Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat suddenly terrified and angry

Wyfwulf

Lairian
I have had my sphynx, Sansa, for two years and she's currently just a little older than that. She dealt with a respiratory infection as a kitten and had a bout of bloody stools back then as well but otherwise has been happy and healthy. She is very affectionate and loving, sleeping with me every night, but today I noticed something was strange when she rushed next to me and had an alert look in her eyes. She settled her head down but not for long, and wouldn't stop checking the room and looking around. Her eyes were wide open and her ears were up. My first thought was that perhaps she had a nightmare and couldn't distinguish it from reality when she woke, so I tried to calm her down, but soon she ran away and sprinted under the bed.

A few minutes later, she came back and started whining and complaining as she has done in the past when she had been in pain (bee sting) or when her stomach was sick. She let me hold her but started lightly biting me before retreating to her bed. She still won't stop being hyper-alert and it seems like she thinks she is in danger.

I've been going through all the possibilities such as poisoning and I'm afraid that this is the result of a new salicylic acid topical acne solution that I've been using on my face. Sansa doesn't usually lick my face, but when I'm asleep I probably wouldn't notice it if she had, and since salicylic acid is toxic to cats I am afraid she may have ingested some. The medication only has 2% salicylic acid and I'm not sure how much she would have ingested anyway if she had licked me, but I am still very concerned at this behavior. She has never done anything like this before and it reminds me of an anxiety attack in people.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms or know what might be up with her? Thanks.

Johanna

Lairian
My cat goes through phases of the high alert and big eyes, looking around as if there is something in the air or on the ceiling and sometimes runs of through the house. She has never stayed like that, she tends to behave that way at night. The breeder I bought my cat from stated she was very anxious, although she's still cuddly and sleeps with me she doesn't like to be picked up and will look for any opportunity to get down or jump.
Have you looked into the natural cat anxiety remedies?

I can't figure out why she does it but I think shes getting energy out.. or perhaps they hear something in the walls or in between housing like critters that we can't hear good luck with your baby!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Wyfwulf

Lairian
My cat goes through phases of the high alert and big eyes, looking around as if there is something in the air or on the ceiling and sometimes runs of through the house. She has never stayed like that, she tends to behave that way at night. The breeder I bought my cat from stated she was very anxious, although she's still cuddly and sleeps with me she doesn't like to be picked up and will look for any opportunity to get down or jump.
Have you looked into the natural cat anxiety remedies?

I can't figure out why she does it but I think shes getting energy out.. or perhaps they hear something in the walls or in between housing like critters that we can't hear good luck with your baby!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply! Sansa has phases of energy and alertness too but so I hope it is just one of those. What concerned me though is that she doesn't seem excited like usually but more like she thinks something is after her and she needs to hide, first in my arms then under the bed then in her bed. Less playful and more fearful.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think those creams work by being absorbed into the skin: I don't think it sits in your face to work.

Hopefully nothing's wrong with your baby :) ❤️

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do agree that it sounds like she's in a cute pain. She could have been stung or bitten by an insect. She could have twisted something even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I looked up what signs a cat shows when they did eat/lick something toxid: diarrhea, vomiting, lethargic. The signs you describe sounds more like a cat in pain. Where you petting her when she did bite? And where were you petting her? Hope she calms down soon, otherwise I would go to a vet to let her check.

Wyfwulf

Lairian
Thank you everyone for your replies. I do think now that her stomach must have been hurting because after a couple of hours she calmed down and is back to her normal happy self. I still don't know why she was acting so afraid. In the past when she's had an upset stomach all she did was separate herself from me.
I will be sure to watch her the rest of the day, and if she starts acting strange again I will make an appointment with the vet.
Thanks again to everyone for your help!

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Scary. Hopefully, you can find out what's going on. Definitely don't ignore it though. Cats mask their pain and when they show that they are in pain usually it's because they can't hide it anymore. Hopefully it was something simple but, keep a close eye!

Wyfwulf

Lairian
Scary. Hopefully, you can find out what's going on. Definitely don't ignore it though. Cats mask their pain and when they show that they are in pain usually it's because they can't hide it anymore. Hopefully it was something simple but, keep a close eye!
I have been watching her throughout the day today and she has been acting very normal and affectionate as usual. No more whining or anger so far! I will keep watching her of course and I will be sure to ask the vet about it during her next checkup.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been watching her throughout the day today and she has been acting very normal and affectionate as usual. No more whining or anger so far! I will keep watching her of course and I will be sure to ask the vet about it during her next checkup.

Good to hear. Who knows what happened.

Back