Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleaning Sphynx Cat ears.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Why do I need to clean my Sphynx cat's ears?
Sphynx cats have more ear wax than most cats because they have little or no hair in their ears, so dirt, skin oils, and ear wax accumulate more frequently, the wax or dirt build up is usually brown to black in color. Sphynx cats ears will need to be cleaned on a weekly basis, usually before bath time.

How do I clean my Sphynx cat's ears and what do I use?
The method we use to clean our Sphynx cat's ears is apply the ear cleaner (Epi-otic) to the cotton ball, place the cotton ball in ear, just inside the ear, then message the base of the ear, which loosens the dirt, wax and oil from the ear, then take out the cotton ball, use a fresh cotton ball to wipe out the excess cleaner and dirt from the ear. If you find there is still dirt or wax in the ear gently but carefully with caution use a q-tip to clean the outer crevices of dirt out while not going any where near the inner ear or canal. Here is a great video we created to help you with cleaning your Sphynx ears.

Important: As always check with your vet first, and make sure all products are pet safe!

Last edited:

numums

Lairian
Is it okay to place drops directly into the ear canal and then use the cotton swab for the outermost parts that are visible to the eye? When my vet demonstrated, he squirted drops directly into the ear and used his fingers to massage it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@numums I personally don't flush ears. there are several methods members use to clean ears. I I wet swissper 100% cotton cosmetic rounds and brand name qtips( with trizultra w/keto ( I found others would shred and too thin, hard) and gently clean ears and gently squeeze cotton round in ear.
when I started I wore a little head lamp to help see. ). a search with the upper right box for previous threads on ear cleaning tips

numums

Lairian
@numums I personally don't flush ears. there are several methods members use to clean ears. I I wet swissper 100% cotton cosmetic rounds and brand name qtips( with trizultra w/keto ( I found others would shred and too thin, hard) and gently clean ears and gently squeeze cotton round in ear.
when I started I wore a little head lamp to help see. ). a search with the upper right box for previous threads on ear cleaning tips
okay, thank you for your input!