Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chronic Bronchitis/Herpes Virus/Wet coughs

Halis412

Lairian
Hello everyone, im writing this as a post hoping someone with similar experience can suggest anything that can help my case:  (sorry for long descriptions!!)

starting from beginning:
According to my vet both of my cats inherited Herpes Virus from their mom (possibly due to bad breeder).
they both showed signs of URI from a young age which i got them treated immediately, i started the nebulizing as well as trying different antibiotics - We first tried Marbocyl which wasnt so effective, then tried Amoxyclav which responded well but the signs came back as soon as the meds were stopped.

I read some posts here on URI and tried doxycycline - the results were good but again it would come back once the meds were stopped.

I cant remember when but both of my cats started wheezing almost or like having an asthma attacks? I was always careful with any scents around the house like candles, perfumes etc perhaps there were other things triggering the wheezing..

I reported to The vet and she suggested i do BAL - the results were chronic bronchitis & solution to that we got steroids/inhaler plus continue with the nebulizer.

I follow everything the vet tells me, i try to be careful with anything that could trigger them. i try to nebulize them at least once a day but the nasal discharge doesnt seem to lessen.

with the inhaler. the wheezing stopped drastically, i was so happy to finally see some positive results; however months later, they started to have this wet/mucusy cough - the vet prescribed Ambroxol HCl syrup, it helped to break down the phlegm in the coughs , it was good until again i stopped giving them it.

I am so confused :( ! I dont know what im doing wrong or right and why is one thing helping but then developing new things??

im SO desperate for proper help!! I feel so bad for my babies that im feeding them different meds everytime, im sure its not nice on them too :( it hurts me seeing them sick :"(

Halis412

Lairian
@Halis412 , awh.. hugs n positive vibe head smooches for your babies. we are here for you. did vet mention if they can be put back on the ambroxol syrup ?

tagging @Toa and Ross, @Catzzzmeow. @Zab
yes I still give them the syrup as the cough comes and goes. im not sure what causes the cough exactly though?
It all seems like a never ending cycle, I cure it today, it comes back tomorrow.. :(

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Halis412 Ahh hugs breathing difficulties are awful for both the pet and the person.

Are you giving inhalers daily? How often are you doing nebulizer treatments?

I’m not sure what a BAL test is? When I was testing Agnes for asthma we did a TTW trans tracheal wash. I was prescribed a twice daily inhaler and rescue inhaler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear you are dealing with this issue. I have no experience with asthma related issues. Hope others will chime in!

Halis412

Lairian
@Halis412 Ahh hugs breathing difficulties are awful for both the pet and the person.

Are you giving inhalers daily? How often are you doing nebulizer treatments?

I’m not sure what a BAL test is? When I was testing Agnes for asthma we did a TTW trans tracheal wash. I was prescribed a twice daily inhaler and rescue inhaler.
I used to give them the inhaler twice a day and when the attacks became less i stopped giving twice a day, i only give them now when they have an attack. and i try to nebulize at least once a day.

BAL is Bronchoalveolar lavage, they take a sample from the lungs to see what are the causes. this is how i found out they had chronic bronchitis.

Halis412

Lairian
Just an update, I've started the doxy for 2 weeks dose this time along with the ambroxol syrup for the wet coughs again, plus im trying to nebulize them twice a day and give them extra immunity treats. Im doing everything I can at this point.

Hopefully this time I can manage at least one of the sicknesses. Fingers crossed :)

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hopefully the combination helps! I thought that was what the BAL was.

keep us posted! you are doing an incredible job keeping up with all of this

Back