Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleaning a dirty sphynx nose

vengasejanis

Lairian
I've noticed that little Janis's nose has started to turn a dark brown color. I thought that her nose was just changing color, until I gave her a bath one day and the brown came off to reveal a little pink nose! I think I kept rubbing her nose with my hand and water that time I gave her a bath, but every time I try that same thing, I can't seem to get the brown off! I was told it was her oils just building up on her nose. I've tried rubbing her nose with a wet napkin, wet towel, baby wipe, and even some olive oil on a napkin and I can't seem to get the darn oils off! Do you all have any suggestions? I hate to rub at her nose very hard because I'm sure that's sensitive... Thanks everyone!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I've noticed that little Janis's nose has started to turn a dark brown color. I thought that her nose was just changing color, until I gave her a bath one day and the brown came off to reveal a little pink nose! I think I kept rubbing her nose with my hand and water that time I gave her a bath, but every time I try that same thing, I can't seem to get the brown off! I was told it was her oils just building up on her nose. I've tried rubbing her nose with a wet napkin, wet towel, baby wipe, and even some olive oil on a napkin and I can't seem to get the darn oils off! Do you all have any suggestions? I hate to rub at her nose very hard because I'm sure that's sensitive... Thanks everyone!
Brown noses that should be pink here too:)!
Somedays it's impossible to get the brown oil off, other days it's more easy. I noticed that it's easier when there is more brownish. If i try to clean it when there's only a little it's impossible, if I wait till there's a thin crust of brownish it's easy. I use a wash cloth an warm water and rub softly.
Then they have a cute pink mose for like an hour and then...the first brown spots are there again:)

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lol, I have a pinkie with a brown nose problem, too. I soak a little baby flannel in warm water, quite wet, then dab and hold gently on her nose to sort of let the moisture sink in. I'll then wash the rest of her face and go back to her nose at the end. The warm water loosens the dirt and makes it easier to wipe off. It lasts a couple of days nice and pink, but a few meals down the track it's getting brown again. I try to clean every few days to stop the build up and luckily Rosie is very good and sits still for me. I think she feels better after, so is a compliant little baby (y)
If it's really stuck on, try the finger of an exfoliating glove really gently, stroking down the middle from top to bottom, it's clean in seconds and none of that rubbing!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
A little bit of coconut oil will help remove the tough spots. :)

vengasejanis

Lairian
Thanks everyone! I noticed that the brown just fell off one day. I think once the oils accumulate, they eventually fall off? Which is still weird to me... I'll keep trying to clean it with a wet towel and see how it goes. I was thinking of trying coconut oil. I'll post again if I find anything else that works. :)

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Coconut oil.... I have a red and he gets a black line on his nose. I put a bit of coconut oil on his nose about 10 min before this back and then wipe it off with a dry wash cloth. The black/brown comes right off his nose!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Because Max's nose is black, I never thought it might be dirty. I'm afraid to wipe it now! LOL