Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat Tree

Avasmommy

Lairian
I found a 3 tier cat tree for sale for 35 dollars. Its a floor to ceiling with a pole. The lady said that it has cat nip infused into the carpet on the cat tree. So my question is... do any of you have concerns of getting something like this second hand. I wont get my kitty till early summer. The cat tree will be out into the garage (temps in the winter can dip down to -50 with windchill.) So hypothetically that should kill any "germs". Thanks in advance.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
germs -- I wouldn't worry too much about, but various parasite's eggs (like fleas)can live for years in harsh conditions. Fortunately, the ones I know about can be taken care of pretty easily via a dusting of flea powder, followed by vacuuming a day or so later

TotenEngel

Banned
vacuming before you use flea treatment is always recommended, the vibrations from the hoover will break open a lot of the eggs :)

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wouldn't worry too much about germs. If your kitty is anything like Butterball, he'll sniff out the germs, roll around in them, track them all over the house, and then leave them on me so i get sick. But be sure and give it a good look.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I have one of those 2 teired from floor to ceiling poles/ cat tree things. It was awesome when we first got it, but its only a year old and its gotten extra wobbely so I'd try to check that out prior to purchase or make sure you know someone who knows how to make it more solid.

As far as germs I'd vacumn it, flea dust it, and re vacumn it a few days later and store it in a plastic trash bag to keep yuckys off of it until you need to use it.

If your house is dusty like mine, once you get it up use a lint roller to clean it and vacumn, I've found this works best.

Best of luck.

Back