Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Clogged Pores

Moonstone

Lairian
I have 6 sphynx and I don't bath them...never...

None of them have clogged pores...I don't know if there is a link.

I really don't know, does someone else have an answer for this ?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Instead of bathing her more you can try baby wipes to give it a wipe daily, she obviously is just getting her chin dirtier than other parts. I seena chinese crested once who eas neglected & its whole body was like that.

Moonstone

Lairian
My 2 chinese crested dogs have clogged pores everywhere. Their skin is not like the sphynx one, much more fragile.

I will try a new product, that equilibrate the skin. it is a skin reparing care, made with natural things.

I'm sure it will be good for them and their fragile skin.

I tried it on one sphynx (a neutered male) who began to have a very "dry" skin. The skin was peeling, and was not sweet. My vet put the oil on it and now his skin is perfect !

it is "DERMOSCENT" products. perhaps it could be good for clogged pores too.

sassyskye79

Lairian
Jazelle get those little black heads on her tail too. They are few and far between. Her chin is another story. I try to clean her face as much as I can. I thought it might have been the way she eats or her food. Not really sure..

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Moonstone how do you manage to not give any of your sphynx A bath? If I did that with Leo I would have stains on everything and he would look really bad, he is always so dirty poor guy he will not bother to clean himself A bit, too lazy I guess. So what's your secret?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
FOR REAL!!!! Kramer leaves a ring around the tub! LOL! The dirty little man had 2 baths this week! I am am OCD with cleaning!

Brooke

Banned
my male River actually gets blackheads on his tale!! its really gross.

My boy Walter has this, too. I asked the vet about it - it's called "Stud Tail", it's perfectly harmless and occurs usually in intact male cats. I got Walter when he was 2 and he wasn't fixed yet. Since I've fixed him, the blackheads are starting to go away, plus he lets me squeeze them out...its kinda nasty, but I can't help myself!!

~Brooke

Moonstone

Lairian
Moonstone how do you manage to not give any of your sphynx A bath? If I did that with Leo I would have stains on everything and he would look really bad, he is always so dirty poor guy he will not bother to clean himself A bit, too lazy I guess. So what's your secret?

Except Hanky who needs to be cleaned with a warm wet towel every 2-3 weeks, the others are quite "clean". But I put plaids on each sofa and I wash them regularly. I think that plaids help them to be clean...
exemple:
last week, we went to our "holydays" home. my white princess became gray and black very fast because of the dust and the soot (wood stove), beurk...she was really dirty. We returned home today and after only several hours my white princess is clean again !!!
miracle ! without a bath ! but with plaids !
;-))

eva_jae

Lairian
Caesar gets tons of blackheads in his chin and upper lip, but Ruby doesn't get any. Seeing they eat the same foods and live int he same home, it's definitely just genetic. Some people get zits, some don't!

I squeeze them out too. It's so incredibly nasty but has to be done.

Pbinky

Banned
my boys have the black heads as well, on their chins and tails. my vet said it's common in hairless breed and suggested an omega 3 supplement. i found one specifically for cats at my local health food store. i've had my first boy on it for several months now and his skin is so soft and beautiful! i just got my second boy so we'll have to wait and see!
oh, and they let me squeeze them too...nasty but i can't myself either :Laugh:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
my boys have the black heads as well, on their chins and tails. my vet said it's common in hairless breed and suggested an omega 3 supplement. i found one specifically for cats at my local health food store. i've had my first boy on it for several months now and his skin is so soft and beautiful! i just got my second boy so we'll have to wait and see!
oh, and they let me squeeze them too...nasty but i can't myself either :Laugh:

That's a good idea about the omega 3 supplements; I'd like to try it on Piglet as she's getting a few blackheads on her tail, too. Is there a specific brand name I should look for? Unlike your cats, Piglet doesn't like it when I try to pick the blackheads...LOL!

saintbabby

Lairian
Except Hanky who needs to be cleaned with a warm wet towel every 2-3 weeks, the others are quite "clean". But I put plaids on each sofa and I wash them regularly. I think that plaids help them to be clean...
exemple:
last week, we went to our "holydays" home. my white princess became gray and black very fast because of the dust and the soot (wood stove), beurk...she was really dirty. We returned home today and after only several hours my white princess is clean again !!!
miracle ! without a bath ! but with plaids !
;-))

what are these "plaids?" do you mean wool tartan-type cloth? like the thick woven wool cloth? whatever it is, i think i want some..

Ninja_Katana

Lairian
Does anyone have a problem with clogged pores on your cats chin? Jazelle chin is very prone to this. Any suggestions?
I have an 18 month Sphynx named Ninja and recently I noticed black spots on his upper back and just under his ear. They are pure black small spots (bigger than a black head) that are not raised or rough. I took him to the vet and they said it might be over active sebaceous glands. They gave me an ointment for it but it bleaches my furniture. Any one else dealing with this? He started with one spot and now has about 10. Help?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have an 18 month Sphynx named Ninja and recently I noticed black spots on his upper back and just under his ear. They are pure black small spots (bigger than a black head) that are not raised or rough. I took him to the vet and they said it might be over active sebaceous glands. They gave me an ointment for it but it bleaches my furniture. Any one else dealing with this? He started with one spot and now has about 10. Help?

Hello and welcome!
I am trying to get A visual of what you are saying? Could you take A picture and let us have A look? I think that will help.

Brooke

Banned

My boy Walter had the same thing before I got him neutered. It's often found at the base of their tail and on the chin, if you do a google search for "stud tail", you'll find tons and tons of different suggestions for ways to clean this. A lot of people here have had success with Stridex pads (you can find at any drug store).

Good luck!

alana447

Lairian
Hi my little Lodai---actually not so little anymore (almost 4) hes had black heads on his chin for easily a few years now--took him to his vet to find out what is was (also a few yrs. back) anyway his vet (who I adore) wasnt in--so we used the vet on duty--she tried to tell me it was some form of kitty herpes (B.S) lets just say Lo didnt care for her and I didnt really either----so no way around it their black heads (hes a blue seal) so I dont know if it might have something to do with his skin or ???--but when they get bad I just lightly squeeze them against a tissue (gross)but they come out easy (not his favorite thing) but it works---then I take a wet cold cloth and wipe his chin--you know to help clothes the pores--we do this at least once a month--and like I said for yrs now---hope this helps happy holidays alana

sciumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Astor had a big problem with stud tail.

I took him to the vet who nipped a little skin sample to send to a dermatologist for confirmation and, yes, his subaceous glands are overactive--he also had some secondary infections.

I tried sooooo many "home remedies" but I got a special shampoo from the vet called "Pyoben" (with benzoyl peroxide). After a few weeks of washing his tail twice weekly, it cleared up entirely!

He was neutered around the same time as we started using the medicated shampoo, but I think it was the shampoo that ultimately "cured" him. Astor's tail still has some blackheads from time to time, but I'm sure if I kept up with weekly washings (I've barely touched the stuff in months), it would clear up.

He even got to like having his tail washed at night, even though he had to sit for five to ten minutes (we never made it past five, he got too antsy). But he liked being thrown over my shoulder and having his tail rubbed :)

Astor also has blackheads on his chin. They aren't nearly as severe as his stud tail was, and I can sometimes scratch them off (I would squeeze them, but he hates it--I'm pretty sure it hurts a little--and since it's not causing any harm, I usually don't bother).

I still have plenty of Pyoben, so I might try washing his chin a couple times a week.

elleinad8050

Lairian

I was just about to write a post identical to this! Honestly, Hipo starts to stain things at like day 8 of no bath.. so I can't imagine a bathless lifestyle.
Moonstone, what is your secret??

2Knights

Lairian
Arthur has these are around his lips and under his chin.

I haven't seen any anywhere else though.

The worst ones that were hard and sticking out from the skin I bathed him, held a warm flannel to his chin then dried it and gently squeezed them with my fingers not the nails, the amount of gunk that came out was amazing - how all that fitted in there???? There seemed to be a very hard dark plug that was a good 5 mm long then the rest was softer oily stuff, bit gritty. The hardest ones haven't come back, there are a few smaller ones that look a bit like blue spots on his pink chin, but he doesn't like me trying to squeeze those as they don't come out as easily. So I leave them.

sanjulee

Lairian
Our Angel has a very hard dark spot on her side. Occassionally I am able to squeeze some oily substances out of it but it never seems to go all the way down. She is bathed regularly and this is the only one that she has. Never had issues with her chin but would love to know how to get rid once and for all of the one on her back. Is there some way to open the pore and drain all that stuff out?????

Back