Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleopatra is sick

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
And I am very, very worried. Two days ago, I noticed diarrhea in the litter box. I didn’t think too much about it at the time, other than to tell Bob and we started the cats on some pumpkin and probiotics. On Wednesday, Cleo had some gas problems, but Bob told me that the diarrhea seemed to be better, so we still didn’t think much about it. Nothing else changed. The cats were doing their things, and everything seemed fine. Yesterday, I got up at my normal 5 AM and fed the cats. Cleo got up with me as usual, did all her morning stuff with me as usual, but I wasn’t really paying much attention to how much she was eating, because I was focused on getting to work on time. As I look back now, she did want to go back to bed as soon as she finished breakfast, which was a bit unusual. I thought it was because Bob was sleeping in, and the morning was cool.

When I got home yesterday afternoon, I didn’t go in the house, but picked up Bob to do some shopping. He told me that Cleo had at least 3 or 4 times where she had small amounts of diarrhea, both in and out of the box in front of him, and threw up some bile at one point. She also wouldn’t eat and wanted to only sleep on our bed, covered with a quilt. Bob gave her some kaolin pectin that we keep for them, and let her sleep until we could talk. So we called our vet and set an appointment for him to come out at noon today. When we got home with some special treats from the store—a Fancy Feast salmon filet and some Fancy Feast Broths that looked like she would enjoy, I took some Broth into the bedroom. Cleo totally ignored the broth, (which Marcus practically inhaled), so I got her up to give her some more kaolin pectin (a cat-safe form of Kaopectate). She walked around a little bit and then wanted to go back to bed. It didn’t help that I actually stepped on her tail, which made her pretty indignant.

I am so worried, because she has been sleeping in the same spot since about 4:30 PM yesterday. Her eyes are bright, gums are pink, and she wasn’t showing signs of dehydration last night. She is alert when we pet her and talk to her, and most of the time, she is sleeping in a relaxed posture. We have had cats with kidney failure, cancer and heart issues at various times (not all at the same time), and they never acted like this. She is also not acting like she has a blockage. She is acting like her stomach and gut are upset.

I know only too well that she needs to eat soon, and that she can dehydrate very fast. We can’t afford the emergency vet, and her vet will be here in just a few hours. But I miss her “alarm clock” waking me up and demanding food. I also miss her nagging Bob to feed her and chasing Marcus around. She is responsive to us, but will not purr, and I am worried.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Cleopatra Beers Lair Prayers are sent. I hope it is simply an upset stomach. We recently have helped my MIL with her cat. He has same runny poop, throwing up until bile. A shot of Cerenia and subcutaneous fluids had him settled. He was turned off by food and she had to switch flavors because the smell of the usual one must have turned him off as well. I will be looking for updates.

Hugs are sent

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Cleo. Its so upsetting when they're not well and we have no idea why. Following for updates. {}

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everybody
I am sorry that I didn’t get back earlier. It has been a hectic two days. Thursday night, Cleo slept in our bed from 5 pm until Friday Morning, when the vet came at 11 AM. We didn’t sleep too well—Bob, because she was on his side of the bed, and me, because I was really worried about her.
When the vet came out, he checked her out thoroughly, and said it was gastroenteritis. Cleo got an appetite stimulant/anti nausea shot, and because she wasn’t dehydrated, that was it for now. She didn’t have a fever, and he warned us that she may need up to three injections (once a day) before it really took effect. Before the vet left, she was drinking water and ate some Fancy Feast Broth that I had bought to tempt her.

Last night, she got up a few times, and I could hear her drinking and dabbling her paw in the water dish. I don’t think she ate much, and this morning, we found more diarrhea. So we called the vet, and he called in an antibiotic, Metronidazole, 1/3 tablet once a day. We ground up the first dose and made a paste of baby food chicken and tuna with it, but she wasn’t too happy about taking it. She is drinking, but not really eating.

So late this afternoon, I was trying to catch up on a project, when there was a knock at the door. The vet had come by to see if she was eating yet. When Bob said no, he gave her another shot. We have had several cats with this, so while we could do blood tests, Cleo’s symptoms are exactly aligned with gastroenteritis, and the tests ate very, very expensive. I love the service that this vet gives—we didn’t ask him to come out today, but he showed up just to check on her.

Cleo has been drinking and dabbling her paw in her water dish, and a bit more lively today. But I keep trying to tempt her to eat, and she just isn’t interested. I am hoping that the antibiotic and injections will help to get her eating by tomorrow. Marcus, on the other hand, is enjoying all the toys, loves the attention he gets from the vet (with NO shots!), and is eating all the food we feed him. His main problem is that he has no idea when to ask for food. That is definitely Cleo’s job, and with her sick, he is always surprised when food is put down for him.

Thanks for all your support and concern. She isn’t all better yet, but hopefully it will be soon!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, so happy to see an update even if it is not a perfect one. So awesome your vet stopped by again and is helping you, Bob and Cleo get past the hardest bumps. Tummy issues take a few days to get them to want to eat and then the challenge of digesting isn’t always easy. Thanks for the update. @Cleopatra Beers

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Very reliefed to read an update. Glad Cleo is drinking water. Hopefully the shots and meds will help her to eat soon. Sending more healing vibes.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What a lovely vet you have. It’s clear he cares to stop in on his own like that. Hoping the shots are all she needs and she’ll be back to eating in no time. More healing vibes and hugs are sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thinking of you and hoping you get some decent rest. Not easy with the worry. Hopefully your kitty will be better soon. Positive thoughts sent your way.. Raphael and Anne

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi all
Thanks for all your concerns. By Monday, Cleo was almost back to normal, and by Wednesday, you would have never known that she was sick. Today, they got their much-delayed baths, and Cleo cussed me out thoroughly, as she kept trying to get out of the tub. This isn’t her first bout of gastroenteritis, but it worries me each time. Fortunately, she usually goes for a few years between bouts, and Marcus appears to have a cast-iron gut. So hopefully it’ll be a long time before we deal with it again.

Back