Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Claws

suzanne

Lairian
I am new to this website and am enjoying seeing the faces os do many Sphynxes. I know only one other person with one and he inspired me to get Willie. Friends have suggested that I get him declawed but the breeder said no. Has anyone ever done this. I don't want to hurt or upsetr him. He is such a love, but in spite of clawing boards and such he has wrecked a few things.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do not want to be mean but that is a terrible thing to do to a cat.
It is like cutting a tip of the finger off.
It is not allowed in most breeder contracts.
Breeders can take cats away for that.
Do not listen to your friends.
Many cats will become very mean and bite after that and start not using the pain.
My Aunt made that terrible mistake.

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to the site Suzanne! My advice is to listen to your breeder! I would never get my cat decawed.....Why?

"Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat."

There are thousands of articles on the interenet about this subject, I highly recommend that you do some research if you are seriously considering declawing.
DECLAWING: What You Need to Know
Another good website.
DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Suzanne and welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad you found us! Declawing a cat is like cutting off the tips of your fingers! It can scar them physically and mentally as well. We do not recommend it. Please enjoy the site! We would love to see some pics! You should start a thread in "sphynx cat questions" about scratching post suggestions or scratching problems in general. Good luck!:ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

suzanne

Lairian
Thanks so much for your quick response. The last thing I would ever want to do is to hurt Willie, or make him mean. He is such a love. It would break my heart.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. I can't wait to hear more about Willie. I agree with your breeder and wouldn't recommend declawing him. I hope you will come to the same conclusion once you do your research into what the procedure involves. There are a lot of great tips on SL for keeping Willie's nails trimmed and helping him find something more appropriate to scratch. Good luck.

suzanne

Lairian
Thanks so much for the welcome and the reassurance that I am doing the right thing by not having him de-clawed. It hurts to think of it.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Everyone was posting so fast that I didn't see your pictures. Oh my goodness Willie is cute. And welcome to my fellow New Englander. :Wink:

suzanne

Lairian
I've had Willie for almost 2 years. He's the best cat I've ever had and my first Sphynx. I also have a dachsund Bonnie and they get along really well. Willie loves playing with my friends' Cavalier St. Charles Spaniel puppy and they change each other around the house.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! You've come to the right place for all types of questions and support. I don't have anything to add as you have gotten great advice on why not to declaw Willie - its a yucky mean thing to do to any animal.

Willie is gorgeous by the way!

Inferno12

Banned
I would agree with the no declaw thing. I have a cat that is completly declawed, front and back. I got him from the shelter and I got him because I knew there were people out there that didnt know how to take care of a completly declawed cat. I have to tell you that it is the saddest thing. He cant jump on anything because he cant grip nor does he have the confidence to jump on anything. He falls off the bed all the time trying to jump on it. One time I came home from work and he had fallen between the couch and the wall and was stuck upsidedown :Dizzy::Dizzy: I feel so bad for the guy. oh and his only defense is to bite so Johnny has bite marks on him all the time :Surprise:

You have a beautiful baby and welcome to the Lair

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh boy, I haven't read any responses to your post but you opened a can of worms. I'll sum it up for you.

Do not declaw your kitty. If you do and the people here find out, you'll wish you never got a cat.

Welcome to you and Willie! He is adorable! I think it is a great thing that you came here and got more information on declawing before you made a decision. What a good Sphynx Mommy!

A lot of people are not aware what awful things declawing actually involves or what it does to a cat both physically and mentally. I remember when I first found out what the procedure really was and I was appalled that people would choose to do that to a cat!

My two cats love their scratching post and I also bought this corrugated cardboard scratching box that they just adore! It was only 7 dollars and it is nothing more than a really thinks square of cardboard that resembles honeycomb. I sprinkle catnip on it and they just go to town on this thing! The catnip falls down in the holes after a bit so doesn't end up all over the house. The scratching box was only $7.00 so when it is all scratched up, I just get another. So far they seem to last about a month or two.

Look forward to hearing more about you and Willie! Pictures are always a favorite around here too!

suzanne

Lairian
I am so glad to get some good advice and happy to have found a website just for Sphynx's. Willie thanks you too.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Suzanne, Willie is a really handsome boy!

When training a kitty for scratching, get a good sturdy scratching post, preferably one that has sisal rope on it. Every time Willie wakes up, take him to the scratching post and rub his front paws on it. Cats like to instinctively scratch when they first wake up so that's your way of showing him where to do it. Sphynx are smart and I'm sure he'll catch on quickly. Be sure to give him lots of praise and lovings when you see him scratching there to reinforce it.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have no issues with declawing- as a LAST resort and always front paw, never all fours.

BUT most people jump into declawing with very little thought or concern for their cat- looks like you have both ;)

Have you tried a nice cat tree or two or three? I have a gorgeous cat tree I bought online- same one would have cost me $400 at the store- I think it was $150 with free shipping. Uh, Armakat is the maker, I believe.

Have you tried the corrugated cardboard as suggested? My cats love those- and rub some catnip on it and you have a cat's dream date!

Have you tried Soft Paws? They are gel caps you basically super glue over the nail- very humane, although you may have to replace a gel cap every week or so.

Have you tried a squirt bottle full of water? Zap him when he starts to claw on what you don't want him clawing.

Have you tried double sided sticky tape? Put it on the corners of the couch or fabric that he likes to claw- he will stop right away.

Also, to sum it up, IF you signed a contract with your breeder, you need to respect that contract regardless of what friends might say. It's the honorable thing to do and they are only looking out for their kittens- who were THEIR babies first- long before they were yours :)

Back