Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Claw cleaning

NapsAndDreams

Lairian
I don't even have a question, really. I'm just deeply insecure about the job I'm doing keeping my cats claws clean and I'm terrified I'm going to break their toes if I rub too hard, and could really just use some cameraderie and support on the subject. No links to professional videos or anything, unless you're the one who made them. I want to connect with sphynx owners over my fears.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
the purrito way is a great way to clean and clip nails. I always clean them with baby wipes and clip them with a cat nail clipper. I always worry I make the nails to short and it'll be painful for the crew. So I understand your worries. Hugs. Hope someone can post a video

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
How are you holding them when you clean/clip their nails? For me, I sit down and place them on my lap facing them away from me. They like the support of their back against my stomach. I do not lay them down. I am lucky I do not need to wrap them in a blanket Purrito style, but we had one who I did some times and still sat her facing away in my lap and pulled out one paw at a time. You can leave a flap to put over their head and cover their eyes as well if they get really rambunctious. I always go in confident and snip quickly.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NapsAndDreams , in the beginning I was nervous about nail trimming. I wore a little head lamp so I could see the nail quick. I have a little chair in my bathroom. I place them on my lap facing away from me. When I adopted my duo they had long nails , clicking on the ground. They protested ,growled ,mock bit at my hand.! it was rather scary at first.

I did one toe really well, lots of praise. worked up to two toes, one paw till finally all four feet.
I did notice not every nail needed to be trimmed everytime depending on how they scratch on their scratching post. the "thumb nail" watch for curving inward.

sorry I dont have a video. I like the inexpensive chi cat nail trimmer, easy to hold and has stayed sharp, clean cuts and has held up well to checking/trimming 1-2 x a week as needed.

for cleaning around nail beds I use trizultra dampened on a swissper cotton round. I can use my own nail thru the swissper pad to scrape a little while cleaning.
mine have flappy skin folds around nails that can hide gunk. I found on just certain nails skin folds more than others. I gently press to remove any gunk then wipe with a dry cotton swissper.

Toby love adoptee really disliked pawdicure time in the beginning . down right nasty attitude. I had to put him belly up coddling on my lap. this way he automatically extended his rear nails and I could trim. now can just place him on my lap facing away from me as I do they others.

many use baby wipes. I keep on hand waterwipes too.

here is another members post :

Attachments

• waterwipes.jpg
    waterwipes.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Letitia

Lairian
@NapsAndDreams , in the beginning I was nervous about nail trimming. I wore a little head lamp so I could see the nail quick. I have a little chair in my bathroom. I place them on my lap facing away from me. When I adopted my duo they had long nails , clicking on the ground. They protested ,growled ,mock bit at my hand.! it was rather scary at first.

I did one toe really well, lots of praise. worked up to two toes, one paw till finally all four feet.
I did notice not every nail needed to be trimmed everytime depending on how they scratch on their scratching post. the "thumb nail" watch for curving inward.

sorry I dont have a video. I like the inexpensive chi cat nail trimmer, easy to hold and has stayed sharp, clean cuts and has held up well to checking/trimming 1-2 x a week as needed.

for cleaning around nail beds I use trizultra dampened on a swissper cotton round. I can use my own nail thru the swissper pad to scrape a little while cleaning.
mine have flappy skin folds around nails that can hide gunk. I found on just certain nails skin folds more than others. I gently press to remove any gunk then wipe with a dry cotton swissper.

Toby love adoptee really disliked pawdicure time in the beginning . down right nasty attitude. I had to put him belly up coddling on my lap. this way he automatically extended his rear nails and I could trim. now can just place him on my lap facing away from me as I do they others.

many use baby wipes. I keep on hand waterwipes too.

here is another members post :
I wear a headlamp, too! Thought I was alone in this. I can't imagine how ridiculous I must look!

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Dolly girl has the most gunky nail beds. I’ve struggled since I adopted her with cleaning them. She gets feisty and tries biting my hands. I have been starting to clean them regularly but she still fights me. I have gauze pads that are soaked in nolvasan solution it’s a chlorhexadine solution. It has antibacterial properties. I gently wipe her nail beds to get the gunk out it’s just awful how impacted they get.
For trimming the nails I use good old fashioned nail clippers for people. I generally do the sneak attack method which is catch her when she’s sleeping and quickly get the tips of the nails lol.

Back