Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chicken as an allergen?

blindowlblues

Lairian
Hi again folks! It’s been a challenging last couple of weeks but I’m so thrilled to report another fully formed stool from Dasha last night.

At the encouragement of her medical team we went all duck last Thursday. No other proteins. Friday am she pooped a runny one, then … no more poop. Yesterday I took her to the vet and they concluded 1. She was forming a proper stool which was on its way down the chute, and 2. Her anal glands were huge and needed to be expressed (her doc says all the irritation of the diarrhea may have been a factor in this).

Then she put out her nice stool last night and I’m thrilled.

However … we are still going in for another stool analysis that will test for even more parasites and stuff like that. So I’m delivering that excellent stool to the doc this am. (She said it could be something like tritrichonoma, shudder!)

I joined the sphynx group on Facebook too and someone said a lot of Sphynx can’t handle chicken! I had no idea … that would explain a lot if she’s allergic to that too. Is it common?

Seems eliminating the fish helped her ears get better, but the GI element is more complicated.

Meanwhile she seems to be feeling great. The doc said that while she did lose weight for reasons we didn’t like, it was still ok because she was really kind of paunchy and bloaty when I got her. Her doc says she’s now at a good weight- if we can keep her GI system in order so she can stabilize at this point.

Thanks everyone here for always being so supportive as I find answers for my beloved Russian girl.

blindowlblues

Lairian
Had to add a couple pics of her “sassy face”

Attachments

• 14C9E379-F5CB-449E-81BD-434529A7A31F.jpeg
    14C9E379-F5CB-449E-81BD-434529A7A31F.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2434F9DD-0414-4CA2-8659-458C340B1350.jpeg
    2434F9DD-0414-4CA2-8659-458C340B1350.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 6

Yoda mom

Staff member
@blindowlblues , yah for good poop! duck protein was a game changer for one of my pups who couldnt handle chicken.

keep us updated on the stool checks, rule out coccidae , tritrichomonas ( it takes its own medication ronidazole).
with the positive progress with the duck food sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
hugs n head smooches, sweet sassy Dasha photos!

blindowlblues

Lairian
Today we had one liquid stool early am, and one fully formed stool midday! So I’m thinking we are still headed in the right direction. @Letitia what brands and styles of duck do you find most acceptable?

Letitia

Lairian
Today we had one liquid stool early am, and one fully formed stool midday! So I’m thinking we are still headed in the right direction. @Letitia what brands and styles of duck do you find most acceptable?

After lots of trial and error, we have been using this one from Koha.

blindowlblues

Lairian
The expanded stool test looked for 22 different parasites and Dasha was negative for ALL of them! So this does appear to be food allergies. We are staying the course with the duck and were rewarded just this am with another excellent stool from the lovely lady!

Attachments

• 3515BA9E-55EA-469C-B845-DA5CD356D905.jpeg
    3515BA9E-55EA-469C-B845-DA5CD356D905.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 6

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That’s great news! Now you know what to direct your attention to for sure. We always laugh how we get excited for good poop!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@blindowlblues , biggest hugs and happy dance Dasha's expanded testing came back negative! You surely are on the right track adorable Team Dasha!! glad the duck food is setting in for her tummy. when you get a chance, can you share a pic/image of the duck food, helpful for members that may be going thru poo issues too.
also, what the "expanded" testing was named at the vets office to order to have done with the other 22 things tested for. very helpful to all of us. thank you for sharing team Dasha.

keep the good poos coming! oh, the things that make us happy :)

thank you for sharing Dasha's sweet photo. she is a baby doll with the bestest mum love and care. hugs n head smooches.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nagaminesan , Sharing members mention of expanded stool test

@blindowlblues , what was the name of the actual test to ask for testing for the expanded stool sample check that checked for 22 parasites?
helpful to all of us to know what particular test?

and of course, checking in for updates on Dasha

sharing as an example , I know with my pups and cats (even when they were not seniors ) I always ask for a "senior" panel blood work which includes more testing and cheaper than ordering individually.

blindowlblues

Lairian
@Yoda mom here’s what the vet said about the test:
“The Keyscreen is a polymerase chain reaction technique, used to detect small quantities of DNA specific to a pathogenic agent.”
I’m attaching a pic of the results so it will show you all the agents they tested for. Dasha was negative on everything!

I’m glad we have settled on the duck for now as she’s eating really well and reliably. Stools are still soft, sometimes more so than others, but I feel overall improvement and a lot less GI upset. They tell me it may take as long as 8 weeks to see a difference on this kind of diet.

Thank you for asking about my girl!! She is starting to feel totally at home I think - and demands to be in my bedroom while I’m at work during the day. My mom is retired and stays home with her.

She has started to eat some kibble of the blue Buffalo brand with duck meat. It’s not her favorite thing but I think she likes it for a snack now and then. She has really taken to the Origen freeze dried duck. Tho it’s labeled for dogs - don’t tell her!!

Attachments

• 1F75EEE7-90B1-4A82-8CB7-DC0185F72864.jpeg
    1F75EEE7-90B1-4A82-8CB7-DC0185F72864.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4

Yoda mom

Staff member
@blindowlblues , thank you for the fast reply and information about the test, helpful to the SL community.
so happy all negative results!
She is settling in nicely and glad going in the right direction on the food :) Took my Macie Mae 12 weeks for food to settle and never an issue again.

so sweet she has your mom at home while you are at work. they are such attention seekers. the personalities of my adoptees reallly shined through with passing time. Batman was soo shy when I adopted him over a decade ago. .. he is a busy buddy and so Chatty. would not believe he is the same kitty. he is go go go and now 13 1/2 yrs old!

Dasha is a sweetie struck gold in your hearts and home. hugs n head smooches.
look forward to updates pics and tales!

Back