Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
How often should I clip my Sphynx cat's nails and how?

We recommend clipping your Sphynx cat's nails every seven to ten days depending on how much you clip the nail back. We prefer regular human nail clippers. We just clip the very tip so we do it a little bit more often, once a week right before bath time. Your Sphynx cat should be resting comfortably on your lap, the floor, or a table. Hold a paw in one hand and press a toe pad gently to extend the claw. Notice the pink tissue (the quick) on the inside of the claw. Avoid the quick when you trim the claw. Cutting into it will cause pain and bleeding. Remove the sharp tip below the quick (away from the toe), clipping about halfway between the end of the quick and the tip of claw. If your cat becomes impatient, pet them and praise them and continue on. Many find wrapping their cat in a towel like a "purrito" and pulling one paw at a time works well.

Why should I clip my sphynx nails?

Trimming your cats nails to deter them from shredding furniture or any other sort of house hold items. It's a natural behavior and cats will normally do this to shed nail layers. In the wild they would use trees. Also when having playtime trimmed nails can help in not getting a severe wound. Cat scratches can become serious health issues.

TIP:
Use baby wipes to clean under the nails and any other part of the Sphynx little toes where all that black dirty stuff hangs out , especially in and around the flappy piece of skin by the nail area. Here is a video we created to help. Sharp clippers are important as they cut quicker, so replacing old/dull clippers can be helpful.

Important: As always check with your vet first, and make sure all products are pet safe!

catclaw.jpg

Last edited:
Back