Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat training?

smarzean82

Lairian
I don't mean teach Mogwai to sit, roll over, or beg. But to teach him to stay off of items? Mostly my reptiles, as
1: they and their enclosures were expensive and 2: he could burn himself or them should he knock a light over.
I've tried adding a shelf so he can sit above them and look down, but he just wiggled in-between the shelves and sat on the lid as usual.
I was looking into deterrents like the can of air that blows when motion sensors are active. Anyone try those? I'm not seeing many good reviews, and very very very few options for help with this issue.
And before I get asked. YES, I've done the "No" and remove him from the area. Clapping to distract him and then move him. Extra play. Distract with play. Food. Fresh laundry (he loves to hide in the basket and attack me as I grab pieces), anything I can think of. Everything but spray him with water( not an option ).
I'm at a breaking point. Either I find an option that works or I have to get rid of my reptiles which will thoroughly depress me.

No pic of Mog because he is a bd boy today.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hiya. I think it depends why he's seeking them out. If it's for the warmth you could try a heated bed for him to draw him away. If it's because he likes stalking them I don't really know what to suggest. My reps are in an 8ft high viv stack in their own room with the chinchillas and bats so there's no way my cats can bother them.

Dru

Lairian
I don't mean teach Mogwai to sit, roll over, or beg. But to teach him to stay off of items? Mostly my reptiles, as
1: they and their enclosures were expensive and 2: he could burn himself or them should he knock a light over.
I've tried adding a shelf so he can sit above them and look down, but he just wiggled in-between the shelves and sat on the lid as usual.
I was looking into deterrents like the can of air that blows when motion sensors are active. Anyone try those? I'm not seeing many good reviews, and very very very few options for help with this issue.
And before I get asked. YES, I've done the "No" and remove him from the area. Clapping to distract him and then move him. Extra play. Distract with play. Food. Fresh laundry (he loves to hide in the basket and attack me as I grab pieces), anything I can think of. Everything but spray him with water( not an option ).
I'm at a breaking point. Either I find an option that works or I have to get rid of my reptiles which will thoroughly depress me.

No pic of Mog because he is a bd boy today.

What about covering the fronts so there's nothing to see for awhile. My cat did this with my fish tank even starting reaching inside. I kept the light off at night and covered the glass with printer paper and turned on the light in the daytime, after awhile he forgot all about them. Basically Noone could see them not even me but after awhile it worked. Now he doesn't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Here are some options you might be able to put across the tops of the tanks. If you look on Amazon, there are any similar products with different lengths and dimensions.
340320cf3c0ec4e94b9cb472a3f64c66.png

If you give them a try, let us know if it works. @smarzean82

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Beckinboots he's just legit stalking, chasing, attacking them. Moving them to another room isn't an option, lack of spare room/space.

And OMG bats!!!!!! I friggin loooooooove bats!!!!

Ah, sorry to hear that. What are you keeping out of interest? We have 2 bearded dragons and 4 snakes (2 corn, 1 californian King and a carpet python (all rescues)).

The bats are transient visitors as I do bat rescue in my spare time. They are super cute.

smarzean82

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow I'm heading to Home depot tomorrow. I've got an idea on a solution, but I do like that middle option there. If nothing else I'll grab that and maybe some double sided tape lol.

@Beckinboots I only keep a handful of leopard geckos and crested geckos. My kiddos had a bearded dragon but she got ill and died last month. She was a gem and we miss her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@smarzean82 , keep us updated.
and sending hugs of condolences for the loss of your sweet bearded dragon. so very sorry

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow I'm heading to Home depot tomorrow. I've got an idea on a solution, but I do like that middle option there. If nothing else I'll grab that and maybe some double sided tape lol.

@Beckinboots I only keep a handful of leopard geckos and crested geckos. My kiddos had a bearded dragon but she got ill and died last month. She was a gem and we miss her.

I'm sorry for the loss of your beardie. We hadn't had ours long before they stole our hearts. They're such characters so I can imagine how much you miss yours.