Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat Keeps Scratching Wounds In Her Neck

NovaLokiCairo

Lairian
Hello all,

My Nova Jane has developed a habit of scratching the back of her neck to the point of creating a large, nasty wound. I have tried everything to cover it. I’ve put on sweaters, tried tape and gauze, etc. She keeps finding a way to reopen the wound, once it scabs over, to the point of bleeding again.
Any recommendations on cleaning and preventing her from reopening would be great. I’ve been cleaning her ears and her skin shows no signs of dryness or rash.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 3F199585-8C29-40E9-A15C-7097BA3A0045.jpeg
    3F199585-8C29-40E9-A15C-7097BA3A0045.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 85

NovaLokiCairo

Lairian
It wasn’t a previous injury. One day she decided to scratch there and didn’t stop, this is the result of that. so far I’ve been cleaning it with soap and water but she finds a way to hide and continue messing with it.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would get a wound spray asap and spray it on several times a day.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Kathie

Lairian
Did you ever find out what was causing her to scratch? I’m having this same issues this week. I thought it was his ears that needed cleaning, but it’s only gotten worse, so I’m calling vet in the morning. Thanks

Sheldon13

Staff member
Did you ever find out what was causing her to scratch? I’m having this same issues this week. I thought it was his ears that needed cleaning, but it’s only gotten worse, so I’m calling vet in the morning. Thanks

Have you tried the TrizULTRA? I stopped having issues completely after a couple uses.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Kathie

Lairian
No I haven’t. I’m located in Canada, so not sure if I can find it here? I have a newer ear cleaner from the vet and it does a good job, but I’m wondering if he has an ear infection?

moonshine

Lairian
Hi @Kathie - any update on your baby as well? Any advice from your vet, or were you able to try the TriULTRA? Curious to hear if that helped.

Chiming in because we've had issues with our elf girl recently and ultimately we believe it's still related to an ear infection, so maybe that was the case for either of you? She'll randomly paw at her ears, and a day or so later a dark reddish / purple spot will appear.

Last edited:

Kathie

Lairian
Hi @Kathie - any update on your baby as well? Any advice from your vet, or were you able to try the TriULTRA? Curious to hear if that helped.

Chiming in because we've had issues with our elf girl recently and ultimately we believe it's still related to an ear infection, so maybe that was the case for either of you? She'll randomly paw at her ears, and a day or so later a dark reddish / purple spot will appear.
Hi there!
I had him to the vet but since i couldn’t get in for two weeks (!!!) I ended up giving him two good ear cleans (not his favourite!) and using Dr Maggie’s on the wounds, which worked like a miracle! The vet checked thoroughly and no infection, so I think they were just extra dirty (thank goodness)! No issues since... I didn’t end up getting the TriULTRA.
Thanks for reaching out!

moonshine

Lairian
That's great to hear! Glad your baby is doing well :)

One option that has been recommended to us is taking our girl to see a dermatologist - and here in NYC the wait is 5-6 weeks!

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When they have wax build up in the ears this can cause them to do this. Clean ears nightly. Get vet to prescribe a treatment for the neck.

Back