Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chronic sneezing

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do you guys know of any sphynx who have mystery chronic sneezing issues? Here’s why I ask… I have an owner with a sneezy cat who is very frustrated that she can’t figure out why her baby is constantly launching snot rockets. She runs a vet clinic and has gotten negative results to every test they can think of including viruses, bacteria, x-rays, MRIs, allergies, etc. The only thing they haven’t done yet is exploratory surgery of the nasal cavity. I feel so bad. :-( Any thoughts? Can you think of any past threads about this? I searched but didn’t see anything that came up with any answers.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know about sneezing, but we had problems with chronic coughing due to litter... pine pellets, and the cheap clay litter both caused it.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do you guys know of any sphynx who have mystery chronic sneezing issues? Here’s why I ask… I have an owner with a sneezy cat who is very frustrated that she can’t figure out why her baby is constantly launching snot rockets. She runs a vet clinic and has gotten negative results to every test they can think of including viruses, bacteria, x-rays, MRIs, allergies, etc. The only thing they haven’t done yet is exploratory surgery of the nasal cavity. I feel so bad. :-( Any thoughts? Can you think of any past threads about this? I searched but didn’t see anything that came up with any answers.

Only two things come to mind:
1) I first thought of Sissy when I got her because she sneezed snot rockets ALL over the place for weeks. But I had taken her to the vet immediately when I got her and nicely said that I wanted her nasal mucous cultured. It did come back as one particular bacteria and we learned which antibiotic she needed to take to clear it up. When there is an ongoing problem with the sinuses, even in humans, it can take a couple of courses of antibiotics to clear it up. I also kept her nostrils hydrated as best I could with a humidifier and saline drops.

2) Then I thought of something that the cat may be allergic to that is causing all the sneezing.

Have they tried something like Benadryl to see if that alleviated the sneezing? I've got nothing else to offer right now.

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I’ll ask about the litter. I know they’ve done multiple mucous panels and allergy testing but I’m not sure if they tried giving benedryl to see what happens or not.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I’ll ask about the litter. I know they’ve done multiple mucous panels and allergy testing but I’m not sure if they tried giving benedryl to see what happens or not.

If it's not the litter, then ask if they are using something like Arm & Hammer mixed in the litter. Ask if they have carpets and use a powder that they sprinkle on it for a nice smelling house.

If the cat is sneezing snot rockets, I'd think that there is more wrong than something simply tickling his/her nose.

Have they increased L-Lysine to see if that has helped?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds as if something in the home is causing the sneezing if there are no other symptoms and the vet ruled out an illness, I would start with simple things like:
  • Low dust cat litter
  • If anyone wears body sprays or perfumes and cologne, stop for a week or two.
  • Air fresheners - Fabreeze - Glade , etc. again, stop for a week or two.
  • Candles
  • Smoking?

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I passed a long all of the ideas and suggestions. Here’s some of the answers to your questions and things I missed. Any other thoughts based on this? I’m at a total loss. :-( She’s consulting with another all feline clinic so I’m praying they come up with something.

• He is on the clumping litter with a dust filter.

• I have done a benadryl trial, but it did not affect his fits. He has also been on clavamox, doxy, baytril, convenia and a dex trial. Nothing has seemed to help

• My dog is allergic to all cleaning products so we only use lemon based products in the house and no other powders/sprays etc.

• I use an Pearlyte veterinary shampoo to bathe him.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I passed a long all of the ideas and suggestions. Here’s some of the answers to your questions and things I missed. Any other thoughts based on this? I’m at a total loss. :-( She’s consulting with another all feline clinic so I’m praying they come up with something.

• He is on the clumping litter with a dust filter.

• I have done a benadryl trial, but it did not affect his fits. He has also been on clavamox, doxy, baytril, convenia and a dex trial. Nothing has seemed to help

• My dog is allergic to all cleaning products so we only use lemon based products in the house and no other powders/sprays etc.

• I use an Pearlyte veterinary shampoo to bathe him.

Is there such thing as an ENT vet? I'm thinking that the kitten has something in it's nose that needs to be removed. Something that tickles the notrils to the point of sneezing fits. That's what I would look into next. A good look up the kitten's nostrils with a light and a scope.

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think that’s basically the next step. They couldn’t find any abnormalities by X-ray or MRI so if the new all feline clinic doesn’t have any other ideas she’s going to have to anesthetize him so they can go into the nasal cavities and see what’s up.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think that’s basically the next step. They couldn’t find any abnormalities by X-ray or MRI so if the new all feline clinic doesn’t have any other ideas she’s going to have to anesthetize him so they can go into the nasal cavities and see what’s up.
Like my vet suggested about mine, it could be nasal polyps, they don't show up on scans. My kitty was a negative for them *sigh

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Is it just sneezing fits with clear "spraying" or is he literally sneezing snot rockets across the room? If so, describe the color of the snot rockets.

Back