Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Catit Deluxe Drinking Fountain

Brooke

Banned
We all know the benefits of humans drinking enough water, but its also essential that our kitties drink plenty of water, too. The automatic drinking fountains continually circulate water and filter it - this makes it taste better, adds oxygen, and removes many impurities from the water. Encouraging our cats to drink more promotes proper kidney function, and can help decrease crystal formation and urinary disease. I also read recently that the filtered water could help those kitties with sensitive stomachs/digestive issues.

I bought this one a few weeks ago to replace a Petmate drinking fountain (It was really noisy, leaked all over the place, and had to be refilled twice a day). The Catit fountain is completely silent - in fact, I've gone over to it a couple times to make sure it was on, because I'd gotten so used to hearing the other one buzzing from across the room.

Walter has been drinking more water since I bought this. He likes to drink the water as its flowing off of the dome. A quick google search will tell you there are many health benefits to having an automatic drinking fountain, and I'd recommend this one, (especially over the leaky, noisy Petmate version...)

Attachments

• pPETS-3761568t400.jpg
    pPETS-3761568t400.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 45

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
hmmm I think I need to get one for Meecho. She has gotten into the habit where she will only drink from her water bowl in the bathroom. I tried to trick her by getting her a fresh bowl and put it next to her bowl and she wouldn't touch it. I think took the bowl to the bathroom and she drank right away.

Brooke

Banned
I'm just too darn cheap. Also, if I bought this thing, I'd miss my daily exercise

Actually, ElGato, I thought of you when I read recently that filtered water could help with stinky poo or other digestive problems. I'll have to see if I can find where I read that...

PitRottMommy

Banned
I think knowing the cause for the malodorous stool would help. The reason "flowing water" can help with digestive issues is because the company assumes everyone is leaving their water out to stagnate and then their pet drinks it. This can cause a multitude of bacterial overgrowths in the stomach and intestines, which can lead to flatulence, malodorous stool, vomiting, etc.

If you're already replacing the water daily, the chances of this, alone, solving a problem such as BB's is low.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Funny I may need one of these my cats really don't drink from the water dish they prefer the sink so we are always having A sink on A slow drip for them, and now the bathtub leeks and thats where they seem to go for A drink! I guess when we get around to fixing it I will have to get this new fountain.:Smile:

Moonstone

Lairian
I had the cat it fountain (the small one without the bowl) a few months ago, but thrown it away...it was very noisy, doesn't work very well (just water rills instead of a fountain). Perhaps our fountain had a problem, but I was not satisfied.

Previously I had petmade fountain, and it was better but not so marvellous...
it was a little bit noisy, I needed to refill every days, and my cats put their feet in the water bowl...and the fountain was always dirty ! more quickly than in a simple bowl.

Actually I give water in simple bowls, and I change the water twice a day, the morning and the evening .

I'm still looking for THE magic fountain that will not be noisy, that will stay clean (no place to put the dirty feets in the water) , and easy to regularly clean.
:LOL:
very difficult !

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I need to consider buying one of these. Butterball will drink water from anything but his water bowl. He won't drink from the toilet either thank god. I give him fresh water twice a day and even put ice in it for him. But he loves to drink my water. I have cups all over the house with water in them now for that little monkey.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi- has anyone had issues with your kitties playing with the cords on fountains? I would like to get one, but I have this horrible vision of kittens, electricity and water. They don't really chew other cords, so I'm not sure why this idea bothers me so much. I'd like to hear about your experiences, though.

Brooke

Banned
Nope, no issues here. In fact, the Catit fountain has a long plastic tube that covers about half of the wire so if they ever splash it doesn't even get wet.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hi- has anyone had issues with your kitties playing with the cords on fountains? I would like to get one, but I have this horrible vision of kittens, electricity and water. They don't really chew other cords, so I'm not sure why this idea bothers me so much. I'd like to hear about your experiences, though.

If you wind up having problems with this, buy BitterApple spray or Yuk! gel and apply while the fountain is off. Then set the cats up for failure. The taste of the BA or Yuk! will make it their last attempt at this venture.

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I actually bought one of these for Ra as it seemed like a great idea but in 6 months he maybe drank from it once... I guess he just prefers a cup on my desk and the sink :Surprise:

playswithfire

Lairian
I just got one of these today, it's not really that noisy, but my kitten is still pretty wary of it and even avoided her regular water bowl when I put it next to it. She doesn't seem scared of it, I think she just doesn't know what to think about it yet. Otherwise seems like a pretty decent fountain overall. Made me a little thirsty just looking at it :LOL:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got one of these for Sophie but she seemed afraid of it at first. I kept putting her near it and its not loud at all but she would scamper away. Today on a few occasions I put a treat in front of it for her to find. She took the bait! She was drinking from it this afternoon. :BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to look at these today, we had A leak in the upstairs bathroom tub so it was always dripping, well now that that is fixed I am filling the water dish all the time...
They do love the drink from the sink but I can not leave that on all day.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have one of those loud obnoxious petmate ones! My husband hates it! But These things arent cheap so I think I will look into replacing it when I am at my wits end with the noise:LOL::Hysterical:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just got one of these today, it's not really that noisy, but my kitten is still pretty wary of it and even avoided her regular water bowl when I put it next to it. She doesn't seem scared of it, I think she just doesn't know what to think about it yet. Otherwise seems like a pretty decent fountain overall. Made me a little thirsty just looking at it :LOL:

Try some juice from a tuna can squirted into the water of the fountain. You will need to clean it well later, but the smell and taste may entice your kitty.

Ive had the pet mate and Cat it fountains for a few years...they all seem to get noisy and leaky after a while so Im not truly satisfied yet.....but the fountains are better than a plain bowl and my cats love drinking from them. My favorite design so far is the dome shaped cat it like in the photo....

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have wondered about these but Mugs refuses to drinl from anything but glasses :Dizzy: They're all over the place! I've had to start taking orange codial to bed instead of water because he insists on drinking from my glass otherwise and ignores his own!

X

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have wondered about these but Mugs refuses to drinl from anything but glasses :Dizzy: They're all over the place! I've had to start taking orange codial to bed instead of water because he insists on drinking from my glass otherwise and ignores his own!

X

:LOL::LOL: Snuggles does that too!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie would use this thing as a swimming pool! lol I already got her the fountain thing that you just refill when it gets empty or low. She loves to knock it and watch it bubble and gurgle to refill. I have to clean it up daily because her corner of the kitchen tends to get pretty soggy. Thats how I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago,,not sure the water bowl change helped much, now its just a bigger mess. lol

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My my Sophie has come a long way since I posted on this thread last. Sophie SLAPS the water coming out of the fountain and makes a giant mess! I've tried waiting and giving it back but no luck- she still thinks its a toy. :Dizzy:

Back