Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Claw clipping

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How do you guys deal with the back foot claws?
Mine will NOT let me clip them, so I always have murder claws in my shoulder and whatnot.
I want to snip them, but it's a case of no dice. (Bear in mind I'm on my own. There's no "have someone hold them" to do this.)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We do it in 2's. one holds, one clips. I'm the holder. works fine.
I don't have anyone to help, that's the point. With two it wouldn't be a huge problem, but on your own... holding down a cat that wants to kill you, AND clip nails at the same time...is just not happening.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do as the first commenter mentioned and wrap mine up in a cat blanket. They don't mind the clipping, but miss Raven can get feisty when I'm getting the black gunk off her back paws. Pictured is how she protests, and her brother Finn being a doll in his purrito
IMG_9868.JPEG
IMG_6712.JPEG

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I
I wait until kitty is sleepy. I can usually get 1 foot done that way. Then I just do the other one later.
I got him Inwaited for him to fall asleep then woke home up and started on the back legs first. As this is my first cat ever I did draw blood I am being honest. Then I would take home for his bath. Which he hates .

But now he is used to his nails being done all 20 in one go. I have only had him for 9 months. But I read in a post by our expert gurus. Hold them firmly under your right armpit. It works. . Sorry Sheldon 13 somehow my answer came as your quote

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had the same problem @Silke

The best I could do was the front claws and even then I had to spread it out over a couple of days. Get them when they're napping because they put up less of a fight. Keep clippers strategically placed near where you and the cats hang out....for me it's the living room.

But that's what I used to do until I found someone that could come to my house and clip their nails for me. I'm very lucky in that regard. I had seen this pet grooming salon when I was driving around. One day that I was particularly frustrated I called to see how much they would charge. To my delight, the lady who owns it said she would come by my house and clip them for $10 per cat. I don't have money to burn but I can afford $30 once a month. Her husband had recently passed (complication from surgery) so a little extra money comes in handy but mostly she loves animals. She lives in the rural part of the county and has a petting zoo on her property for kiddie parties. Only her grooming salon is here in the city so she comes by after work when she's already in the area. I think it works out for both of us.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I found the nails that randomly fly off from clipping can go in eyes even when being careful. Worried about them going in ears as well. So always watching and on alert.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I found the nails that randomly fly off from clipping can go in eyes even when being careful. Worried about them going in ears as well. So always watching and on alert.

I usually wear my glasses when clipping, for that reason. It helps. If you are worried about ears you can try putting cotton balls in them.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I usually wear my glasses when clipping, for that reason. It helps. If you are worried about ears you can try putting cotton balls in them.

Great idea, I put earphones in and wear a face mask as well as glasses!

I can't put glasses on my cat though - she got a nail in her eye which I needed to get out as well!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Great idea, I put earphones in and wear a face mask as well as glasses!

I can't put glasses on my cat though - she got a nail in her eye which I needed to get out as well!

Lol I guess my kitties (the Sphynx anyways) are so upset they can’t even look at me...because he closes his eyes and so did Ellie

Back