wiggling their fingers and moving hands fast etc and that has transferred to cats thinking the human is the target which can be a safety issue because of biting/scratching. Giving a toy is not a reward as you are not asking for the behavior to repeat if that makes sense. @Rens

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do want to add…when I blow air (from my mouth I mean) in my little guy’s face it is an invitation for play. I do it to him often. She may just be seeing it as an invite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rens , precious photo. you are not alone. My Toby turned 1 and was a teenage Brat! he would attack, jump off furniture to attack. it was awful. I would give a stern ah, and tell him Toby have love. I would redirect to a kicker kong toy, treat and praise. now he is a love bug. lol nickname now is TobyLove. he definitely had a brat stage at a year old. now I tell him Toby Love, he closes his eyes for head kisses. like a total different kitty. keep us updated.

tennisplayer

Lairian
If the play time is over I end the session by going it a room with no stimulation (bathroom) and then my kitty will jump into my lap and I groom her which calms the kitty. I never play with the kitty in the calm room because cats remember locations with activities / modalities. So play is done is some areas of the house, but not others, like my office.

Rens

Lairian
I do want to add…when I blow air (from my mouth I mean) in my little guy’s face it is an invitation for play. I do it to him often. She may just be seeing it as an invite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
oooh good to know, thanks!
is this common cat behavior or something you taught him?

Rens

Lairian
@Rens , precious photo. you are not alone. My Toby turned 1 and was a teenage Brat! he would attack, jump off furniture to attack. it was awful. I would give a stern ah, and tell him Toby have love. I would redirect to a kicker kong toy, treat and praise. now he is a love bug. lol nickname now is TobyLove. he definitely had a brat stage at a year old. now I tell him Toby Love, he closes his eyes for head kisses. like a total different kitty. keep us updated.
oh gosh, he sounds like a sweetie♥
thanks for the info! I wonder how much or girls will still change or not hehe

Rens

Lairian
If the play time is over I end the session by going it a room with no stimulation (bathroom) and then my kitty will jump into my lap and I groom her which calms the kitty. I never play with the kitty in the calm room because cats remember locations with activities / modalities. So play is done is some areas of the house, but not others, like my office.
I'll have to try that more.

we normally always play in the same spot, but we kinda notice she likes it when we change location every now and then.
but we'll have to make sure to keep some places calm :)

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Could your cat be hurting somewhere? When my kitty has anal gland issues she attacks me. That Is usually a clue to me that she is uncomfortable.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would buy interactive toys.

Especially treat based ones.

The kong treat ball, cat it tower and puzzle boxes with food can assist.

I'd also buy a cat water fountain.

I would say she is attention seeking and needs stimulation.

Back