Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Choosing the right kitten

We got to meet the kittens today! One of them will join our family. I thought meeting them would make it all clear but it didn’t. I’m more confused now than before. They were all so lovely. Can you help me decide based on your experience? I want a kitty that wants to be around my kids and cuddle with me. My hairy kitty won’t venture out around kids or children so a more outgoing cat would be a good compliment. We have three young kids, one Great Dane, one cavalier King Charles and a Himalayan. Obviously it’s busy.
We met four boy Sphynx kittens and they were so lovely I don’t know how to choose. Any advice? I got permission to share pix.

Bald pink boy: Easily the most outgoing, adventurous, and playful. I could easily see him doing well in our house except I have heard the baldies are harder to take care of and it’s my first Sphynx! Also he wasn’t as affectionate but still sweet!

Slightly fuzzy pink boy: So, so sweet. The cuddle bug of the family for sure. So laid back. I worry if he’d be up for the business of our house though.

Tuxedo boy: A little bit of a loner but otherwise playful and cuddly. Not as outgoing as the pink guys but very confident unafraid.

Grey/white: playful but erratic. Likely a little too unpredictable for our family as he is possessive of things and food.

How did you choose your babies? Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got to meet the kittens today! One of them will join our family. I thought meeting them would make it all clear but it didn’t. I’m more confused now than before. They were all so lovely. Can you help me decide based on your experience? I want a kitty that wants to be around my kids and cuddle with me. My hairy kitty won’t venture out around kids or children so a more outgoing cat would be a good compliment. We have three young kids, one Great Dane, one cavalier King Charles and a Himalayan. Obviously it’s busy.
We met four boy Sphynx kittens and they were so lovely I don’t know how to choose. Any advice? I got permission to share pix.

Bald pink boy: Easily the most outgoing, adventurous, and playful. I could easily see him doing well in our house except I have heard the baldies are harder to take care of and it’s my first Sphynx! Also he wasn’t as affectionate but still sweet!

Slightly fuzzy pink boy: So, so sweet. The cuddle bug of the family for sure. So laid back. I worry if he’d be up for the business of our house though.

Tuxedo boy: A little bit of a loner but otherwise playful and cuddly. Not as outgoing as the pink guys but very confident unafraid.

Grey/white: playful but erratic. Likely a little too unpredictable for our family as he is possessive of things and food.

How did you choose your babies? Any tips?

I’d take them all he he lovely

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ooooooh they're all so cute.
One of my boys is really very bald and he's isn't harder to take care for. He gets less dirty then his brother who has a little bit of peach fuzz!
So wouldn't let that be in your way.

I think most sphynx kittens will do great in your household. They're young enough to learn and whwn they're treatened right they'll love to cuddle and play. All will have there own personality though. They will all have there good sides and less good sides, just like we all do. So go with the one who has the most things you want in a sphynx and accept the things you like less:)

Good luck with picking. Go with your heart and guts, I'm sure you'll pick the right one!

Oh wow, yup super tough!!! Myself and @Catzzzmeow just went through this! Hardest thing ever! But you’ll know... chances are there is one that is speaking to you! Also if you get some insight from the breeder as to which one is drawn to toys or prone to goofing with its brothers or sisters that might be a good thing to ask as well to see what the playfulness level or instigation level is! Good luck they are all sweet!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They are all so cute! Although, from your post, it seems like you are leaning towards the bald pinky! You seemed most excited about that baby in the description. Just trust your gut and go with the kitten that spoke the most to your heart.
I think your friend was talking about a sticky-bald sphynx. I’ve no experience (new mom to be), but I read that sticky balds tend to collect more dirt and oil than others. But, even if that was the case, a little extra grooming is worth the trouble if that baby has your heart!!
Btw, is that the tuxedo you were mentioning they were trying to charge extra for? I remember your other post from a week or so ago. Just curious.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Go with your gut
You writing you could easily see him doing well in your house
Says it all IMHO

Baldies aren't harder tot take care of - and remember we are here for you to answer any questions on "spa day "tips etc

Let us know what you decide :)

Thank you all so much for your opinions!!! I love all of this support. Thank you!!!
@Monica yes, the same kitty that was supposed to cost more.
I am just having a hard time as I was set on getting a fuzzy, particularly the tux fuzz. Lol. The baldy was the only one I was sure I wasn’t going to get! It’s a departure from what was expected and I love the tux cats look. But personality really is more important than looks so if I can convince my kids we are getting the baldy. If not, the tux. And I feel so guilty because the fuzzy pink guy was so calm and so laid back. Just an affectionate little lover and I feel bad turning him down.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Lots to think about
I still don't believe imho the tux fuzz cutie kitty should cost more

Follow your gut

They are all so stinkin cute!

Lol the dog I took home wasnt the one I was going to bring home at first

Lol 5 yrs later he is at my feet :)

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@BaldJedi It’s a difficult, but welcome struggle!
I remember when I got my dog Boogie. I had been helping my roommate pick out a puppy. We had already looked at 3-4 other litters over those last couple weeks. They were all adorable pups, but I had zero intention of getting one myself. So much so, I didn’t even bring money with me when we went to visit the final litter. Well, that changed the moment I saw Boogie. He literally chose me! Ran up out of no where the moment we walked in, looked right in my eyes and gave me the sweetest puppy kiss. I instantly said “we need to go to the bank.” I knew in one instant that we were meant to be together!! His eyes speak to my soul, corny as that sounds.
I think any kitten you pick will grow to be a fit in your family in one way or another. However, if ones personality is speaking to you more than others, that cat will probably have the smoothest transition into the family and be an easy fit. My yorkie is a perfectly adorable, as he should be at $3,200, but only knows 2 tricks, still has accidents, and doesnt listen, bless him lol. You must command him to cooperate, like most dogs. Boogie, on the other hand, is a hybrid bull-boxer, and I SWEAR he knows English. You can speak and request actions from him like a human, and he politely obeys. I’m sure breed personalities have some part in their behaviors, but Boogie was the best $125 I’ve ever spent!;):ROFLMAO:

Long story short personality > appearance.

Also, I agree with @Yoda mom, the tuxedo babe should be the same price as the others. While very handsome, he is only unique in appearance to that litter, but relatively common in the cat fancy. Let us know how it goes! You can’t choose wrong!:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@BaldJedi ah! Congrats to you and your family ! Double Bubble Cuddles! Love it !
He is precious! Amd hey he matches part of your user name

So excited for you ! look forward to updates!

Woot woot!! Congrats to you and Double Bubble Trouble Snuggle Cuddles!!!! When is gotcha day??
I am not sure yet. I was thinking at 10 weeks (mid June) but now I’m considering waiting until 12-14 weeks if she’ll have him. I’m worried about his development.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would say leave him till at least 12weeks if you can even if it's hard. He will be learning a lot from his litter mates and his mum at that age. Even though it's crazy hard to wait :p

I would say leave him till at least 12weeks if you can even if it's hard. He will be learning a lot from his litter mates and his mum at that age. Even though it's crazy hard to wait :p
What if she doesn’t keep his litter mates that long? Still leave him with his mama? Originally she said 8 weeks but I told her I would be more comfortable with at least 10. 12 weeks should be easy.

Also I feel so sad splitting up the family. Mama loves those babies so and they’re such good friends.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What if she doesn’t keep his litter mates that long? Still leave him with his mama? Originally she said 8 weeks but I told her I would be more comfortable with at least 10. 12 weeks should be easy.

12 weeks seems to be the standard wait time, with some breeders extending to 14-16 weeks. She really should keep them until 12 weeks. Even if she lets the other kittens get picked up earlier, it will be beneficial for your kitten to stay with the mother until at least 12 weeks. I’m assuming the breeder is allowing the kittens to leave intact?

12 weeks seems to be the standard wait time, with some breeders extending to 14-16 weeks. She really should keep them until 12 weeks. Even if she lets the other kittens get picked up earlier, it will be beneficial for your kitten to stay with the mother until at least 12 weeks. I’m assuming the breeder is allowing the kittens to leave intact?
Yes. I want mine neutered ASAP though!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah like others have said if his littermates leave earlier he will still be learning from his mum and it's all a very important time of learning for him :)