Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hola!! Who here has experience showing their sphynx? :D

I'm interested in possibly showing my Kenzo Bare in the kitten division once I get him. My breeder favors him and one other male in her current litters.

I'd like to get in touch with some Lairians who have show experience and pick their brain. I read the breed standards, and I think Kenzo is fitting, however not sure how well he would do/ how high he would place against others with more experience. Especially, against those who choose their sphynx specifically with the intentions of showing them. He was purchased as a pet, but just recently I began considering showing him. I have yet to see him in person, so I'm only going off of photos provided by the breeder and her input. I think it might be fun to do once or twice.

PS. The only thing I can see with my highly untrained, inexperienced novice eyes :)p lol) are that his wrinkles on top of his head are wiggly, versus other sphynx seems to have straight/vertical forehead wrinkles. The European standard of sphynx actually seems to favor the extra wrinkly look, but the winners from American divisions don't have that look. It looks like Kenzo is somewhere in between the American standard and European standard, as far as wrinkles go. :wacky: Go figure, his mom is a home-grown beauty, and his dad is a Russian import.:cat::cat::cat:

Please share your thoughts, and tag any Lairians you know who have experience in the show ring!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Schrodinger I think if cats are altered they can only compete in the Household Pet category. Maybe someone more experienced in the Ring can verify?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Monica is that category part of the breed specific areas?

Yes, I believe so. It’s a Championship classification for pedigreed purebred alters. It’s separate from the Household Pet classification, who compete for Master titles.

I know TICA has this class for sure. One of the ranked Champion Alter title holders in TICA is a cat from my breeder’s cattery. Not so sure with CFA, but I’m going to look into it.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Update: Per the advice and encouragement from our breeder, WE ARE SHOWING KING KENZO BARE (aka Kenzo, Kenny, Kenzi, or Kizzi :wacky:) IN OCTOBER! :smug: :cat:

It’s a TICA show ring with a Halloween theme.

We will see how he likes it, and determine his show future from there. It’s mostly for shits & gigs, but it would be great to place! Our breeder seems very confident that he will do fairly well, which is great for us and her, since he holds her cattery name. I’m still kind of unclear on the whole process, so any tips and advice are welcome! He will be competing as an alter. Let’s make my King a Champion like his Daddy!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica You will have fun!

I took my Aussie dog to a show for fun
I was told right up front that shows have alot of politics - to just have fun
Got a lot of stink eye from the regular crowd looking me and my boy over
Like who the heck is this newbie on the block .

So I ran around the ring wearing my dress and ugly shoes
We waited in the line up not expecting anything since the fierce political competition
1,...2,. and 3 pointing to my boy ! Lol
He got his 3rd place ribbon he could care less about lol
I had fun and learned a lot ! Met some really nice and not so nice people

Just have fun! The retail shopping is fun too!
So excited for you and Kenzo Bare :)

Where is the show? If close I would definitely go!
We will all be there in thought !

Toa and Ross

Staff member
King Kenzo Bare is a champion already for joining the show! Have fun. Please make pics and share. We all want to see Kenzo shining like a star

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom That’s is cool your baby placed in his first show! We will take the same approach, just have fun. I will admit, I do have a bit of a competitive streak in me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. He’s a winner in my eyes! I can’t remember if the show is in San Antonio or Austin. I need to check on the specifics.

@Toa and Ross @EnAyKayIDee we will def share our experience! I just hope he enjoys it. If he seems stressed I’ll just pull him out, lol. He’s very personable with dogs and people, so we will see!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Regretable update... KKB will no longer be participating in the TICA show this November.

In short, we were contacted and, essentially... discouraged/dissuaded from pursuing the show ring for various reasons.

We were participating for the experience, and we did not have any expectations in the ring. However, we would have enjoyed the novelty of having a title holding sphynx, if that was in the cards. I believe our casual ‘agenda’ was offensive to pro competitors.

Thanks for those who supported our short-lived show ring dreams! KKB is a grand champion in my eyes! Even if he isn’t the ‘perfect’ sphynx. :cat:

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
Kenzo is absolutely a champion here! So sorry it turned out the way it did, but thanks for sharing even this much of your experience!

All our sphynxes are perfect in our own eyes and that's what matters the most :love:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think that kind of stinks that you were discouraged and turned away from the show ring. I suppose this gives us more incentive to show off our Sphynxes at pet stores and with our friends.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Monica well...I want to rebel with you;-).
But indeed focus on his career as a IG model. And then when he's famous and everybody wants him in their show, these people will call you and you will say "nanananananananaaaaaa":p

Back