Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Claw ripped completely off- how do I groom?!

WednesdayPugsly

Lairian
Hi all! This is my first ever post, but I have been lurking on these super helpful forums for years. Let me preface this post by saying that I already have googled and googled and called my vet (they are not able to see him til mid may with this pandemic going on) and they didnt really seem too knowledgeable about the sphynx grooming portion so I created this account and I am really hoping I can utilize some of your guys knowledge/experience!

Here's the lowdown-
I have two sphynx cats aged 4 1/2. I usually bathe them and clip their nails every other week, sometimes once a week if needed (I clean the rest of them too, just not relevant for this).

My boy cat, Pugsley, had oral surgery on 4/1 so I bathed him the day before and the vet clipped his nails (this is the first time I have had his nailed clipped by them). I gave him extra time before his next bath so he could finish his meds and feel better. As I was about to bathe him last Friday (4/17) I was cleaning the gunk off his paws when I noticed he was missing his ENTIRE freaking claw! I about cried!! He didnt bleed from what I can tell and hes not limping, but hes definitely very sensitive!

As I said the vet didn't really give me much help so my questions are:
  • Do I avoid the bath completely?
  • If yes to baths still, what temp of water should I use? (at this point in quarantine, my acrylics are all coming off and my nails are super sensitive, especially with hot water so I can kind of relate to him but then again, my entire quick is not exposed)
  • If no to baths and I need to do wipe downs instead, which hes never loved, does anyone have any tips?
    • I have the pet wipes from petsmart and he squirms like its too cold
    • I have used a warm wash cloth and he hates that too. Maybe its the wet skin in the air? idk
  • Preventing infection: What is the best way to get rid of the gunk on his nails/between toes on the same paw so it doesnt infect the one he ripped off if he wont let me touch that paw?
    • Tried gently wrapping a warm washcloth around it but he ran.
He is so much dirtier than usual since he is now 3 1/2 week out from his normal grooming routine.

If you can help with any of my questions or provide anything about this kind of this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
On cleaning it I think the best thing is soaking. You could maybe try soaking in a wound spray like Vetrycin and then maybe use cotton swabs on it? I’d just make sure the solution isn’t too warm or it might sting. The other thought I’m having and mind you I haven’t tried this, is to use dental wax on the nail directly, then clean around it while it’s protected by the wax. Then the wax can be easily removed and you won’t have hurt his little claw quick. There is no telling how he did this. They can get it caught in blankets or scratchers and just rip it right off.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

WednesdayPugsly

Lairian
The first two replies on my first post are from Sheldon13 and Yoda mom. Scuse me while I fan girl for a sec.
I totally understand the vet thing, when the person I spoke to said "do you need to bath him?" I immediately decided to just turn to this community. When I tried to get a pic the day I found it he wasnt having it lol but I will try again! It is actually on the middle toe on his back paw.

I heard they grow back in layers and it will be a few months. If thats the case do you know how long it will be before he is not too sore for handling? Meaning like pushing his claws out to clip them and regular baths?

Thats an interesting idea. He doesnt like me to push his nails out on that paw which makes me think getting the wax on there painlessly would be difficult. but then again, I dont know.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@WednesdayPugsly , many of use vetericyn spray on skin. I use it or the Vetericyn VF (vet formula non rx I can find deals on, a little more potent supposedly but I didn't see much difference both work great and Non toxic. I spray swisppers cotton rounds with it and gently wipe, or dab on skin areas, toes.
1587777742777.png

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great advice given. I am glad that your baby seems ok and by helping keep that area clean you are helping reduce a possible infection. I am Veterycin user as well and thankfully that does sting at all. BTW welcome to Sphynxlair. Looking forward to getting to know more about you and your babies.

Back