Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Charcoal Pet Portraits

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hi everyone! I’ve been around Sphynxlair for years and I love it here.

Several years ago I discovered I had some talent with charcoals and I really love to make art with them. I particularly enjoy doing portraits of Sphynx cats! I would love the opportunity to draw your beloved cat so you can have a treasured piece of artwork of your love for years to come.

A few things to consider:

1) The most important thing I need from you is a HIGH quality photo. The more clear and detailed your photo is, the better the drawing will be.

Example of a drawing from a not so good photo:
1c7e1135b90596b87a79753b31766553.jpg

Examples of drawings done from a clear, high quality photo:
db1650743854539cc22646fb325fc0e7.jpg

73f2abc14c879d74836269b35a7c25de.jpg

2) After it is completed, the art is sprayed with a fixatiff to help prevent smudging.

3) The size of the paper is 9x12 inches.

4) I pack your drawing carefully. It is first placed into a plastic slip, then between 2 pieces of cardboard, then in a stiff mailer. This is all to prevent damage to the drawing. Pet parents are receiving their art in excellent condition.

5) I can do your art in 2 different size variations on the paper.
A) Covering the whole paper. Choose this if you will be putting the drawing in a 9x12 inch frame.
B) Fit within an area for matting. Choose this if you want to matte your artwork. The standard size matting for this size art is 11x14 inches matte with inner measurements of 8x10 inches.

6) Price is $60 plus shipping. Typically artwork of this size is around $200 but you guys are special, being Sphynx moms and dads.

I truly hope I get the chance to immortalize your precious kitties. It would be my honor!

-Stephanie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 Love love ❤️ my Claire Bare drawings
I did not have the best photos to submit . Stephanie did amazing!

My charcoals arrived fast and in purrfect condition

Thank you !

I will most certainly be working on higher quality photos of my crew :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
I just did a piece for @Uksphynxmum of both of her babies. I won’t post here until she gets to see it first.

I have never done 2 cats on one page before. I noticed that I can’t get quite as much detail in them because they are smaller. Keep that in mind if you are wanting more than one cat on the page.

It still looks good though. ;)

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi everyone! I’ve been around Sphynxlair for years and I love it here.

Several years ago I discovered I had some talent with charcoals and I really love to make art with them. I particularly enjoy doing portraits of Sphynx cats! I would love the opportunity to draw your beloved cat so you can have a treasured piece of artwork of your love for years to come.

A few things to consider:

1) The most important thing I need from you is a HIGH quality photo. The more clear and detailed your photo is, the better the drawing will be.

Example of a drawing from a not so good photo:
1c7e1135b90596b87a79753b31766553.jpg

Examples of drawings done from a clear, high quality photo:
db1650743854539cc22646fb325fc0e7.jpg

73f2abc14c879d74836269b35a7c25de.jpg

2) After it is completed, the art is sprayed with a fixatiff to help prevent smudging.

3) The size of the paper is 9x12 inches.

4) I pack your drawing carefully. It is first placed into a plastic slip, then between 2 pieces of cardboard, then in a stiff mailer. This is all to prevent damage to the drawing. Pet parents are receiving their art in excellent condition.

5) I can do your art in 2 different size variations on the paper.
A) Covering the whole paper. Choose this if you will be putting the drawing in a 9x12 inch frame.
B) Fit within an area for matting. Choose this if you want to matte your artwork. The standard size matting for this size art is 11x14 inches matte with inner measurements of 8x10 inches.

6) Price is $60 plus shipping. Typically artwork of this size is around $200 but you guys are special, being Sphynx moms and dads.

I truly hope I get the chance to immortalize your precious kitties. It would be my honor!

-Stephanie

Hi there ! Wow you have a serious talent ! Your art work is truly awesome ! Any one would be proud to own a piece of your work
Xxx❤️❤️❤️Xxx

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Sheldon13 was so kind to make a charcoal of my precious Foxy when I mentioned Foxy should have turned one year old (Foxy passed the rainbow bridge).

It arrived today and made me all teary cause she looks so alive and happy on it.

20190518_101223.jpg

I asked Stephanie to make an charcoal of Jade too. And wow...she captured Jade in play modus so well

20190518_101136.jpg

As you can see Jade is also very happy with her art work
20190518_101112.jpg

You are very talented Stephanie!

Natasja

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Sheldon13 was so kind to make a charcoal of my precious Foxy when I mentioned Foxy should have turned one year old (Foxy passed the rainbow bridge).

It arrived today and made me all teary cause she looks so alive and happy on it.

View attachment 92807

I asked Stephanie to make an charcoal of Jade too. And wow...she captured Jade in play modus so well

View attachment 92808

As you can see Jade is also very happy with her art work View attachment 92809

You are very talented Stephanie!

Natasja

Thank you. Your guys are all too kind with the compliments.

I truly enjoyed capturing your two beauties.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
...how are you doing with horses? :)
I would absolutely love to have a "Group" pic of Oz, Stormy, Jez, Livvy, Pixie... and maybe Squeaky too! :)
(Obviously not for just $60 as there would be a lot more than 1 critter in there!)

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
...how are you doing with horses? :)
I would absolutely love to have a "Group" pic of Oz, Stormy, Jez, Livvy, Pixie... and maybe Squeaky too! :)
(Obviously not for just $60 as there would be a lot more than 1 critter in there!)

The only thing about that is the more animals on the page the smaller everyone is, therefore the less detail I can add, so it’s not as realistic.

I have not tried horses...you have any closeups?

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The only thing about that is the more animals on the page the smaller everyone is, therefore the less detail I can add, so it’s not as realistic.

I have not tried horses...you have any closeups?

How many would you like lol

And how close would you like it to be? :p
Stormy does "extreme closeup" like a pro.
Just have a camera stuck in front of your face, and there is a Stormy nose in it.

Oz... Mr. Mucky.

Stormy resting behind the house.

Basically... I have / can take seriously high res images which will give you extreme detail, I just have to troop out with the prime lens. :)

That's the *reduced* resolution shot of Pixie, for instance. You can count hairs and see pores on that, even on the compressed image.

Same with Oz. (Taken with the same lens)

Or Stormy, when he was still a baby. :)

Photos won't be a problem, for sure. :)
But yeah, it would maybe turn out small...
What about A3 size? :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
Can me ignorant, but what is A3
Size?

I like that pic of Pixie.

I would say 3 max on one 9x12 is the most I would do. Maybe 4...

Sheldon13

Staff member
A3 is double A4 lol.
It's a European paper size norm. :)
Think approximately double US Letter size.

Ah ok. I’ve never tried on anything bigger because the shipping cost would be so high. I think it would not look as good too. But you never know till you try right?

Back