Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat pooping on tail

Kinkandwillow

Lairian
does anyone else have the problem of your cat pooping on its tail or stepping in its own poop, I'm not sure how to stop this but he runs around the house with poop on his tail if I don't notice it right away and I'm worried it's going to get onto the furniture

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can try adding pure pumpkin to his diet.
It helps firm up loose stool, it really works great!
You can purchase it at the grocery store, but make sure it just the pure pumpkin. Not the pie filling.
You can also buy canned pumpkin at some pet stores, like PetPlanet, etc. But it is more expensive and the same thing as buying it at the grocery store. :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can try adding pure pumpkin to his diet.
It helps firm up loose stool, it really works great!
You can purchase it at the grocery store, but make sure it just the pure pumpkin. Not the pie filling.
You can also buy canned pumpkin at some pet stores, like PetPlanet, etc. But it is more expensive and the same thing as buying it at the grocery store. :)

@Nicolemorgan I was surprised to see you say that some pet stores (in Canada) sell pumpkin in the can.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
does anyone else have the problem of your cat pooping on its tail or stepping in its own poop, I'm not sure how to stop this but he runs around the house with poop on his tail if I don't notice it right away and I'm worried it's going to get onto the furniture

@Kinkandwillow besides the canned 100% Pure Pumpkin in the can (about a tablespoonful or a bit less) should absolutely firm up your kitty's poop.
But what are you feeding him? A lot of members feed the raw diet, I do not and couldn't help you there, but after feeding Royal Canin for a long time, I finally made the switch to grain-free diet (both kibble and canned) and it made a world of difference.

I dealt with them stepping in poop every single day. I dealt with tails getting dipped in loose poop all the time as well! I began standing guard at the litter boxes when someone went in to poop so I could quickly scoop them out before they backed up in the loose poop. Then all I had to do is scoop the litter box and not have to clean me, my bed, my floor, etc., etc. ... let alone their feet and tails!

It seems to be very common in the first six months with the sphynx breed. Some nakeds are fine after that age while others continue to have poo issues for years. Sometimes it's a food allergy or sensitivity. A great deal of the time in those cases it turns out to be chicken or even fish being the culprits.

But I do want to know what you are feeding him please.
What is his name? :)

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

@Nicolemorgan I was surprised to see you say that some pet stores (in Canada) sell pumpkin in the can.
Yes, the company is Fruitables. They sell various kinds, so just pure pumpkin but also ones with some additives for digestion etc.

I'll attach a photo of what they look like:
I've seen it quite a few pet stores actually.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 65

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Great advice thus far, always be sure there are no underlying medical issues like Giardia before using pumpkin, it would sometimes just hide an illness. :)

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Buster had this problem as a kitten! One time, he had poop all over his stomach. Now it only happens occasionally on his tail or leg

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ohh no the dreaded Poop tail or foot ! We had that problem when my little one came home first, for a month I had to deal with it, now he hates wet wipes, because I used to wait right outside the litterbox and wiping him down ! haha
I think it was his baby steps , he had to learn it how to do the cover up and how to poop properly. At that time his poop was loose as well and I think that was the troubles too. We firmed up his poo and he learned how to cover or walk around in the litter box .
Knock on wood, 4 years no poop tail or foot .

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ohh no the dreaded Poop tail or foot ! We had that problem when my little one came home first, for a month I had to deal with it, now he hates wet wipes, because I used to wait right outside the litterbox and wiping him down ! haha
I think it was his baby steps , he had to learn it how to do the cover up and how to poop properly. At that time his poop was loose as well and I think that was the troubles too. We firmed up his poo and he learned how to cover or walk around in the litter box .
Knock on wood, 4 years no poop tail or foot .

@assibassi lol, because I had to stand at the litter box when my first two got in to poop (so I could quickly snatch them up before they backed up into the loose poo)...I believe it "taught" them not to cover their poop now that it's firmed up!

Lee

Lairian
I need any help I can get. My baby is 6 months old. Since we had him I have to stand guard also when he goes to the loo to snatch up his poop before he can tread in it. Even if I hear him go in the middle of the night I got to get up and watch. His poo tends to be a little soft. I have had him to the vet and it seems he is very sensitive to certain foods. I am still trying to hit on the best one for him. Some days he is fine other days not so. Its stressful to go out and wonder if when you come your house will be covered in poo :(

Kinkandwillow

Lairian

@Kinkandwillow besides the canned 100% Pure Pumpkin in the can (about a tablespoonful or a bit less) should absolutely firm up your kitty's poop.
But what are you feeding him? A lot of members feed the raw diet, I do not and couldn't help you there, but after feeding Royal Canin for a long time, I finally made the switch to grain-free diet (both kibble and canned) and it made a world of difference.

I dealt with them stepping in poop every single day. I dealt with tails getting dipped in loose poop all the time as well! I began standing guard at the litter boxes when someone went in to poop so I could quickly scoop them out before they backed up in the loose poop. Then all I had to do is scoop the litter box and not have to clean me, my bed, my floor, etc., etc. ... let alone their feet and tails!

It seems to be very common in the first six months with the sphynx breed. Some nakeds are fine after that age while others continue to have poo issues for years. Sometimes it's a food allergy or sensitivity. A great deal of the time in those cases it turns out to be chicken or even fish being the culprits.

But I do want to know what you are feeding him please.
What is his name? :)
His name is kink! Right now I am feeding them the oragnix brand of cat food, it's not totally helping but it's getting a bit better now that found them a healthier food. I need to try the pumpkin asap!

MiyagiandHanzo

Lairian
Oh. Mine have this problem when he has diharrea. Last night he jumped on my husband and he had his legs and tail covered in liquid poop. And since yesterday I had to run after him every time he was doing his thing in the litter. And he spill some poop out of the box too... i will never know how he managed that... i am trying to figure it out what to do lately cos' he is vomiting often lately.
For the poop matter I am waiting to recieve the toilet trainer. I really don't want to have my furniture covered in poop . And it seems that my boy is really messy pooper. But he knows it ...and he is not complaining while i am cleaning his back legs...contrary..he spread his fingers wide open and waits to be cleaned...i find this kinda cute But the smelly poop part little less. His tail...hmmm yes he gets his tail messed quite a lot.

MaoSphynx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Soemtimes Mao does this too.But it happened only once oro twice.All four of his feet were covered in poop and he didn't like it when we washed it off.He kept meowing and squirming

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
For me switching my kits to raw food fixed this. It makes their poop very firm (and bonus non smelly) so it doesn't get anywhere. Whenever I need to feed them wet food because I haven't been able to make the raw they tend to get soft poop again and sometimes get it on their tail/paws, even my super elegent careful adult boy. I think it's just very hard for them to stay clean with the soft poop and maybe they try too hard to bury it too because it smells

Back