Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chronic runny eyes - solution!!

suzfoote

Lairian
Hey all!! So my little McNulty has been suffering from chronic runny eyes his whole life.. Vets think it's herpes. He has been on countless meds, eye drops, creams, L-Lysine, etc. And none of then ever cleared it up. There was one post on here that came up on Google.. Suggesting Lactoferrin. I ordered some from Amazon right away, and here we are two weeks later and his runny eyes have stopped for the most part!! Thank you to whoever suggested this, and to anyone with the same problem.. I highly suggest it!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm glad you found something that works!! :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all!! So my little McNulty has been suffering from chronic runny eyes his whole life.. Vets think it's herpes. He has been on countless meds, eye drops, creams, L-Lysine, etc. And none of then ever cleared it up. There was one post on here that came up on Google.. Suggesting Lactoferrin. I ordered some from Amazon right away, and here we are two weeks later and his runny eyes have stopped for the most part!! Thank you to whoever suggested this, and to anyone with the same problem.. I highly suggest it!

Thats great news! How much were you giving your kitty @suzfoote? 250 or 500 ml? Sprinkled over food or? :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@suzfoote , wonderful update amd adorable picture :)
Head smooches sent

Are you giving it like l-lysine dosage ?

Shout out to @celsei for this earlier post about lactoferrin
Thank you for sharing

"Also in case it's a virus type URI try supplementing lysine and lactoferrin if possible to boost the immune system, they're over the counter supplements ones for humans are fine if they have no additives (lactoferrin can be with colostrum, that's fine). The viral type would not respond to antibiotics and they can also cause lack of appetite (cause they can't smell) and lethargy. Try enticing with something with a strong smell like tuna for example. Hope it's something treatable

Evaluation of Lysine and Lysine-Lactoferrin Association in Cats Infected by Feline Herpesvirus-1
http://www.jiac-j.com/article/S1341-321X(14)00286-4/abstract
Boosting Immune and Digestive Health with Lactoferrin and Probiotics - AANP"

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@suzfoote happy to hear you find something that works for McNulty! Thanks for sharing the info here. Always good to know.

And what an adorable crew on the pic!

Mousemumma

Lairian
Thank you! I have the same problem with pixie, in fact the breeder thought I would not want her with it when I had been having photos since her birth! Vets keep talking about expensive tests and horrendous sounding scrapes so now I have something to try THANKS SO MUCH (y);):kiss:

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Great to hear! What brand of Lactoferrin did you get?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is great you found something to help.
Good advice, for other's that might have this issue.
Thanks for sharing.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@suzfoote, Would you be so kind to start a new thread about your experience with Lactoferrin and McNulty :)
in case members missed this wonderful update

I see you used Yarrow brand 250 mg mixed in wet food

Is the Lactoferrin powder form or capsules you open and mix in food ?
Like we have seen used with l-lysine L-Lysine for Sphynx Cats

* Did you just give the Lactoferrin and no l-lysine ?

Members can check with their vet about supplementing with Lactoferrin
For their individual kitties needs

Head smooches sent :)

Last edited:

Thunderheader

Lairian
@suzfoote , are you giving this daily such as you would l-lysine? Thank you for the suggestion, I just placed an order and I figure. One more supplement to try before another vet visit.

suzfoote

Lairian
@suzfoote , are you giving this daily such as you would l-lysine? Thank you for the suggestion, I just placed an order and I figure. One more supplement to try before another vet visit.
Yes, I give one capsule daily, with his l-lysine!

suzfoote

Lairian
Let me know how it goes :) I think I started noticing after about a week, week and a half