Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat cough after vaccine

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian
My cat has been coughing like one a day since he got vaccinated last week is this Okay? He’s 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian
What vaccine?

How long have you had him?

It’s only a single cough daily?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

The “feline rhinotracheitis- calici- panleukopenia” vaccine and yes it only happens once per day randomly. Today it happened while he was napping.

Sheldon13

Staff member
If it’s just a single little cough I would just keep an eye out for a while. If it’s a coughing *fit* I’d say call the vet.

In humans it is normal to have some light symptoms of the virus you are vaccinated against for a few days to a couple weeks after the shot. I can imagine it’s similar in cats.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have been told to only EVER use dead/inactive vaccines. Reactions are common to vaccines and sometimes they take a couple of months from my experience to resolve.

Let us know how you go at the vets!

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian
We have been told to only EVER use dead/inactive vaccines. Reactions are common to vaccines and sometimes they take a couple of months from my experience to resolve.

Well the breeder provided the vaccine so I’m hoping he knew that but I will be sure to tell the vet that. Thanks!

ZekeTheSphynx

Lairian

Took him to the vet Monday and he’s doing well the cough stopped shorty after I posted this so we scheduled for him to be neutered in a couple months. otherwise healthy

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Took him to the vet Monday and he’s doing well the cough stopped shorty after I posted this so we scheduled for him to be neutered in a couple months. otherwise healthy

Awesome. Just wanted to send. Friendly reminder that when he gets neutered be sure to remind your vet not to use Ketamine as the anesthesia. it can be fatal in cats that have an undetected/underlying heart issue and we are seeing more and more heart issues in this breed unfortunately.

Back