Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat from Questionable breeder?

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The Sphynx I'm thinking about adopting apparently was gotten from a questionable breeder. In fact, most likely this lady shouldn't have been breeding at all. My friend who purchased this cat got him super cheap, with no papers, he got diagnosed with Giardia shortly after he came home and the breeder didn't even know what Giardia was! :Angry:

Now I'm wondering if I want to take the chance of this cat being a nightmare of endless Vet bills and possible heartbreak because of it. He already has a chronic eye condition where his vision is 'shadowed sight' in one eye and it's constantly teary.

Earlier today I was thinking that having this cat would be the best birthday present, EVER. but now I"m not sure :Cry:

Of course, all my obsessing may not make a difference in the end because my husband may staunchly object to getting this all, and talk me out of getting the cat anyway. :ThumbsDown:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would be very careful.
You may end up with a huge vet bill and a sick cat all the time.
It is not good when a breeder does not know what Giardia is.
Also having no papers is a red flag.
IMO I would look some where else.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is always a chance of endless vet bills from a cat like this. I got my Nudie from a good breeder and she came with Giardia and tritrichomonas- thus costing me alot of $ to get her better so you never know. It is hard to predict what it may or may not cost you- the real question is are you willing to take a chance and spend the $ if needed? It is a great thing to adopt a sphynx in need. Good luck and keep us posted:BigSmile:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the input. I'll certainly keep you all posted and probably continue to ask questions!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Giardia, in and of itself, is not a reason for a breeder to be slapped with the 'bad' breeder label. The rest, however, is worrisome.

This is a decision that really has to rest solely with you. If you want a rescue- ANY rescue can have the exact same problems or more! If you just want a cheap cat- well, let me tell you- there is no such thing as a cheap Sphynx, one way or another.

Of course, you can purchase from a breeder and spend a lot of money and still get a sick kitty- the difference would be the breeder would assist you and be there for you 24-7 IF you find a good breeder.

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Giardia, in and of itself, is not a reason for a breeder to be slapped with the 'bad' breeder label. The rest, however, is worrisome.

This is a decision that really has to rest solely with you. If you want a rescue- ANY rescue can have the exact same problems or more! If you just want a cheap cat- well, let me tell you- there is no such thing as a cheap Sphynx, one way or another.

Of course, you can purchase from a breeder and spend a lot of money and still get a sick kitty- the difference would be the breeder would assist you and be there for you 24-7 IF you find a good breeder.

I agree with this :ThumbsUp: My little guy had some small health issues when I first got him and the breeder was there for us 100%.

holly_savage

Banned
I agree that a kitten having Giardia does mean it is a bad breeder, but on the other hand, not knowing what Giardia is, that is another story.
Either they are really un-informed (Giardia isn't some obscure problem, but maybe they are new at things and honestly have never heard of it) or they are just playing dumb, and that is worrysome to me.

Deciding to give a home to any animal comes with risks, wether it comes from a reputable breeder, byb or rescue. You have to weigh all the pros and cons and then deside what is right for you. Trust your instincts...if something doesn't feel right, it is usually for a reason.

Bella07

Banned
Deciding to give a home to any animal comes with risks, wether it comes from a reputable breeder, byb or rescue. You have to weigh all the pros and cons and then deside what is right for you. Trust your instincts...if something doesn't feel right, it is usually for a reason.

I complete agree!

Personally, if I were in your case, I would start looking for another Sphynx. I have already made the mistake of bringing home animals that came from an "unreliable" breeder, and well, hundreds to thousands of dollars have already been spent on my part. I wish that I knew then, all that I know now. None the less, best of luck in deciding! It's true, follow your heart, and trust your gut.

lawgrl

Lairian
I agree with everyone else about the Giardia....but I would be extremely cautious about this breeder (I mean, really, doesn't even know what it is...that just doesn't make sense) in regards to other potentially more serious health problems.

If she really is that unknowledgeable, I think it's reasonably safe to say she probably doesn't scan for HCM and that could lead to some serious heartbreak and vet bills.

But this kitty is with your friend now, right? If you really are interested in adopting this kitty and giving it a great new home (which I think is a great thing to do) but are worried about unknown health issues, maybe your friend would let you take him to a vet before you brought him home? Of course, having him checked out would involve some expense on your part and isn't a total guarantee against future problems...but it would provide you with a better idea of the little guy's overall health (just pick a vet who has some experience with sphynx, if possible) and whether there are any immediate major issues you would need to deal with.

The future is always a little bit unknown (as far as major health problems) and even kitties from great breeders get sick sometimes, so there are no 100% guarantees. But, a trip to the vet pre-adoption (if possible) might give you the answers you need to make an informed decision and one you can be comfortable with going forward.

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, we are no strangers to the land of the unknown health issues and their costs. Our tortie girl was a total rescue. My husband found her in a bush, freshly born and abandoned by her mother. We bottle raised her and dealt with massive GI problems in her first week of life which amounted to a couple of emergency vet visits, and meds too. Not to mention the variety of formulas we tried to ease her poor little tummy =( She's now 7 years old and full of sass. We think she probably has a form of epilepsy and she's had her tail docked because she kept mutilating it. But she's coming around to be quite a cuddler and I know she had my husband wrapped around her paw the moment he set eyes on her. She is worth it all.

Yes, my friend is willing to let him be vetted at my regular Vet before we agree to keeping him. I don't mind paying the vet check bill at all because she is sounding like she's going to refuse any funds I offer her for this cat. She is so heartbroken about the possibility of giving him up that finding a home for him with someone she trusts negates all monetary gain. Or so that is how it feels to me.

I am not sure if we have someone familiar with Sphynx at my Vet. But it is one of the largest facilities in my area, with a specialty practice and emergency clinic under its roof as well.

I am interested to see what I hear first hand from the Vet about this kitty's eye. To me it sounds a lot like cataracts or possibly Glaucoma. I will probably be doing research on these conditions, in addition to learning a bit more about HCM.

My daughter and I are going over to meet the kitty tomorrow. I decided to make an album with his pictures that my friend shared with me. I'd love it if you all stopped by to see him =) Hopefully I can add more pictures Sunday night as well.

Thank you all for your wisdom and encouragement!

lawgrl

Lairian
Sounds like you have a great plan to me. I feel so bad for your friend, it must be a really hard/terrible position to be in...hopefully it will all work out and you can give him a forever home!

I'm a little curious about his eye too...Twiggy has runny/irritated eyes sometimes from feline herpes but lysine seems to clear it right up, but that's the extent of my eye experience (knock on wood, lol!).

I just looked at the pics...he's so handsome!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can take him home (what a cutie)!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cataracts or glaucoma are possibilities, I suppose, but I think a far more likely cause is chlamydia (a form of bacterial infection) or rhinotracheitis (viral, commonly known as feline herpes). Whereas cataracts and glaucoma are obviously not contagious, both herpes and chlamydia can be carried and shed by kitties who don't show active clinical symptoms, which is a consideration since you have another kitty.

But another likely possibility is that the cornea was scarred due to being scratched when the kitty was very young. This generally happens before they're weaned or very soon thereafter. If this is the cause then the only ongoing concern will probably be cosmetic, unless the eye causes so much distress that further treatment or maybe removal is necessary.

I think having him vetted first is a great idea. It's sad that somewhat undesirable breeders continue to produce and I'd be the first to say they shouldn't be supported. But this kitty is coming from your friend which is a different scenario. Poor kitty, he can't help who bred him. Hopefully pre-vetting him will give you the information you need to protect your first beloved pet and help protect your pocketbook as well.

Giardia can be insidious and difficult to diagnose. But even a brand new breeder not knowing about giardia is disturbing. Responsible breeders research and have at least book knowledge of diseases/conditions commonly found or to be expected in catteries before their first litter is born. But ultimately, one of the things that separates good breeders from bad isn't whether or not they have problems but how they handle those problems and take care of their buyers. (Credit for the last sentence goes to our susi).

Last edited:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
SO, I did what a tiny voice in my head told me NOT to do: I met this cat in person! =) He is a total sweetheart! He did have fun playing with the lazer pointer but most of the time he was lounging and loving. Of course my daughter and I both loved him. I have pics of our visit added to my album.

I was able to get a couple decent shots of his funky eye. I'm thinking his cornea may be scratched, or that the lens is slightly luxated. I wonder if his current mama would be willing to have his opthalmologist exam before I adopt him? It sounded like something they were going to do eventually any way. I am still working on my husband though!

Oh, and as far as the 'breeder' goes- She was just a backyard, casual breeder. Apparently her (adult) daughter came home one day to learn that her mom had surrendered all 7 of their cats to a shelter. I don't know if they were all Sphynx or not, but my jaw totally dropped!

Last edited:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
SO, I did what a tiny voice in my head told me NOT to do: I met this cat in person! =) He is a total sweetheart! He did have fun playing with the lazer pointer but most of the time he was lounging and loving. Of course my daughter and I both loved him. I have pics of our visit added to my album.

I was able to get a couple decent shots of his funky eye. I'm thinking his cornea may be scratched, or that the lens is slightly luxated. I wonder if his current mama would be willing to have his opthalmologist exam before I adopt him? It sounded like something they were going to do eventually any way. I am still working on my husband though!

Oh, and as far as the 'breeder' goes- She was just a backyard, casual breeder. Apparently her (adult) daughter came home one day to learn that her mom had surrendered all 7 of their cats to a shelter. I don't know if they were all Sphynx or not, but my jaw totally dropped!

OMG that's awful, I hope those kitties ended up in good homes. And keep us posted on further developments on the little boy. The pictures were great, I'd be tempted to take him too!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, I hope Loki's first feline family found good homes too. So sad what people will put these beautiful creatures through =(

My husband did ask me to send him pics of Loki, =) but told me not to hold my breath. He's still thinking things over, and apparently has some stipulations.... *wondering to myself*

djackson123

Lairian

Hi all! This is my first post here and you all seem wonderfully supportive. I'm the friend with the little sphynx baby that may become part of Cara's family. It is heartbreaking to me that he might not be part of my family soon. Cara is just as AWESOME in person as she is online <swoon>

I registered on here to see the pics of Loki from our playdate yesterday but got to reading and an hour later I found some of Cara's post lol. (note, I'm at work and just like the breed this forums has sucked me in, lovingly I might add)

I just wanted to comment on his breeder. I'm just completely fed up with this woman. She has had the breed for many years but is new to my area, originally from Canada. Either way, in my opinion, there is no excuse on her part for not understanding/knowing the common parasites/diseases in our area. If you truly care about the breed and animals you are breeding this is just bare bones basics for me, KWIM? And yes, she took all her cats to the shelter. I was so sad when I heard! She and her husband are going through a divorce and she moved out of the condo building where we live. Her daughter dates a good friend of my husband's. The daughter had to go back to Canada for a few months and just returned when the beginning of the divorce was setting in and helped her Mom move. She came home one night shortly after and all the cats were gone, even her cat. All sphynx. All taken to the shelter. :Cry: Awful. Evidently, this was something she dealt with a lot growing up and for her mom it was just not a big deal. HUGE shock to me. She was in it for the money is what I gathered, other than having the breed for years prior. I just want to smack this woman. Not only did I educate her on a pretty common parasite in my area she just turned her back on all those cats after claiming they were all her 'babies' and loved dearly. She had no papers, none of her cats were registered anywhere, I saw all the signs and ignored them and I should have known better.

so yeah, this is a novel of a post but I just couldn't believe what we got ourselves into and now I'm in love with this little guy and hate that we're having to rehome him. And you're right Cara, I won't let you give me any funds but I will talk with the husband and see if we can schedule an appt with the opthamologist before Christmas to get an official diagnosis on his eye.

It's so nice to 'meet' all of you and I should prob get my rear over to the announcement room huh? LOL

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nice to meet you djackson. If I were to ever get a kitty that was being rehomed, I hope it would come from someone like you.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Nice to meet you djackson. If I were to ever get a kitty that was being rehomed, I hope it would come from someone like you.

Well said, Marlene. Welcome to Sphynx Lair djackson. I'm sorry you have to rehome Loki. He has a sweet expression. I hope he is found to be in good health and will go to his new home soon.

Back