Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleaning products and diet- new baby on 9th June!

Talia

Lairian
Hi!

Ive been obsessed with Sphynxs (and all animals) for years and years! I decided to finally go for it and get my own little Sphynx! He will not be ready until 9th June. He is a little dark wrinkly black boy! :')

I am aware you have to trim their nails, clean their ears and bathe them.
I am from the UK so have access to pets at home, jolleys, country wide, pets mate etc but also some online stores. Obviously also supermarkets like Tesco. I just have no idea what 'shampoo'/soap i should be buying. i heard the johnson baby soap is good but i want to stick to cruelty free/vegan products only. would it be worth looking on etsy? Also, I'm assuming a baby washcloth would be most gentle for washing him?

Also - the lady I'm getting him off his currently in the process of weaning them off their mothers milk and onto dry food. I can't say I'm too happy about the brand of dry food they're being weaned onto however when i get him i will be feeding him a diet that i believe he can do a a lot better on. Ive looked into Natures Menu wet food pouches as i think they are the closest i could get to going fully raw for meals (unless of course it was essential for some reason that he needed raw e.g other diets didn't work well with him). I was thinking maybe one one and a half pouches split up between morning and night and a little of royal canin kitten food to be left down for him?

What do you all think? If anyone is from the UK and has any other quality foods that i could feed him - but not too pricey - that would be great.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Talia welcome to sphynxlair! Good to have you here. What an exciting time you'll have ahead. Great you're already doing research for brands of food and other products. Hope members from the UK will chime in.

Is that little dark cutie in your avatar your soon to be boy? Are you able to visit him?

Natasja

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello,

Congrats on getting your baby boy! Do you have any pictures?!? I know there are a few companies (on Etsy) that sell natural sphynx soap. Other members have had luck with hy-lit soap. Baby washcloths are good but many members also use exfoliating bath gloves. They tend to help get your baby really clean. Make sure you get some of the food that the breeder is feeding. Even if it's not your preferred food. You will want to transition your kitty into something else slowly. They can get sick otherwise. Also, you will probably want to feed your kitty even more than you are thinking. Kittens basically should eat ask they can get in a 30 min setting about 3x per day. They can eat tons and tons as they are growing. Can't wait to hear more about your baby.

Talia

Lairian
@Talia welcome to sphynxlair! Good to have you here. What an exciting time you'll have ahead. Great you're already doing research for brands of food and other products. Hope members from the UK will chime in.

Is that little dark cutie in your avatar your soon to be boy? Are you able to visit him?

Natasja

Long story short I'm now no longer getting him :( found out he was not HCM tested and that worried me. Plus i saw she was weaning them onto GO Cat food...
i them found out about the ketamine issue with sphynx and i didn't want to risk getting him neutered if he had an underlying heart issue that was undetected as the parents were not HCM tested... :/ I've now found two reputable, and much more professional breeders actually in my area! One breeder is currently getting her two girlies HCM tested soon and then will be breeding them both later in the year, and the other breeder said they will be having litters in 7/8 months. They're have incredible bloodlines and am so happy i made this decision to wait because in the grand scheme of things, waiting around 8 months for a little kitten is going to be worth it as they live for 15 odd years!

Talia

Lairian
Hello,

Congrats on getting your baby boy! Do you have any pictures?!? I know there are a few companies (on Etsy) that sell natural sphynx soap. Other members have had luck with hy-lit soap. Baby washcloths are good but many members also use exfoliating bath gloves. They tend to help get your baby really clean. Make sure you get some of the food that the breeder is feeding. Even if it's not your preferred food. You will want to transition your kitty into something else slowly. They can get sick otherwise. Also, you will probably want to feed your kitty even more than you are thinking. Kittens basically should eat ask they can get in a 30 min setting about 3x per day. They can eat tons and tons as they are growing. Can't wait to hear more about your baby.

read my other reply and you will see that i no longer will be getting him :(
Yes i have seen people getting good results with exfoliating gloves, my initial thought though was that wouldn't it be too scratchy and painful for them!??

yes i agree, i think i got caught up reading about feeding and was thinking of an adult cat instead of a kitten haha! when my DSH was a little kitten (7 years ago now) she would eat and eat and eat! :')

Toa and Ross

Staff member
A good ans wise decision to not buy a kitten when the parents are not HCM tested. It's important to go with a reputable breeder, for the healt of your kitten and for the health of the breed in general. So hugs for you foe making this decision. You're going to be a wonderful mommy of a sphynx one day!
Natasja

Talia

Lairian
A good ans wise decision to not buy a kitten when the parents are not HCM tested. It's important to go with a reputable breeder, for the healt of your kitten and for the health of the breed in general. So hugs for you foe making this decision. You're going to be a wonderful mommy of a sphynx one day!
Natasja

Thankyou! :) Im in no rush to get one, i just want the healthiest little bundle of joy! haha x

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
read my other reply and you will see that i no longer will be getting him :(
Yes i have seen people getting good results with exfoliating gloves, my initial thought though was that wouldn't it be too scratchy and painful for them!??

yes i agree, i think i got caught up reading about feeding and was thinking of an adult cat instead of a kitten haha! when my DSH was a little kitten (7 years ago now) she would eat and eat and eat! :')

That's heart breaking. But, in the end I'm sure you made the right decision. I wish there were more responsible breeders around. Most of them are but some put the breed to shame.

Using gloves depends on the cat. Some love that feeling. Others might not. I guess it depends on the cat.

Back