Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat Tree Conundrum/Alleviating Boredom

Shontae

Lairian
So I am looking at all of these cat trees, and I am finding that they are soooo expensive which I wouldn't mind but they also are ugly and not well made! So I am wondering several things:

• What is everyone's favorite cat tree, or cat scratching/climbing set-up?
  • Cat tree vs. cat climbing walls and scratch posts: which is better?
  • Building your own cat tree: has anyone took on this endeavor?
I do worry about my kitty getting bored because he won't be able to go outside and roam the streets. I am planning on potentially making a outside kitty escape-proof "cat run", but I'd like to make the inside of my home fun too. I will most likely make my spare room into his play room, as well as include shelving on the wall for climbing and observing fun in the living room. I'm also going to attempt harness/leash training for extra stimulation. What do you guys think? Suggestions?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:Thanks guys!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shontae , two favorites here
@SumpinSpecial , may have a resource for these

kitty mansions redwood cat tree ( Comes with fake greenery I do not use bcz they can chew it )
Redwood
I really like it for in front of the indirect light window and it is sturdy with kitties running up amd down it like nuts or hanging off the side off it running up the sisal to the top
It has a nice small footprint base of 24" too

its darker grey thin material with dark brown sisal
With three top perches with soft bolsters and a condo
Holding up well with the crew :)
My kitties don't go outside either

Smart cat climber - several members use - it goes over the door amd is a Sphynx highest and a great meet n greet place to tran with treats to prevent bolting thru the open doors when I come home

Suction cup bird feeder for window by cat tree also used by members

A breeder friend uses the largeSt solid wood cat trees with no carpeting
Armarkat pinus Sylvestris
Premium Pinus Sylvestris Wood Cat Tree S4203 this is the Small but can see other pics or google for ideas

Love the kitty room idea !
I am sure members will chime in with their shelving amd catio pics amd suggestions :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
Thanks for the mention, guys! (y)

I have Katris "Furniture for your cats" bundles. They do seem expensive at first glance but they last for years, fit in better with your home decor and are multi-functional. The manufacturer sent me a demo bundle to take to in-person vending events and I'm pretty impressed with them. They're easy to rearrange when you or your cat gets bored with them. They're fairly heavy for a paper product, sturdy and solid. I think they'll appeal more to cats who like the texture of cardboard and possibly may not appeal to cats that prefer carpeting or other fabric textures. But there's no law against covering them with a tablecloth or something!

Any way, I'm always on the lookout for other innovative scratching/exploring products. I've found a few small companies that make cat "porches" and such but they declined a business relationship (one wants to streamline their manufacturing first, the other isn't ready to grow into supplying external retail shops yet). But I continue the search.... :cat:

Here is one that I loved that couldn't work with me (yet) but you can purchase directly from them: Catio Designs

Here's the other one. I was thinking of this more to sell to my rabbit-owning customers because they asked for this exact thing. It's not as pretty (in my opinion) but you could certainly dress them up! CatsOnDeck

Last edited:

Shontae

Lairian

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shontae all the cat scratching posts I have are the tallest ones I could find. None of my sphynx like to use a scratching post here unless they can totally reach up high and stretch out their bodies. Given the choice of carpet or rope and rougher materials, all five of mine hands down prefer the ones without carpet. They seem to have a need for a rougher/tougher feel given the choice.

41zMRbYrJ8L.jpg
This one is 32" high or so.

I have three cat trees in the family room that are all side-by-side for easy jumping up and down and all around. There are flat perches, basket type beds, hammock type beds, ladders, houses, scratching posts, etc.

I never put a bird feeder outside the window where the cat trees are attached by suction cups, instead I used one of those poles that you stick in the ground and at the top, it's got a hook to hang a bird feeder. A very big hit here as they LOVE to watch birds.

By the way, there is plenty of carpeting on all my cat trees.

Shontae

Lairian

kitty mansions redwood cat tree ( Comes with fake greenery I do not use bcz they can chew it )
Redwood
I really like it for in front of the indirect light window and it is sturdy with kitties running up amd down it like nuts or hanging off the side off it running up the sisal to the top

Smart cat climber - several members use - it goes over the door amd is a Sphynx highest and a great meet n greet place to tran with treats to prevent bolting thru the open doors when I come home

Premium Pinus Sylvestris Wood Cat Tree S4203 this is the Small but can see other pics or google for ideas

I am sure members will chime in with their shelving amd catio pics amd suggestions :)

@

Redwood

@Yoda mom Thank you for all of those ideas. I really like one on the redwood mansions site. I am going to price how much cost would go in building my own. These were all great suggestions though, and I can't wait to get one!

Shontae

Lairian
Thanks for the mention, guys! (y)

I have Katris "Furniture for your cats" bundles. They do seem expensive at first glance but they last for years, fit in better with your home decor and are multi-functional. The manufacturer sent me a demo bundle to take to in-person vending events and I'm pretty impressed with them. They're easy to rearrange when you or your cat gets bored with them. They're fairly heavy for a paper product, sturdy and solid. I think they'll appeal more to cats who like the texture of cardboard and possibly may not appeal to cats that prefer carpeting or other fabric textures. But there's no law against covering them with a tablecloth or something!

Any way, I'm always on the lookout for other innovative scratching/exploring products. I've found a few small companies that make cat "porches" and such but they declined a business relationship (one wants to streamline their manufacturing first, the other isn't ready to grow into supplying external retail shops yet). But I continue the search.... :cat:

Here is one that I loved that couldn't work with me (yet) but you can purchase directly from them: Catio Designs

Here's the other one. I was thinking of this more to sell to my rabbit-owning customers because they asked for this exact thing. It's not as pretty (in my opinion) but you could certainly dress them up! CatsOnDeck

@SumpinSpecial I did see those awesome shapes for cats and thought they looked really cool. I really enjoyed seeing the outside cat porches and rooms. I think it will make all the difference in the world if my kitten could go outside. Like I mentioned we have someone here who makes them, but I think they are pretty expensive. I love the idea of DIY but then realize I have so little time, so I don't really know if I'd ever really get to it! Thanks for showing me more options!

Shontae

Lairian
@Shontae all the cat scratching posts I have are the tallest ones I could find. None of my sphynx like to use a scratching post here unless they can totally reach up high and stretch out their bodies. Given the choice of carpet or rope and rougher materials, all five of mine hands down prefer the ones without carpet. They seem to have a need for a rougher/tougher feel given the choice.

41zMRbYrJ8L.jpg
This one is 32" high or so.

I have three cat trees in the family room that are all side-by-side for easy jumping up and down and all around. There are flat perches, basket type beds, hammock type beds, ladders, houses, scratching posts, etc.

I never put a bird feeder outside the window where the cat trees are attached by suction cups, instead I used one of those poles that you stick in the ground and at the top, it's got a hook to hang a bird feeder. A very big hit here as they LOVE to watch birds.

By the way, there is plenty of carpeting on all my cat trees.

@GoldHazel It is just so amazing to me how many options and considerations there are with cats. Some back story on me, I have always been a dog person, and enjoy the affection and dependency that many dogs seem to give. I had never considered a cat, as I thought they were mostly aloof, and independent (however, cats have always loved me for some reason, lol). So about 3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I were talking, again, about how I wanted a dog, and he mentioned, probably thinking I wouldn't go for it, that he wouldn't mind a cat. So, I took this and ran with it, researching many types of cats and their personalities, and stumbled on the Sphynx. I instantly kind of went crazy for the little guys, as I loved the more dependent, and personable traits of this breed. I also was very excited that many Sphynx cats enjoy fetching, and some will walk on a leash. So I have kind of been researching everything I possibly can since I have never owned a cat. But I swear the more I research the more I feel I need to learn.

Overall, I'd like to make a play room for the kitty, as I mentioned, and probably in the spring add a outside enclosure for outside time. I want to get a bird feeder up for watching birds outside the window (with that suction cup window lounger), and I even thought it might be fun to plant grass and cat plants inside for the winter months. As far as cat trees, I still am undecided, but I do know I like the over the door hanging shelves, and I like when people put shelves going up the wall really high for a perch for their kitty. Everyone's help is so awesome, as I feel like I'm finally getting some semblance of a plan going on thanks to your guys' help!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shontae a few things I'd like to tell you when considering cat trees or wall shelves:

I would never put those fake leaves on a cat tree because these guys twist and turn and can go so fast up and down that their tail can get caught up in the vines and rip the skin right off. It's happened and that's why I'm telling you just in case you purchased vine leaves.

The other thing is some cat tress also come with a hanging toy (mostly a mouse or a ball) and it hangs by an elastic string. Same thing, their tails get caught on that and can rip the skin right off.

A very long time ago, while I may have been considered a newbie on here, I remembered reading that about someone's sphynx loosing the skin off their tail because of the aforementioned. I had just gotten a really nice cat tree that had a hanging mouse which my sphynx loved playing with. One day I was sitting on the couch watching t.v. and one of my sphynx cats was going bonkers on the tree, I looked over to watch him having fun when I actually saw how his tail got wrapped around the elastic hanging toy mouse. I jumped up and quickly removed the toy. It totally made sense to me right then and there.

The other thing is that when they are very young, some of them are not good acrobats like others. I had witnessed some of them falling off the cat tree or almost falling off when they were very young. Don't think that all cats always land on all fours. So when placing wall shelves for your kitten for example, keep in mind you can always add more higher up as they grow up and become better acrobats.

Just some words of caution.

You will love having a sphynx cat. They are nothing like any furry cat I've ever had. Everything is their business and you will never be alone again. LOL

Shontae

Lairian
@Shontae a few things I'd like to tell you when considering cat trees or wall shelves:

I would never put those fake leaves on a cat tree because these guys twist and turn and can go so fast up and down that their tail can get caught up in the vines and rip the skin right off. It's happened and that's why I'm telling you just in case you purchased vine leaves.

The other thing is some cat tress also come with a hanging toy (mostly a mouse or a ball) and it hangs by an elastic string. Same thing, their tails get caught on that and can rip the skin right off.

A very long time ago, while I may have been considered a newbie on here, I remembered reading that about someone's sphynx loosing the skin off their tail because of the aforementioned. I had just gotten a really nice cat tree that had a hanging mouse which my sphynx loved playing with. One day I was sitting on the couch watching t.v. and one of my sphynx cats was going bonkers on the tree, I looked over to watch him having fun when I actually saw how his tail got wrapped around the elastic hanging toy mouse. I jumped up and quickly removed the toy. It totally made sense to me right then and there.

The other thing is that when they are very young, some of them are not good acrobats like others. I had witnessed some of them falling off the cat tree or almost falling off when they were very young. Don't think that all cats always land on all fours. So when placing wall shelves for your kitten for example, keep in mind you can always add more higher up as they grow up and become better acrobats.

Just some words of caution.

You will love having a sphynx cat. They are nothing like any furry cat I've ever had. Everything is their business and you will never be alone again. LOL

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff4da6]@GoldHazel[/COLOR][/FONT] Wow. Thank you for that information, I didn't even think about anything like that! I think I'll wait for him to grow up a bit before getting a high cat tree or putting up high shelves. Do you think it would be best to get a shorter cat tree, and wait awhile for anything high up? Most trees have something hanging off of them so I am really glad to know to be aware of that. Thank you!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shontae you are welcome. I always started my babies off with the lower cat trees. You can always do like I landed up doing and that is putting different cat trees together...all next to each other. It actually makes the set-up better for going up and down. Just observe, like I mentioned yesterday, some kittens are better acrobats while others are super clumsy.

After I remove the hanging toys from the new cat trees, I throw away the elastic hanging string and I give them the toy to bat around the floor. So nothing is wasted. :)

Shontae

Lairian
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff4dff]@GoldHazel[/COLOR][/FONT] I was wondering about what to do with the dangerous parts, that's a good solution. I actually am happy about observing my kitty for a awhile before buying those kinds of things. That way I'll be able to see his preferences and his acrobat abilities.

@BrittanyS I know right! I had no idea to think about this, and it makes sense to hold off buying all of these expensive things before observing the kittens abilities and needs. I'm so glad I found this site. Definitely making me feel like a more prepared new mom :X3:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shontae and @BrittanyS buying a smaller cat tree to begin with is a great idea. Just put them side-by-side later down the road when you purchase a taller one. It actually makes it easier/safer for them to get up and down by using the smaller one to get to and from the taller one.

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
I'll just add one more thing about the Katris Bundles that I sell and then I'll shut up. :) Since you arrange them however you want, you can easily give your kitty a low climbing/resting place to begin with, and then rearrange the pieces for a higher climb later on. For example there is this video showing one way to make it into a coffee table that your cat can still explore and climb around in.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I got this one! It's by Go Pet Club. They LOVE it. I found it for about $100 and I think it's worth it. It's proven to be quite sturdy. They are ALWAYS playing on it!
catree.jpg

SumpinSpecial

Lairian
OMG, Trisha, that's HUGE and wonderful! I love it! I have a feeling you got it for some sort of clearance sale, though. Usually for $100 you get just the bottom platform! LOL!

Shontae

Lairian
@Shontae and @BrittanyS buying a smaller cat tree to begin with is a great idea. Just put them side-by-side later down the road when you purchase a taller one. It actually makes it easier/safer for them to get up and down by using the smaller one to get to and from the taller one.

@GoldHazel I think I will do that and get a smaller one for him to experiment on, until I see if he's ready for more difficult cat trees. Thanks for the advice!

Shontae

Lairian
I'll just add one more thing about the Katris Bundles that I sell and then I'll shut up. :) Since you arrange them however you want, you can easily give your kitty a low climbing/resting place to begin with, and then rearrange the pieces for a higher climb later on. For example there is this video showing one way to make it into a coffee table that your cat can still explore and climb around in.

@SumpinSpecial I watched the video, that's crazy, I didn't realize those shapes could be so versatile!

Shontae

Lairian
@SumpinSpecial @Trisha I was wondering about that. That seems so awesome for only $100...but....I went on Amazon and found it! It's only $92! I am totally going to get that once my kitten is bigger. They also have awesome smaller ones as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back