Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cattification & Sphynx Haters

SarahsRedmon

Lairian
So first I have to start with I hate the woman at PetFun. They are a great little pet store that sells excellent raw cat food, grain free treats and always has the neatest nick nacks for your animal. They have strollers that are covered so your gremlin can't escape, super high cat trees basically anything that people like is need for our babies. However the judgemental a*s hat that was working the register this evening was such a jerk I was taken aback. I took Redmon in there with me, he enjoys watching the birds while we shop. And the a*s hat clerk literally jumped and yelped when she saw Redmon. She says we actually only allow cats and dogs inside the store. I asked what she thought this was, she said it looks like a really big naked mole and I'm sorry but you and your rodent are going to have to leave. I was so offended. I explained this is a sphynx cat he is supposed to be hairless. She started laughing annoyingly loud about it. Saying Omg you know you can get cats with hair, right? (no I didn't know that..wtf) asking me you paid money for that thing? I glared her down and went about my shopping peeved to say the least. When I got to the register same a*s hat is still laughing saying he is so freaky looking do you mind if I take his picture?!? I said I absolutely mind, your not going to take his photo to sit around and show your friends and laugh at him. I was so mad.

But that's not what this posted was supposed to be about. That just happened so I needed to vent. I was really wondering if anyone has experience putting up their own cat highways. Etsy has some great, modern options for cat shelves and what not. I have very high vaulted ceilings and am planning on putting a cat highway across the whole apartment. I feel when kitten gets here he is going to have so much more energy than Redmon it would be best to get it up before he gets here. So my question is how far apart do you think the shelves should be? I know cats can jump pretty far and I want it to be something that the kitten can't get to every level right from the start. I want him to work towards getting to each one, but I want them close enough so he can jump comfortably without using his claws to pull himself up. I included some picstures of the shelving off Etsy we are looking at, and a picture of the wall space in my apartment to give you an idea of what we are working with. Any ideas and advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed. The last picture if my house where I want it to go the wall above the tv and the wall to the right is where the fireplace is and to the right of that there's two sliding glass doors and to the right of the the stairs that go to the bedroom loft area. Ideally my cat highway will take them all the way around upstairs and down. So let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20170222_215149.png
    20170222_215149.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170222_215128.png
    20170222_215128.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170222_215112.png
    20170222_215112.png
    286.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170222_215057.png
    20170222_215057.png
    262 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170222_215039.png
    20170222_215039.png
    229 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170222_215022.png
    20170222_215022.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170222_215534.jpg
    20170222_215534.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 36

GMPLAX23

Lairian
Cat highway! how cool.:) I don't have any experience but I found Pinterest had a lot of ideas on how to make your own shelves and things to make a home more fun for your kitty. DIY things are usually cheaper.

As for the clerk at the store, I am so sorry you experienced that. Did you considering calling the store to talk to a manager or email the boss? It doesn't do the pet store much good insulting people and losing business!
When I had Tut out the few times, I had mixed reactions. But with the negative reactions I had to remember that I got a sphynx because they are so unique.
I think some dogs are ugly but i don't be sure to tell the owner that!
Even my boston terrier gets called ugly :confused:

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, I am so appalled that a employee at a pet store would even think its OK to talk to a customer like that AND bash the customers animal. Hairless or not a Sphynx is a cat and there is no need for such repeated insults, I would definitely call the store and ask to speak to the manager and tell them the story.

I cant really chime in about the cat highway however my only suggestion is to make sure your assembling/attaching the highway pieces to the wall studs so that they are secure!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a rude person in that store. Incredible somebody thinks he has the right to speak about any animal in that tone of voices.

The cat highway looks awesome. I'm sure redmond would love it.

MaoSphynx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some just don't understand what Sphynxes are
My brother actually mistook him for a mouse and a kangaroo:smuggrin:

Sheldon13

Staff member
I love the hammock ones. Those are my vote! I have no experience though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back