Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

cat litter box question!- advice-please

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone! Please forgive a newbie type question, but how often does everyone change their litter boxes? I was told to have 1 box per cat. I have 4 cats, & 3 large litter boxes. Three cats are Ragdolls, which are very large, & then there is my Sphynx, the beautiful Nefertiti! I scoop every day, & replenish the litter to keep about 3 inches in each box. I completely change it & wash the boxes about every 3 weeks. Is this okay? A lady I work with has only 1 cat, & she said she changes the litter box EVERY DAY. That sounds weird to me. Our litter boxes are upstairs, so they are not right under our noses. I just don't want my house to stink! Sometimes when you live with an odor you don't notice it, but others do!:Woo:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: cat litter box question!-advice please

I take mine out and give it a good cleaning about once a month for one kitty. I remove the waste every day. Leaving the droppings buried for a couple hours after a bowel movement really seem to dampen the odor tremendously. I'm sure it would be fine without a good scrubbing but for my own sanity I clean it. It doesn't really smell bad and it doesn't get real dirty. But if it did smell and if it were dirty I would definitely clean it more often.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I think to change it every day is excessive! I think also it depends on which cat litter you use. I have 2 cats, I use Cats Best Oko Plus clumping litter, and empty the clumps of waste everyday. I change the whole lot and clean the tray about once a week, sometimes I leave it 2 weeks if I think it doesn't need to be changed.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

When I first got Mo, I used clay litter, I found it needed changing much more often and smelt bad a lot faster because it wasn't a good clumping litter and so you couldn't remove all the urine without changing all the litter. Now that I use Cats Best I don't have that problem!

Inferno12

Banned

I use clumping litter and I have two cats and two boxes. I scoop them every day. They cats have decided that one box is for number one and the other box is for number two. Not sure why they do this but the number one box is really the one that needs to be scooped every day!

I clean the whole thing out about once every two weeks

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I scoop Lemmy's box multiple times a day and clean it all out once a week. Lemmy seems to love a clean, empty litter box....so I am forced to do it all more often!! LOL

J

Jinxlover

They cats have decided that one box is for number one and the other box is for number two. Not sure why they do this

Isn't that funny..Blueberry will pee in the box that the kittens use but she will not poo in it, she always gos down to her box for that.. ODD CATS!!!!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

. I just don't want my house to stink! Sometimes when you live with an odor you don't notice it, but others do!:Woo:
:LOL: This is my paranoia, I am always afraid my house smells like cat pee, I scoop 2xs a day, and as soon as anyone new comes in my house I ask them if they smell pee:LOL: I get some weird looks:Surprise:

dragynflye

Lairian

i scoop every time i pass by and notice it needs scooping, with full on dumpings and scrubbings as needed.

as far as the woman who dumps daily, do you know what kind of litter she uses? i know several people who use non-clumping clay litter, or pellet litter (like feline pine or yesterday's news), who scoop solids as they notice them, and dump the entire box every 1-3 days. they use very little litter, just enough to cover the bottom of the box and absorb any wetness. maybe this is why she dumps daily?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

:LOL: This is my paranoia, I am always afraid my house smells like cat pee, I scoop 2xs a day, and as soon as anyone new comes in my house I ask them if they smell pee:LOL: I get some weird looks:Surprise:

:LOL: I'm exactly the same!! I always ask people if they can smell pee!

We have two boxes for one cat, one in the hall way which is his main box - we use Worlds Best, a clumping litter and is scooped daily and fully changed every 2 weeks, we also use liners which makes it easier to clean out. The back up box is in the bedroom and doesn't get used very often, but as i work 14 hours on a Tuesday and Thursday I like to have a clean box he can use if the other one is too dirty for his liking!

X

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

I think completely dumping the box every day is a bit crazy? I can't imagine what that person spends on litter. I scoop every day, and then change and clean every 1 to 2 weeks and it seems ok. We have 2 boxes. When we have babies sometimes I have to do more but then we have 3 boxes. If it smells I know it I don't think that is a smell you can get used to:Laugh: and besides with 1 teenager and 1 tween, if they smell anything they complain.

wundrlust

Lairian

I have a box for each cat. One box has world best litter and the other has purr and natural. They are both cleaned out numerous times per day and boxes washed every one to two weeks.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

When I went to one cat breeder's house, it did smell of cat urine - she has intact males. I am sure she did not notice, but I did.

Back