Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat sick

Hey wise cat mums and dads!

I have a concern, church had been being sick :( I thought for ages it was him just not chewing properly and it coming back up! It’s happening at least every other day now so he’s got an appointment at the vets!

Any ideas? I’m so worried it’ll be something sinister and I really couldn’t cope with that!!!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Is there anything you can think common to when he does it like only in the morning, only after drinking, only after eating dry etc? Share anything you can come up with, with your vet. Glad you made a vet appointment be sure to update us please. @SarahShambles

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SarahShambles , awhhh positve vibes for Chirch . Glad you made a vet appoint.
You ca mask to rule out IBD tummy issued , is it only certain foods , or protein like chicken , fish etc
Some have allergies to proteins amd some are Senstive to additives, dyes I'm food etc

I kmow mike will barf when I gave certain treats . So no more treats here - I use a kibble as a treat instead .
I could set my watch to it that if I gave a certain treat ... Yup,, barf

So Hoepfully nothing serious goimg om with Chirch and it's a matter of a sensitivity to s treat or certain food .
Some, vets will w amt to do a minimum of an abdominal x Ray. My vet alway diagnoses and treats with least intrusive things first . She has me take a picture of the X-ray with my cell phone so I have it for after hourse clinic if needed .

I do have one kitty thst is IBD amd takes no medicstion now thst I found a food thst works for her tummy.

When is Church's appointment ?
Ask if they want u to bring a stool sample?

susi794

Staff member
Hope you find out what’s wrong and fix it. Please keep us informed

So I took him to the vets and the lady wasn’t helpful she told us he was overweight as he stomach hangs down and it could be the food he has an allergy to I think she’s just fobbing is off #1 I don’t think he’s overweight and it’s not his food he only has sphynx royal canine and dental biscuits!

His teeth are a little inflamed so maybe it’s to do with that? And not chewing properly or it’s something more sinister I’m so worried he’s being sick every day now!

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SarahShambles Does Church have a "hanging tummy" just in front of his rear legs? If so that's normal with sphynx and not a sign of overweight. I'll tey to post a photo of the hanging belly later.

Does Church still throw up? Is it every other day? Does he throw up the kibbles shortly after eating? Or does he throw up bile? If it would be his food, I would think he would throw up every day. But I'm not vet.
My boy Ross throws up regulary (1 or 2 times a week) cause he doesn't chew!
When his teeth are inflammed he can have a dental issues. Maybe it hurts him to chew and that's why he glob his kibble down and throws up afterwards?

Maybe go to another vet for a second opnion?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s every day sometimes twice or three times it’s whole chunks of the kibble! Along with chewed up bits I just don’t know what to do!

Yes he’s definately got a tummy like you described! I really don’t think he’s overweight sometimes where he’s being sick he feels lighter than the kitten! Other times he’s a chunk!

I may get a second option but I just don’t know where to go!:(

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It’s every day sometimes twice or three times it’s whole chunks of the kibble! Along with chewed up bits I just don’t know what to do!

Yes he’s definately got a tummy like you described! I really don’t think he’s overweight sometimes where he’s being sick he feels lighter than the kitten! Other times he’s a chunk!

I may get a second option but I just don’t know where to go!:(
He might just be eating too quickly and need something like a slow feeder... A bowl that makes him work for each piece of kibble. We had the same problem for a while. Do a Google search for "cat slow feeder". Good Luck!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you think he's eating too fast, change to canned food. Dry food expands inside the body because of all the body fluids. Wet food doesn't. If he's still throwing up wet food it's not because he's eating too fast.

Did you do a blood test to see if anything turned up?

Sooo...we might have finally cracked the case...I’m hoping you guys can advise! We caught church eating a plant it’s called an Easter cactus! It’s now been removed and it’s day two with no sick at all!!

I’m checked if it’s harmful to cats and this is what it says

Christmas Cactus. Fortunately, the Christmas Cactus(or its relative, the Easter Cactus) plant is not toxic to dogs in either its parts or flowers. The same lack of toxicity applies for cats. However, fibrous plant material can cause irritation to the stomach and intestine, leading to vomiting or diarrhea.

I’m really hoping this is the cause

@SarahShambles kudos to you for researching !
It is very possible especially since you have seen improvement since removing the Easter cactus

a great reminder to all of us about plants

Dangerous Plants for your Sphynx Cat

Positve vibes this was the case and resolved
Keep us updated
Thank you! He’s still vomit free Eating much better, I’ll just be happy when he gains more weight. It’s a massive relief, especially as we go on holiday to japan in three weeks. I’d have been worried sick!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ohh no back to being sick again :( I’m also pretty sure he’s constipated..
You need to look into Irratable Bowel Syndrome. Sometimes the cats who have it are more pukers than poopers. You may need to look into a low residue veterinary diet to try. Just a suggestion but with this being a chronic issue it may give you a lead.