Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Change in skin colour following weight loss

hcraft

Lairian
Hello Sphynx Lair family,

My boy Archie has been on a diet (he was a fat lol boy) and lost about 4 lbs. he had a lot of extra skin and I have noticed that his belly is slowly disappearing. However, where the loose skin connects to his abdominal skin it’s started to change colour and go much darker. He’s seen a vet who didn’t have a concern about it, but I wanted to ask if any of you have experienced this. See photo attached.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Attachments

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A lot of Sphynx will go through color changes as they age. It doesn’t look like a rash or wound. Does it bother him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hcraft

Lairian
A lot of Sphynx will go through color changes as they age. It doesn’t look like a rash or wound. Does it bother him?

He seems totally fine! It’s not dry. He doesn’t itch or scratch.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it’s probably just color changes then. Other members will chime in with their ideas too.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Looks like pigmentation to me. Specially when you see it's not itchy or dry.

And well done for the weight loss!

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kudos for the 4lb weight loss!! That’s amazing!! Very hard to get a cat to lose weight. I think it’s also pigmentation especially since it’s not bothersome.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@hcraft kudos for Archie’s weight loss ... what was the successful diet food plan?

It does look similar to the pigmentation my adoptee had when I adopted him .
The previous owner took him to the vet to confirm pig,entsrion amd rule out any other possibilities .
He was a sunbather

The pigmentsrioj went away om it’s own with no meds and no creams ...
Just regular spa days with hylyt shampoo.

Does Butchie sunbath ? When he lays in a sphynx position is this skin Pattern visible on the side as it was with my Batman ? Here is A previous thread with a pic

Attachments

hcraft

Lairian
@hcraft kudos for Archie’s weight loss ... what was the successful diet food plan?

It does look similar to the pigmentation my adoptee had when I adopted him .
The previous owner took him to the vet to confirm pig,entsrion amd rule out any other possibilities .
He was a sunbather

The pigmentsrioj went away om it’s own with no meds and no creams ...
Just regular spa days with hylyt shampoo.

Does Butchie sunbath ? When he lays in a sphynx position is this skin Pattern visible on the side as it was with my Batman ? Here is A previous thread with a pic

A lot of Archie’s excess wait was due to food allergies. I had to put him on Royal Canin Anallergic dry cat food and really follow the directions on the bag. Over about a year and a half the weight just came off.

Archie does like to sunbath through a window, but has done so his entire life. So I find it strange that it would be happening all of a sudden.