Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleo has a URI now

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo had that eye infection from that show.
Then she was throwing up and then it turned into a bad cold.
The vet gave her Baytril today because the Clavamox did not help her.
Most of the cold is gone now but she still sneezes.
Wrinkles dia is gone and she is still on Clavamox.
It seems to go from cat to cat.
I had to use a cloth to get the dried up stuff off Cleos face.
Even Sasha got sick and she has never been sick ever.
Coco my old cat got it also.

Brooke

Banned
Cleo had that eye infection from that show.
Then she was throwing up and then it turned into a bad cold.
The vet gave her Baytril today because the Clavamox did not help her.
Most of the cold is gone now but she still sneezes.
Wrinkles dia is gone and she is still on Clavamox.
It seems to go from cat to cat.
I had to use a cloth to get the dried up stuff off Cleos face.
Even Sasha got sick and she has never been sick ever.
Coco my old cat got it also.

I hope she's well soon. Baytril is a great antibiotic, I'm sure she'll be feeling better soon. That really sucks, sick cats at shows. Are none of the cat shows vetted?? Some of them are, but I know the one we just had here was not.

I wonder, maybe next time you go to a show if it wouldn't be a good idea just to give all your cats an increase in their lysine dose for a week or so, just for the added immune boost? Can't hurt, right?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Everyone,
There are no vets at the shows here either.
Both the shows the cats got sick at were CFA shows.
The next show is a TICA show and I will increase the Lysine before the show.
Wrinkles is ok now.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks Everyone,
There are no vets at the shows here either.
Both the shows the cats got sick at were CFA shows.
The next show is a TICA show and I will increase the Lysine before the show.
Wrinkles is ok now.

I'm glad Wrinkles is alright now. :) Hopefully your other kitties get better soon. Cat Shows sound like taking your kids into day care.(There are germs everywhere)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Everyone,
Cat Shows do have so many germs and it is worse this time of year.
Wrinkles breeder knows that Wrinkles got sick and she said that is why she does not want to show.
She is very afraid of bringing germs into her cattery.
She really should show though.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
That stinks people should be more aware when they have A sick pet and keep them home!
just like kids, this makes me crazy!!!!
hope you gang is feeling better.

susi794

Staff member
Thanks Everyone,
Cat Shows do have so many germs and it is worse this time of year.
Wrinkles breeder knows that Wrinkles got sick and she said that is why she does not want to show.
She is very afraid of bringing germs into her cattery.
She really should show though.

Why? Really, why should anyone show? I know it judges the standards of the breed, I know having a champion cat increases the cost of the kittens produced by that cat--so I suppose if you are in it for a business, then show. But if it endangers the health of your cat and can potentially spread to your whole cat family--that hardly seems worth it to me. No title is worth losing my cat over, or even making them suffer and I have known of a few people that lost their cats due to catching something at one of the shows. Not trying to judge anyone that does show--I just don't understand what the benefits are.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Mentor almost lost herDam last May because she got sick from a show.
She is preg now and due the end of Jan.
They sayso the breeders could learn the standards better.
I understand both sides.

It's very important to show, not for increasing the cost of the kittens, but knowing you have high quality animals improving the breed. Poor quality, weak immune system, poor type, poor temperment animals just detract from the breed and there's no goal other than to just make money(which is what alot of breeders out there are doing). We always hope every breeder is trying to improve the species, not just churn out kittens because they're hairless. Breeding as a whole is a money pit if you do it right. You might make enough to cover your costs, but that's about it.

If you're at a show and you notice the clerks not cleaning the enclosures well, tell them. All sides need to be cleaned, not just the bottom. Baron has never gotten sick from a show. If I see something happening that I don't agree with, I tell someone and it gets fixed. From the shows I've been to, if there's a sick cat then it gets sent home.

Between vet visits, HCM scans, vaccinations, the time and money spent raising litters and caring for mom, spaying/neutering, feeding, toys, etc, there's not alot of money left over. But the good breeders are out there and they know that there's always room to improve the breed/species.

Plus, showing cats is very good socialization for them and you. They get to experience noises, smells, sights, different people touching them, and they generally realize that it's okay. Some don't do well at shows, but most do fine. If you're worried about them catching something, always bring hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes(I recommend paper towels and OdoBan or a 10% bleach solution). Dose them with L-Lysine a few days before the show and afterwards and that will help bump their immune system up in case another cat is carrying something. Cats can be silent carriers of disease as well, such as Bordatella(Kennel Cough), and not show any symptoms. Just be sure your cat is up to date on all vaccinations and they should be just fine.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not giving up showing.
I have been learning what the judges like at the shows.
In fact I have 3 shows in Jan.\
I bring sanitizer also.
If I showed Cleo and Wrinkles against each other Cleo would beat her in every ring.
Wrinkles can not even final even when she is the only sphynx but she is a kitten so I amd not sure if se will do better when she is older.
I have been showing since April and had never had a cat get sick until Oct.
You can learn so much from the shows.
Cleo comes from a good breeder.
Wrinkles comes from a breeder that cares alot about health but does not want to show.
I am going to get a 3rd sphynx to show.
of course it has to be good show quality.

susi794

Staff member
Well, I guess I am in the minority here. I do not believe for one second, that showing your sphynx is the only way to work toward strengthening the breed.
And I get a little resentful when I hear that the breeders who don't show are all in it for the money. :Angry:
Making money is a good thing. Do you honestly believe that most breeders aren't attempting to do so? Be very careful about making the kind of judgements like I just read here. :Angry:

Brooke

Banned
Well, I guess I am in the minority here. I do not believe for one second, that showing your sphynx is the only way to work toward strengthening the breed.
And I get a little resentful when I hear that the breeders who don't show are all in it for the money. :Angry:
Making money is a good thing. Do you honestly believe that most breeders aren't attempting to do so? Be very careful about making the kind of judgements like I just read here. :Angry:

I agree with you Susi, showing is not the only way to strengthen the breed. Sure, it definitely has it's proper place, and I am a fan of showing - but it simply judges the looks of the cats. Many a champion has died from HCM. Clearly, showing those cats did not strengthen their hearts (and probably doomed some of their kittens) though they were beautiful and conformed to the standards perfectly...

Susi, when you made the decision to have your girl spayed after she lost so many kittens from her litter, that spoke volumes to me, because that is another way you strengthen the breed - by eliminating those from your program that are unhealthy or unfit for breeding.

Combine showing, with health testing, genetics, eliminating the unfit cats from a program, etc., etc., etc., and then people can start to believe they're strengthening the breed, but I don't think any one of those things by itself can ever claim to do so.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with Brooke.
Wrinkles breeder is not in it for the money.
She wants to better the breed and really cares about the health of her cats.
Wrinkles was sold as a show quality kitten and she is not doing well.
If her breeder was showing she would have known more.
I paid more for her then I did for Cleo and she finals.
I am disapointed in Wrinkles buts till love her.
Wrinkles does not even final when she is the only sphynx there.
Some of these are the same judges that love Cleo.
Cleo was not expected to do well in CFA but she does fine.
I am mad about Wrinkles and will get a good show cat soon.

susi794

Staff member
I can understand when you don't get what you pay extra for. Next time, you should ask the breeder for some close up photos so you can judge the muzzle, chin, stop, ears and eyes. I have a power point presentation that will help anyone better understand what to look for in a quality representation of the breed. Here it is:
http://www.facebook.com/l/;http://www.sphynxlover.com/sphynxpresentation.htm
I educated myself, looked for affirmation from the expert mentors I have and I felt I did a nice job picking out both Boo and Lulu. Am very anxious to see what kind of kittens they throw.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susi, the link you provided didn't work. I'd be very interested in seeing your presentation, as I know nothing about the desirable qualities of the sphynx breed and would love to get more educated. I know more about the Siamese and Oriental breeds as I've had Siamese cats for most of my life.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks,
The link did not work.
I sent you a friend request on facebook.
Wrinkles breeder did not even know she was a thermal.
When I bought her she was almost all white with a little seal coloring.
Now she is Seal Tortie Point and White.
My Mentor has been helping me learn and Cleos breeder has given me great advice also.
I want someone to tell me exactly what is wrong with Wrinkles.
Cleos breeder does have a kitten that might wor out for me.
I trust him so there will be no problems showing.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks,
The link did not work.
I would love to read taht.
I sent you a friend request on facebook.
Wrinkles breeder did not even know she was a thermal.
When I bought her she was almost all white with a little seal coloring.
Now she is Seal Tortie Point and White.
My Mentor has been helping me learn and Cleos breeder has given me great advice also.
I want someone to tell me exactly what is wrong with Wrinkles.
Cleos breeder does have a kitten that might wor out for me.
I trust him so there will be no problems showing.

Back