Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kyliemckenna

Lairian
Casper is my 1 year old boy, neutered and has many things to claw and play on.

He destroyed my last upholstered headboard and I decided after him leaving my destroyed one alone to buy a new bed.
The new bed is upholstered with faux leather and I noticed claw marks already!! He doesn't scratch, just digs his claws in.
I can shut the door obviously but what can I do to make it so he isn't tempted to jump off/ sink his claws in to the headboard?

Do soft paws work on an active sphynx?
Any sprays (that won't ruin the material) etc that work?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can get bitter apple spray. If you see him clawing you need to get him right them and take him to
his scratching post. Take his paws and go down the post with them. Be persistent. Whatever you are taking him away
from, tell him no. Do you and him have a lot of play time?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Casper is my 1 year old boy, neutered and has many things to claw and play on.

He destroyed my last upholstered headboard and I decided after him leaving my destroyed one alone to buy a new bed.
The new bed is upholstered with faux leather and I noticed claw marks already!! He doesn't scratch, just digs his claws in.
I can shut the door obviously but what can I do to make it so he isn't tempted to jump off/ sink his claws in to the headboard?

Do soft paws work on an active sphynx?
Any sprays (that won't ruin the material) etc that work?
Many people have luck with soft paws. Sticky strips pictured below can surely help as well, if your crafty I'll bet you can make the strips yourself. Also trimming the claws more frequent and having scratching posts available in the room, more then one will surly help in less scratching. Did you throw the old headboard out? If not leave it in the room just for him and perhaps he would leave your new one alone. :)

304140801_lg.jpg

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've had good luck with the Soft Paws so far. Some may come off until you learn how to get them on properly. I only use them on front claws though. Bitter apple spray doesn't work on our cats unfortunately, but could work for you. Otherwise like admin said, lots of scratching posts! We also pick up and put on posts if we catch ours scratching something they shouldn't.

Back