Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

CHRONIC RASHES AND ITCHINESS ON MY SPHYNX, KEITH!!!

keithsphynx94

Lairian
Keith is 5 years old about to be 6 and I got him when he was 4. Almost immediately after getting him from his breeder, he began to break out in rashes. I have tried EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING!! He's been on hypoallergenic diets, he was even on steroids at one point. I have consulted multiple vets and took him to a dermatologist who put him on Zyrtec. The Zyrtec helped a lot for a few months, but now the rashes are back and he is constantly in discomfort. I can't afford to keep taking him to different vets only to have no solution! he uses world's best cat litter unscented. I need a miracle!!!! :cry:

Attachments

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What about laundry detergent? Do you feed the same food the breeder fed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Has your baby been tested for allergies? One and done testing can be priceless. I agree with @dare2Bbare about detergents you might try a new detergent like Dreft which is used for human baby clothes. Try using it on your personal laundry.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@keithsphynx94 , awhhh .... Healing vibes and hugs to you sent that you get relief for Keith

What was his previous litter and food at the breeder ?
Just brainstorming ...

I have read some kitties are sensitive to worlds best litter .

One popular litter used by many of us with good results is Dr Elseys cat litter - hypoallergenic - in the blue and white bag
as Hylyt shampoo soap free . hypoallergenic shampoo is another popular item

Also many of us stopped using dryer sheets ..more brainstorming
Keep us updated often

Attachments

Last edited:

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bumping vets isn't always the best thing either. It is usually benificual to stock with one so they can follow the progress, or else everything starts at square one each and every time.

And allergy test is probably a great idea :) hopefully it's an easy fix

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@keithsphynx94 I was going to suggest the litter as a possible issue same as @Yoda mom already suggested. I have read that MANY sphyx have issues from that world's best cat litter also.
Welcome to the Lair. I hope you find relief for your lil Love Keith soon! Gentle head butts and healing vibes from Buck & Pinky

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
First thing get rid of the world's best cat litter. ASAP
It looks like a yeast infection.
Second, go to a University near you.
Have them draw blood to test for all allergies.
University Animal Hospitals are the best.

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Are you feeding a different food than what the breeder fed? Is he getting ear infections also as they are a common sign of allergies? I would contact the breeder and see if you are using something different that they were (food, litter, laundry detergent etc). Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If your vet feels it is allergy related you can ask about Atopica for cats. It is what I used on Vito and it worked very well. It takes a while to reach full effect and then you start slowly reducing the frequency of the dose until he is on the minimum dosing that keeps the symptoms at bay. Your vet of course will guide you in that process.

Also, you can have allergy blood testing done. It is quite pricey, but if you need to know what he is allergic to it is an option. I hope that helps a bit. Good luck in getting things sorted out.