Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleaning Sphynx Cat ears.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Cleaning ears

Why do I need to clean my Sphynx cat's ears?

Sphynx cats have more ear wax than most cats because they have little or no hair in their ears, so dirt, skin oils, and ear wax accumulate more frequently, the wax or dirt build up is usually brown to black in color. Sphynx cats ears will need to be cleaned on a weekly basis.

How do I clean my Sphynx cat's ears and what do I use?
The method we use to clean our Sphynx cat's ears is apply the ear cleaner (Epi-otic) to the cotton ball, place the cotton ball in ear, just inside the ear, then message the base of the ear, which loosens the dirt, wax and oil from the ear, then take out the cotton ball, use a fresh cotton ball to wipe out the excess cleaner and dirt from the ear. If you find there is still dirt or wax in the ear gently but carefully with caution use a q-tip to clean the outer crevices of dirt out while not going anywhere near the inner ear or canal. Here is a great video we created to help you with cleaning your Sphynx ears.

Important: As always check with your vet first, and make sure all products are pet safe!

Last edited:

numums

Lairian
Is it okay to place drops directly into the ear canal and then use the cotton swab for the outermost parts that are visible to the eye? When my vet demonstrated, he squirted drops directly into the ear and used his fingers to massage it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@numums I personally don't flush ears. there are several methods members use to clean ears. I I wet swissper 100% cotton cosmetic rounds and brand name qtips( with trizultra w/keto ( I found others would shred and too thin, hard) and gently clean ears and gently squeeze cotton round in ear.
when I started I wore a little head lamp to help see. ). a search with the upper right box for previous threads on ear cleaning tips

numums

Lairian
@numums I personally don't flush ears. there are several methods members use to clean ears. I I wet swissper 100% cotton cosmetic rounds and brand name qtips( with trizultra w/keto ( I found others would shred and too thin, hard) and gently clean ears and gently squeeze cotton round in ear.
when I started I wore a little head lamp to help see. ). a search with the upper right box for previous threads on ear cleaning tips
okay, thank you for your input!

kailsgross

Lairian
Hey all, this seems like a great place to ask a question. My sphynx suffers from chronic ear infections! I've tried 2 different vet recommended ear cleaners but it seems like it always comes back! Any recommendations? I've changed food & litter to no avail. I currently use epiotic as recommended by my vet. We will often pull out big chunks of infected ear wax. I just want to give my baby more permanent relief! We have a prescription as needed of posatex, but I would love a more permanent solution. We clean her ears at least once a week, and she doesn't necessarily seem to be bothered, but I fear that's just because she's gotten used to the pain of an ear infection pretty much monthly. Any advice is appreciated!

Yoda mom

Staff member
a great video on sphynx ear cleaning. thank you Beloved Leonidas.

sharing these cotton pads are my go to wetting ear cleaner to wipe gently. I put a few qtips on top of the pad and wet both. (my vet got me hooked on trizultra w/keto 15 + years ago for ear cleaning. I get online. I like it is nearly scent free . I personally do not flush ears. I wipe out 2x a week . when using qtips, I use name brand as found others to be harder and shred.

I found a little headlamp can be helpful cleaning ears especially when you are a new mum/dad getting into the routine.

never an ear issue again with my crew.

Attachments

• swisspers.jpeg
    swisspers.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 79
  • trizultra.jpg
    trizultra.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

ashleymarie

Lairian
Why do I need to clean my Sphynx cat's ears?
Sphynx cats have more ear wax than most cats because they have little or no hair in their ears, so dirt, skin oils, and ear wax accumulate more frequently, the wax or dirt build up is usually brown to black in color. Sphynx cats ears will need to be cleaned on a weekly basis, usually before bath time.

How do I clean my Sphynx cat's ears and what do I use?
The method we use to clean our Sphynx cat's ears is apply the ear cleaner (Epi-otic) to the cotton ball, place the cotton ball in ear, just inside the ear, then message the base of the ear, which loosens the dirt, wax and oil from the ear, then take out the cotton ball, use a fresh cotton ball to wipe out the excess cleaner and dirt from the ear. If you find there is still dirt or wax in the ear gently but carefully with caution use a q-tip to clean the outer crevices of dirt out while not going any where near the inner ear or canal. Here is a great video we created to help you with cleaning your Sphynx ears.

Important: As always check with your vet first, and make sure all products are pet safe!

The vet made flushing look easy. Once at home...not so much. Our Henry HATED getting the liquid flushed in his ears and was so quick to shake it out. It made cleaning very difficult and messy to say the least. This cotton ball video was a game-changer for us! He tolerates it much better and even stays put without a fuss. So happy I came across this video and I'm sure Henry is too with his beautiful sparkling clean ears!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NewCatMom23 , I just checked. yes, Epi Otic discontinued.
From April 2023, Epi-Otic has been discontinued and replaced with EpiOtic SIS.

*** I have not used the SIS version.
I would recommend the product catzzzmeow posted in comment as an alternative or the trizultra w/keto for ear cleaning.

I use trizultra with keto (hardly any scent and they don't mind) with cotton swissper cottton rounds to wipe out ears, I actually dont flush ears. I wet the brand name qtips and swisspers, wipe ears 2x a week. Toby love 3x's a week. my vet got me hooked on trizultra w/keto almost 20 yrs ago for ear maintenance on pups and my sphynx

Back