Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat reacting to an ear cleaner

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
I'm so dumb and crying right now, I was cleaning my cat's ears with epiotic (as always) today but didn't squeeze the cotton ball out enough and my cat got a lot of liquids in his ears. It wasn't soooo much but i think enough to do something bad... later i noticed my cat refused a snack i usually give after cleaning his ears and saw some watery foam under his mouth, i don't know where it came from, whether from his nose or mouth. He then ran away from me trying to spit something out. I don't know is sphynx's ears are any different and if that ear cleaner went into his nose and mouth through his ears. He didn't even want to eat anything, idk how to force him to drink water...
He seems a bit active now but still very confused. We have a vet appointment tomorrow, but i don't know how to sleep tonight, what if he chokes on it or get poisoned...

Is there anything i must do immediately while my vet isn't available? (it's late in my country and vet is already closed)

Update: he tried to eat and now drinking water

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy to hearing they are eating and drinking now. It probably got all backed up and just needed time to shake more out and clear out their head a bit….whew. Let’s know how vet appt goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
So happy to hearing they are eating and drinking now. It probably got all backed up and just needed time to shake more out and clear out their head a bit….whew. Let’s know how vet appt goes.

I gave him some charcoal with yolk (it's only home remedy I know since I can't call vet)
He seems famished and playful for now, I don't know what else i could give him or i shouldn't feed him at all.
I'm still shocked how the ear cleaner went out through his nose

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yana and Osiris , (((Hugs)))) glad he is acting better and playing. eating?
many years ago when I used to flush ears a little too much and there was snot nose etc and within several hours he went back to normal eating and playing. its scary I know. I also wiped his face and watched breathing. he recovered quickly in an hour or so.

it is a good sign he is being playful and wants to eat.

now I no longer flush ears. . all paws crossed. most likely he will be all better before the vet visit appointment. I would call them before your appointment with an update and see if an appointment still needed.

keep us updated with more good news updates. hugs n head smooches

Last edited:

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
@Yana and Osiris , (((Hugs)))) glad he is acting better and playing. eating?
many years ago when I used to flush ears a little too much and there was snot nose etc and within several hours he went back to normal eating and playing. its scary I know.

now I no longer flush ears. . all paws crossed. most likely he will be all better before the vet visit appointment. I would call them before your appointment with an update and see if an appointment still needed.

keep us updated with more good news updates. hugs n head smooches
Oh yes, it looked exactly like snot nose, and I didn't know about flushing their ears. We are visiting vet for the yearly vaccination, it just happened that i decided to clean his ears before the visit as he is dirty like a little pig -_-

I will ask my vet what can be done when this happens and update the thread for the future accidents if somebody runs into the same situation like me : (

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yana and Osiris , I wiped face with a plain water wash cloth in case of any tearing.
all paws crossed for his vaccines tomorrow. keep us updated and thank you for asking what can be done and then updating/adding to thread to help others in the same situation.

I am in the US, I called Vibrac manufacturer in Tx but it was only voicemail.

Last edited:

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
!Update after having seen our vet!

She said it wouldn't be possible for the ear cleaning liquid to get out through his nose, the snots and saliva were his reactions to smell (it was a new bottle, wonder if epiotic's formula has been changed recently that caused such reaction?), and cats won't die if more ear cleaning solution gets into their ears.

We are also vaccinated and de-wormed for another year now :D
He seems alright and playful, a bit sour for not letting him destroy the vet's plant

Attachments

• 20240611_150029.jpg
    20240611_150029.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240611_150551.jpg
    20240611_150551.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 6

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
Thanks everyone!
I don't know how to change my title (maybe moderators can help me here?), I'd love to rename it into something more suitable here like "cat reacting to an ear cleaner" or "cat had too much ear cleaner/drops in their ears" so other owners could find this post :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone!
I don't know how to change my title (maybe moderators can help me here?), I'd love to rename it into something more suitable here like "cat reacting to an ear cleaner" or "cat had too much ear cleaner/drops in their ears" so other owners could find this post :)

I changed for you.

Back