Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Changing bathing schedule / food

MidemaEnn

Lairian
Hi Everyone!

Melissa here. This is my first time posting but have read a lot of posts on here before. I love this site!

Nova, my sphynx child has sensitove and dry skin which occasionally makes her break out into rashes. I would like to move from bathing weekly to once every 2 or even 3 weeks.

Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions? I am thinking I might switch to the Hylyt (sp?) As I have found that the baby wash I use makes her break out.

I also want to change her food as I suspect she does not tolerate Orijen's cat and kitten food as well as she did the six fish. Anyone tried anything else which helped with suspected allergies and or dry skin?

Shmeeps

Lairian
I bathe my cat every 2.5 weeks. Ears and nails get done weekly. I just switched from Johnsons Baby wash to the Aveeno baby wash and so far so good. I havent tried the Hylyt yet because I just cant get past the fact that its a shampoo for fur and not a wash. It does have great reviews from larians though. Every cat is different. Mine isn't so oily so once every 2 weeks or so works for her. My new baby will be a sticky bald and I may have to bathe him more frequently. I wouldn't change food and shampoo/wash at the same time so you can figure out if the rash is an allergy to the wash or the food. Just my two cents.:D

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MidemaEnn welcomijg you amd Nova to the lair family ! Look forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales ! Jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch

Yes - I switched foods amd shampoo /wash for my 4 Sphynx

I switched from Acana /Orijen (too loose stools amd grease balls on the food ! Had to wash I swear welwell they were brown in 3 days !

I switched to Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag - I can go 4+ weeks wothoitwithout a full spa day now
No poo or skin issues x4
( mine Hattie spa day so definitely a plus )
I do in between wipe downs with a few drops of Hylyt shampoo in a pitcher of water with baby face cloths.
Baby wipes just didn't seem to do anything for my crew

I loooove Hylyt shampoo
It is soap free hypoallergenic @Shmeeps
I actually soothed from Aveeno baby wash to Hylyt years ago recommended by s member to me
My vets office sells it and I buy cheap at chewy online .

I am sure our Canadian members can chime in with great info and resources to purchase

So happy you and Nova joined us! Hope you can share pics and feel free to ask any questions :)

MidemaEnn

Lairian
Did you say pictures ;)

Attachments

• 20180804_113505.jpg
    20180804_113505.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 30

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. It can take a while to find the right shampoo and food that works well for them. With food you need to slowly change over and give the newest food a chance which can take a couple of weeks for some.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MidemaEnn welcome to sphynxlair for you and Nova. Nova is a beautiful cutie! I bath my crew once in 4 weeks. The less you can bath the better, less chance for dry skin or oiled up skin.
Hylyt is known as a good shampoo.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@MidemaEnn Aww, Nova is a beauty! I love that name too!

I dealt with food sensitivities with one of my dogs. It may be easiest to pick a food that is free of all common food culprits (ie grain-free, no corn, no soy, no chicken). You could also do raw, so that way you know exactly what your girl is eating!

Hylyt is great! I wash Kenzo with Hylyt once every 6 weeks or so. The theory is: more often you wash them, the quicker they get dirty. I would imagine you could start out by washing her every 10 days, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, finally down to once a month, or whatever time frame you would prefer. That way, her body will get the signal to stop overproducing the oils gradually, and start to regulate the natural balance once again. Otherwise, you would have to just tolerate a very greasy girl for a few weeks at a time, lol.

Please share more pictures when you can! She looks like my boy’s grandma queen! Beautiful! :cat:

Back