Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

CFA Show in Manchester, NH

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have entered Gleek in his first show as a kitten. There are not many shows in my neck of the woods, but there is a CFA show in Manchester NH this Saturday the 25th so I'll be driving down that morning. It is all for fun and to see how my furture pet assisited therapy cat will handle the commotion. The wife of one of the show managers has offered me her help (and extra cage curtains). Hopefully she will help keep me from making a fool out of myself. I sure hope there are other Sphynx owners there.

Bella07

Banned
How exciting! You'll have so much fun, and I'm sure that Gleek will do wonderful! Good Luck.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The show clerk told me that there will be two other Sphynx at the show. I'm really looking forward to meeting them. I promise to take pictures.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well, here is my promised report on Saturday's show.

All you seasoned Sphynx Lair exhibitors out there would have been so proud of us. We both did great! The NH Feline Fanciers put together a great event, and were very warm and welcoming to both new exhibitors and spectators. If you are ever in New England, I highly recommend attending one of their shows. I even got to meet another Sphynx owner who was showing an adorable red and white male kitten. It was nice having someone to look out for us.

Gleek was so laid back for his first show. He was quiet in a wise sort of way, but not at all timid. It was as if he had been to 100 shows before. Nothing fazed him. He got a lot of attention and seemed to have been petted by all sort of people from 2 to 92. He was wonderfully patient and gentle with everyone. He never hissed or cried the whole time we were there. It was interesting to watch Gleek in this new environment. He seemed to keep his energy level in check until he got home, then tore around the house and playfully attacked his toys. What a professional Pet Assisted Therapy cat my 5 ½ month old boy will be.

Ok, now for the show summary part. Let me see if I can put it together so it makes sense. There were 6AB rings at this show, and were 55 kittens including Gleek. He got 4 - "2nd Best of Breed", 2 - " Best of Breed", an honorable mention in one AB Kitten Final, and a 10th Best Kitten ribbon in another AB Kitten Final ring.

Here are a few pictures:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations to Gleek, he had a wonderful debut. And he's an odd little fellow, most kittens bounce off the wall or go into hiding mode at their first show. I think he'll do great in therapy work.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Gleek is an odd little fellow. Other than his size, he doesn't come across like a typical 5 1/2 month old kitten. I'm not sure what the judges thought of him in regards to the breed standards but two judges specially commented on his skin quality during finals. He really is going to make a great Pet Assisted Therapy cat. I'm grateful I found a breeder who knew exactly what to look for in a kitten and picked the perfect Sphynx for me.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so proud to hear that Gleek did so well at the cat show. He will make a great therapy cat for sure. I think my Piglet must have been a former show cat, because she is always so uncanningly calm and collected at expos and exhibitor shows (much like Gleek).

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Not only was I proud of Gleek, but honestly, I was very relieved. My interest in Pet Assisted Therapy was a big reason why I could justify getting another Sphynx. Since Gleek had never been in environment with that many other cats and people before, I wasn't sure how he would react to all the activity. He was so extremely calm and laid back at the show, that I was getting concerned that he wasn't feeling well. He naps a lot, but he is also an active male kitten who plays hard at home. It was almost like he knew when he was "on/off duty" and when it was ok to play like a crazied hyped up Sphynx kitten. I'm very curious to see how he behaves at another show. Hopefully he will continue to blossom into a well suited PAT cat.